Asset recycling from various games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asset recycling from various games.

I posted this before on another forum, so I thought I'd share it on a RE forum and see if you guys had anything to add.

It's times like these that make me wish I had capture card, but anyway. Needless to say, there might be some minor spoilers for those of two or three people who haven't played RE4 yet, so you've been warned.

I'm sure some of you noticed over the years that Capcom re-cycled some of the artwork from scrapped versions/betas into future games. Well, the GC RE games including the beta (RE 3.5) and DMC1 are no exceptions.

First up, RE 3.5 and 4. In the dining room where the "hookman" struggle ensues, the wall textures were re-used in the final game. They’re in the area with the 4 fountains (the bottom level of that area with the blue walls). In the very same area in 3.5, there is a china cabinet that’s used throughout most of the castle area in the final game. What's noteworthy is that the picture with a king being crowned is in all "3" GC games; and the same pics are re-used in the same game too. There are even pictures of the Spencer mansion, but more on that later.

In RE 3.5, the king picture is in small hallway that leads to the dining room, on the opposite side of the windows. Another one is also in the far left corner of the dining room itself. In the smaller hallway, that leads the way from the armor room and the doll room, a picture of the Spencer mansion is there. It's the same picture that's on the hidden doorway in the REmake (the extra costumes room). In Zero, the mansion picture can be seen in the 2nd floor artwork storage area is stored (with statues and other portraits).

In RE4, a large version of the king picture is in Salazar's gallery, and it's also in the small storage room with the merchant (after Leon and Ashley crash into the area, then meet Saddler). The same room also contains the Spencer mansion portrait/pic seen in the other games.

Lastly, another recycled king picture is in the west area of the mansion in the REmake. A small version of it is at the right side of the door with the "loose" knob, while a larger version is not too far away on the 2nd floor. Luckily, there are pics of this area online:

There isn’t much artwork re-cycled from DMC1, other than the "lion sacrifice" door. There are also two metal door models that I cannot remember where they were exactly in RE4; I know they are in the prison area of the castle. I believe that one of the models was used in the REmake as well. Speaking of doors, the single door in the armor room in 3.5 was in fact a realtime version of the prerendered double doors in east side of the main hall of the REmake (leading to the small gallery). Various pre-rendered vases were also redone in realtime in 3.5 (and were also reused in Zero)

That covers the GC games, and I think I looked hard enough to spot those repetitions. However, you may find it interesting that the Spencer mansion portrait in question came from the original RE. In the final retail version, there is only one that’s hanging about Kenneth’s corpse, and there was another one on the east side of the mansion in the playable beta released to the public. It was on the right side of the bathroom door, around the second turn that lead to the small living room (falling ceiling). It was replaced by a more pixilated portrait of what appeared to be a field cast by a sunset.

Wow. How did you come to realize this?
    If you read this, you wasted five seconds of your life.

Comment

I'm attentive, and spend too much of my free time with the series for about 10 years now. I captured some pics (thanks to VLC's snapshot feature).

Same portrait there of the king. Note the picture of the woman beside it, and the china cabinet that was used in the final RE4.

Note the same picture of the woman on Leon's left.

The portait of the knight (I'm sure it's in the final game, I just don't remember where exactly at the moment/ in the castle anyway)

Here it is again.

Last one. The books there were in the final RE4 (first cabin, on the bookshelvs). Also in the remake in the 2nd floor's office (where the whistle is)

Comment

Working...
      X