Good Zombie Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Zombie Movies

Alright, so the other day I spot Day of the Dead on TV and go, 'Ohhh, I haven't seen that in ages, I'll grab that.' Turns out to be the remake. 'OK,' I says, 'I know it's awful but how bad can it be? I'll give it a watch...'

I'm still bleeding from both my arse and my eyes.

So, to get the taste of that out of my mouth I need good zombie movies, ones I've never seen for preference. This may be difficult. Especially since I can't see due to my eyes bleeding and all.

Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz
    Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

28 Days Later and Dawn of The Dead remake quickly come to mind, at least for films that came out recently.

As far as the old ones go, I'm not too sure. I tried watching a few of them like Night of The Living Dead, but the black and white picture, poor acting and shoddy effects did nothing for me. I'm sure in its time it was really special, but I thought it was lame. The zombies basically standing in one spot and reaching for their victims didn't help much either. That's not really scary, to be honest.

Slow and stupid zombies work in video games sometimes, but not in movies. I'd much rather have the tension of being chased by a zombie that's as fast if not faster than me, like in 28 Days Later and Dawn of The Dead.

Comment

Day Of The Dead.

the original.

Comment

Shaun of The Dead! Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one. It's probably because in the movie category, I think more 'awesome' than I do 'zombie' even though that's what the whole film is really all about. That's definitely up there, though...one of my favorite movies in the last few years as well.

Comment

The 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead is a good one. The zombies are still slow, but they are very creepy. Then there's the Evil Dead series, but I'm sure everyone has seen those films.

These are other good ones:

Zombi 2
            The Beyond
            Demoni (Demons) 1 & 2
            Night of the Comet
            Night of the Creeps
            Flesheater
            Dead Alive (directed by Peter Jackson)
            Night of the Demons (...it's really cheesy)

...thats all I can think of right now.
            Last edited by CODE_umb87; 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I'm both proud and slightly depressed that I've seen almost all the suggestions so far, and own a good chunk on DVD. So far CODE is winning. There a couple in that list I've never seen.

On a technical note, 28 Days doesn't count as a zombie. The infected aren't dead, they don't eat people, etc. I do still count it because it has the same vibe as a zombie movie, but I like sounding smart and technical.

Comment

28 Days Later takes what a zombie can be to a higher level and does it better, in my opinion. after all, the definition of a zombie is a "re-animated corpse or a mindless human being."
                Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Tales from the Crypt
                  If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

I prefer my zombies slow and in great numbers. Fast Zombie movies rely too much on Shock horror (see 28 weeks later). Its startling, but not the true horror slow zombies can provide. Return of the Living dead gave us truly horrifying fast zombies. When theres less shock horror and a writer / director really tries, a great fast zombie movie can be made.

Here are some good zombie movies.
                    Night of the Living Dead (remake) - Takes the horror classic and updates it with color and more gore
                    Dawn of the Dead
                    Day of the Dead
                    Cemetery Man - an obscure Italian zombie movie that doesn't focus on zombies much, but makes up for it with trippy surreal psychological horror
                    Zombie 2 - cheesy, but disturbing
                    Return of the Living Dead - actually not the first fast zombie movie, but its a hilarious and scary film

Comment

*Finds the mention of Hot Fuzz to be hilarious.*

Comment

^Yeah, I noticed that before. I was gonna say something about it but forgot.

Hot Fuzz was awesome, Simon Pegg is the freakin' man...but it's...not a zombie movie. At all.

Comment

I need to complete my Zombi collection. I have Zombi 3 and Zombi 4...

I heard wind of a new Romero movie coming out sometime this year... Survival of the Dead or something like that...

There's also World War Z coming out next year or something... That should be interesting...

My favorite zombie movies are :
                          • Day of the Dead (original)
                          • 28 Days Later
                          • Dawn of the Dead (remake)
                          • Dawn of the Dead (original)
                          • Night of the Dead (remake)
                          • Diary of the Dead
                          • Pet Cemetary
                          • Dead Space: Downfall (not bad for an anime)
                          • Quarantine (it was pretty good)
                          • Dead Alive (lol)
                          • Shaun of the Dead
                          • All Souls Day
                          • Fido
                          • I am Legend
                          • The Last Man on Earth (the original version of "I am Legend" which isn't so bad, just old.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWm7lD3V3lE
                          • King of the Zombies (an ooooooold movie, but worth a watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgS0ex6LTug

Stuff I wanted to watch, but can't find or too lazy to look for :
                          • The Plague
                          • The Serpent and the Rainbow (I've seen only bits and pieces of it)
                          • Undead

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                            ^Yeah, I noticed that before. I was gonna say something about it but forgot.

Hot Fuzz was awesome, Simon Pegg is the freakin' man...but it's...not a zombie movie. At all.
                            its not "zombie" as in people are dead and brought back to life like your every day zombie film. its zombie as in, a group of people are controlled in a cult, or "a mindless drone", like RE4 in a way, which also uses a different meaning of the word zombie.

but i'll always include it, cause its a trilogy of films that Simon Pegg is doing, with the 3rd film titled "The World's End" coming maybe sometime in 2010..

Comment

Originally posted by Branden_Lucero View Post
                              28 Days Later takes what a zombie can be to a higher level and does it better, in my opinion. after all, the definition of a zombie is a "re-animated corpse or a mindless human being."
                              Exactly! The ones in 28 Days are neither reanimated nor mindless. Just really, really pissed off. You can even hear pone, the little boy in the burger place, snarl, 'I hate you!'

And ah, Blood and Cornettos. How we love you, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. How we love you. I do look forward to the third one, but I don't think there are any major details yet. Other than it's rumored that Nick Frost will be the lead this time.

Anyway, some good looking titles. I'm glad no one's mentioned any of the movies on my Never Speak Of Again list, such as the Zombie Diaries and Gangs of the Dead. Oh lord.

Comment

Working...
                              X