Marathon broadcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon broadcasts

I've been inspired by the recent RE runthrough done by Itchy Munch, and I wanna do my own RE marathon, but I'd like to be able to do a direct capture of my PS1 console, instead of camming it:

1. I need a capture of the video/audio of the console to appear as a "webcam" that Justin.tv will recognize.
    2. I need to combine the audio stream with my own USB headset mic.

Is there any ideas on how to do this?

Isn't there a emulator plugin that has capturing ability? I know GSdx9 and ZeroGS KOSMOS for pcsx2 do maybe the plugins will work with any other PSEmu Pro based plugin emulator too.
    Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Isn't emulators and ROMs piracy? They're not exactly betas. Please let's steer this away from piracy talk, the other topic's already locked cos of it.
      Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 07-30-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

An emulator isn't anything to do with piracy all it's doing is reinterpreting the game to display on your computer, the only reason people class it as piracy is because people don't bother to dump their own bios's from their owned consoles which is illegal. If you use your own roms / games instead of downloading them it isn't illegal.
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM.

sigpic

Comment

People use emulators to play ROMs of games, retail games, for free. If he wants to do a marathon of RE and downloads an emulator and a ROM for the game and doesn't already own a PC version of it, then that again is piracy. It's a big grey area and one that should be steered clear of.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
            People use emulators to play ROMs of games, retail games, for free.
            But people who program use emulators to create original software for the target platform. BatariBasic is a great example of a basic coding language that you can use to create new Atari2600 games and run on any Stella emulator. So any technically 'dead' system is fair use.

So it depends on the persons intentions. In the case of retail Resident Evil yeah you're guilty as hell if you plan on using it on an emulator without owning a physical copy of the game.

Funny enough I just had a thought about future systems like the PSP Go! that don't have any means to own a physical copy of any software, this might in fact kill the gaming industry the same way the music stores have suffered under the commercial release of MP3 players. And the idea of buying used games if this stays will destroy gamestore franchises since there will be no more hard copys to sell. Except of course for retro systems...
            Last edited by Harry Mason; 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah but the PSX and PS2 aren't dead platforms. You still get games that are released on the PS2; and as far as I know, Helegad isn't a programmer. He just wants to record a RE marathon on his pc, for which he is 90% likely to download an illegal ROM if he goes down the emulator route. I'm not even sure it's right to use an emulator even if you own the game, if the console is still an active platform.
              Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 07-30-2009, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah the PS2 is still active PSone no, really the only systems that qualify for emulation are all Sega systems, outdated PC systems, Atari sytems, Intellivision, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Game.COM, Sega Game Gear, and the Sony PSone, Goldstar, 3DO. All these systems are retail 'dead' but the games for those systems remain under licensing from the parent company and can be released on future systems. Hence the next Atari Anthology. In the case of unreleased games and betas most can only be tested in emulation since they are unsigned code.

So emulation in itself is ok, it's main problem deals with what software is being run on it and does the person in question posses a legal copy to make a backup, or are they creating new software for a dead system? Helegad should just go buy a copy before trying this..

Comment

This all sounds quite difficult though. I'm sure there's another way around it. Those YouTube folk do it all the time.

Comment

Well, looking into the legalities of emulation has proven to be murky. Until we can get some solid legal ground to stand on I'm going to ask that there be no more talk of emulation while we do look into it, even if you own both the console and are running a real disc (so far the only potentially legal scenario I can find)

Comment

Ask yourself why espsxe is still around yet the commercial emulators that contained a embedded dumped bios Bleem and VGS aren't if they had just used the poorer HLE software bios it would still be here today and perfectly legal.
                      Also I believe if a game if ten+ years old and out of print it's ok to pirate it as long it isn't protected by ESA. I'd by lying if I said all my games are original, 75% original 25% copies If I had the money sure i'd buy the original version with a fancy booklet to boot the same as I'd buy a properly mastered boxset of all the bootlegged albums I have if they where available.
                      If CMX of codebreaker can get anyway with that shit i'm sure anyone can how do you think he managed to get codes so quickly.
                      Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Why are ROM sites, which are pretty clearly illegal, allowed? Because most of the time the companies don't care enough to stop them. That doesn't mean they aren't illegal though.

And remember, we have a strict 'Inforced holiday' policy here on THIA for admitting to piracy of all sorts. I'm warning you this time but admit to it again and I will have to ban you.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                          Why are ROM sites, which are pretty clearly illegal, allowed? Because most of the time the companies don't care enough to stop them. That doesn't mean they aren't illegal though.

And remember, we have a strict 'Inforced holiday' policy here on THIA for admitting to piracy of all sorts. I'm warning you this time but admit to it again and I will have to ban you.
                          But ROM sites aren't illegal. You'd be surprised.

Some ROMs are even covered under special protection, prohibiting their download. That's proof enough ROM WEBSITES aren't illegal.

The legality of a ROM is still in debate, though. However, the current ground established, is that if you don't own a copy of the game that is the ROM, it is illegal.

But on top of that, yes, companies could care less.

Oh, and the only reason that it is technically piracy is that a law was passed enforcing all copyright protections permanently. Before, they would expire over time. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. No money will be going to the company since they are (depending on the game) no longer selling the product.

That's all I have to say...
                          Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 07-31-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

That's the thing though. I've found places saying both things...that if you own the game it's legal, and some saying that even if you just want to have a digital backup it's illegal. It might be a regional law thing as well.

It does seem to be unversally agreed that the delete after 24 hour thing is crap though.

Comment

It may be regional. I'm leaning towards "if you own the game it's legal" though.

I mean, some of the biggest ROM websites are hosted in the US. If it didn't matter, they would've been taken down.

I heard you live in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong) though, so it could be different.

And yes, that is crap. That was completely made up.

Would imports be of acceptance here? I'm guessing "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X