Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Create Your Own 3D RE Game (tutorials)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Create Your Own 3D RE Game (tutorials)

Hello!
    I've taken some time out and written a guide for the horror is alive forums.
    The guide will tell you how to create your own Resident Evil game from start to finish and will also include how to use the 3D program needed for it. This guide will cover the 2 main game types:
    Classic Horror (tank controls, pre rendered backgrounds)
    Next Gen RE (like re4 and 5)
    I will even show you how to use the ps3 and xbox controller in your game.

Currently i have completed Part 1.

Part 1 includes:
    Introduction
    -Intro
    -Planning your game

Basics Of Blender 3D
    -Explanation of the menus and button shortcuts and what they do
    -Creating a ps1 style character
    -Texturing the character
    -Rigging the character with a skeleton
    -animating the character
    -Rendering the animation as a pic or video file.

I have tried to make this as fast as i can, if you come across any typos or anything i havnt explained, please ask me on here or PM me and i shall fix it.

Part 2 will include:
    More Advanced Tutorials
    -particle system
    -advanced texture effects
    -how to create all the texture maps you need and how to use them
    -Creating a high res REmake style character
    -basics of the game engine
    -how to incorporate the ps3 and xbox controller into your game

Part 2 basicly will get you ready for using the game engine.

Part 3 will include:
    - actualy creating the game
    - all the programs you need and how they work
    -how to export it as a seperate runtime file

Part 3 will be more detailed than that, but it would be a long list if i wrote it out

All tutorials will have a videos and screen shots to go with them.
    While im writing part 2, you'll have the first file to use so you can get the hang of blender 3D.
    It takes time to write these guides and to build models to show you how to make (i need to know how to make them first dont forget!)...then i need to skim through my guide to make corrections and add extra videos. So your going to need paitance with this.

If you have a problem opening the text files, download the microsoft word viewer from the microsoft website
    Last edited by Andyfer_Ruu; 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM.

I would be interesting in reading all this.

Comment

^ Same here.

A good uploading website where you can set your own user account would be.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

You can organize files by folders as well
      Last edited by Kaneco; 07-22-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I'm interested how your gonna explain making a engine from scratch i've tried doing games before with DarkBASIC http://thegamecreators.com/ etc but always hit a wall because of needing to learning new programming languages.
        I've got pc magazine that has part of a tutorial for XNA Game Studio if that helps.
        I hate blender too can't you make it for 3DS Max and Character Studio.
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM.
        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Wait, so this will teach you to make an entire game engine from scratch?

As much as I'd like to do this, could you give a list of prerequisites, if any?

I'm barely learning BASIC, and want to move on to C and C++ later on.

Comment

this looks like a promising project keep up the good work i shall be watching this closely

Comment

EDIT: LINK TO PART 1 IS IN THE MAIN POST.
              Good morning people!
              basicly, the game engine comes with the 3D modeling program Blender 3D, so you dont have to program one.
              How ever the game engine can be customized to suit your needs. Blender uses something called logic bricks aswell as python programming, logic bricks are basicly this....say if i have a HP bar...i would set logic bricks up like this... Message: Damage --->when damage is recieced ---> take 5 health away

that sort of thing : P more complicated stuff will require abit of programming, but i will include them in my guide.

I'll work on part 2 while you take a look at part 1. Once your done with that try looking up different tutorials on the web while you wait for the next guide.
              Last edited by Andyfer_Ruu; 07-23-2009, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the first part of the guide, I'll give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by SonicBlue View Post
                  Thanks for the first part of the guide, I'll give it a try
                  awesome!
                  if some parts arnt clear, just tell me and i'll type it out again on here more clearly.

Edit: Hm..part 2 seems to be explained alot better than part 1 xD
                  If anyone needs me to, i'll re-write part 1
                  Last edited by Andyfer_Ruu; 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM.

Comment

This sounds interesting. Will the finished game be playable on PC only? Also could you post a picture of a finished game, would be nice to see what to expect.

Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                      This sounds interesting. Will the finished game be playable on PC only? Also could you post a picture of a finished game, would be nice to see what to expect.

Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil?

yes, PC only
                      I will whip up a demo level quickly to show you what a finished game would be like.
                      ( i will make a small level with classic re camera angles with the option of switching over to the over the shoulder camera ) Enemies take a while to make and program, so is it ok if i leave them out of the demo for now?

Comment

A video would be great thanks
                        I'm assuming the enemys need programming, so what language is it Python? Would Lua or Basic work?

One thing, what did you use to open the text files with. I opened them with Notepad and it's displaying some funky characters and a little text.
                        Last edited by Harry Mason; 07-23-2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

A video would be great thanks
                          I'm assuming the enemys need programming, so what language is it Python? Would Lua or Basic work?
                          Python, but you can use logic bricks aswell to help program it.
                          I'll give another example.
                          I could set my logic bricks up like this for an enemie:
                          Near sensor ---> and controller ---> action

basicly, in the near sensor, i would tell it to look for an object with a property called 'character'

When the character gets within a certain distance, the sensor will tell the controller to do something (controllers determine if an action should be taken straight away or not)

since my controller is set to 'and' that means once the main character is near the enemie, it will automaticly play an animation. That animation can be an attack or what ever you want it to be.

Comment

One more question on setting up Blender I downloaded the package and installed it, but as it started up it asked for ver 2.6.2 do I need that too?

Comment

One more question on setting up Blender I downloaded the package and installed it, but as it started up it asked for ver 2.6.2 do I need that too?
                              Thats odd you shouldnt need it...
                              Try downloading the ZIP file for blender instead, that should work.
                              (thats what i have)

Comment

Working...
                              X