Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• District 9- A film by Neill Blomkamp

Watch this first, boys and girls

District 9 is based on Alive in Joburg, a short film directed by Neill Blomkamp, Sharlto Copley, Simon Hansen and Shanon Worley. Copley also portrayed one of the interviewed policemen. The short film is about aliens landing in South Africa and becoming confined to a specific area and forced to work.

In the movie, aliens made first contact with Earth twenty-eight years ago while humanity waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world. The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa's District 9 as the world's nations argued over what to do with them. Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been contracted out to Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare - they will receive tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work.

So far, they have failed; activation of the weaponry requires alien DNA. The tension between the aliens and the humans comes to a head when an MNU field operative, Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), contracts a mysterious virus that begins changing his DNA. Wikus quickly becomes the most hunted man in the world, as well as the most valuable - he is the key to unlocking the secrets of alien technology. Ostracized and friendless, there is only one place left for him to hide: District 9.
    So awesome after seeing the trailer above, and more of Neil Blomkamp's work the better, such an amazing director. Anyone else looking forward to this?

One of Neil Blomkamp's short films, with the similar tone on what to expect
    Link here
    Last edited by Zombie Fred; 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM.

No offense to Mr. Blomkamp (or his fans, for that matter), but I honestly have to wonder if this movie would be getting nearly as much coverage as it is if it weren't for the whole Halo movie debacle. I'd wager most people had never even heard of him until his name was tied to Halo.

Comment

I remember seeing the trailer for this before Bruno. It looks pretty interesting, and I like the social commentary of it. The aliens do look very creepy, I shrunk back into my chair a little.

Comment

I remember surfing on some viral sites, which had some kind of alien language ans stuff about the movie, like a year ago.

Comment

Oh god, this film looks epic.

Comment

Hmm. Can't remember the last time I saw an 'alien' movie trailer that actually showed the 'aliens' in the trailer.

Looks interesting...but at the same time, I don't really think it looks very good. Is it coming out in the US?
            Last edited by Vector; 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome. Gets released here on August 13, one day before the US. I'll try and see it then.

Comment

Looks interesting, always liked movies with Aliens in it, might have to see this.

Comment

This film reminds me of Cloverfield.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                    This film reminds me of Cloverfield.
                    And that movie was awful.

Hopefully District 9 isn't nearly as bad. XD

Comment

Cloverfield was amazing.

Hopefully District 9 will be half as good.

Last edited by BadWolfX; 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Cloverfield is the only horror/suspense movie that's been released in the last few years that I found tolerable.

Comment

I thought cloverfield was alright. Sorta cool, by far nothing spectacular. District 9 looks interesting. I may see it.

Comment

Cloverfield was great. An original concept, plus decent effects and acting.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                              Looks awesome. Gets released here on August 13, one day before the US. I'll try and see it then.
                              In Australia? Or UK?

Comment

Working...
                              X