First District 9 review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First District 9 review!

That's right folks, you heard it here first. D9 came out today in Australia, one day before mainstream (US, etc.) release. I was pumped for this movie ever since I first saw the trailer, and boy, was it worth the wait.

One thing to note is that the interview in the trailer where the alien is asked questions like "why are you here" and "how do your weapons work" is not an actual scene in the film. However, the interviewer is (I'm pretty sure) the main human character in the film, Wikus Van Der Merwe.

If you want a plot synopsis, go to Wikipedia. They done a pretty good job there. I'm here to tell you that the film was awesome. Gore levels were over the top! People got zapped with lightning things, and completely exploded from head to toe. This happens 20+ times in the film, completely uncensored and in full view of the camera, so this isn't a film for the kiddies. Other than that, heads are blown apart, and one guy is ripped limb from limb by worker aliens. Yep, definitely a film for the gorehounds.

The action scenes were amazing, edge-of-your-seat stuff. Fast paced, loads of rockets and bullets, and the general good versus evil thing going on. For a budget of $30 million, Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson done a really good job. The alien CGI is amazingly realistic, and the special effects are top notch. Music was also great. Dramatic and emotional in great effect.

The story is great. There's some pretty cruel scenes in there where some poor innocent aliens are executed, and it kinda makes you feel bad to be a human. I guess the general frame of mind the directors want you to be in is "aliens are good guys, humans are bad guys". The aliens are put forth as just as intelligent and sharp as humans, have the same needs as humans, and just want to live in peace with what little they have left. Then along comes MNU (the bad guy corporation in the movie) who doesn't give one shit about their welfare, only wanting to get the weaponry to work. There was one point in the film where I started thinking "Wikus is a total asshole. Wish he would get capped." I never really felt sorry for the situation he was in, after the way you see him treat the aliens at the start of the film, and at one point where he smacks a major-character alien in the head with a pole because the alien can't help him fast enough.

D9 gets a full 10/10 from me. A film for anyone who can handle gore, swearing, and an adult story. Now, onto Inglourious Basterds...

Should of put this in the District 9 thread, as it is related, but that is a nice read that makes me look forward to seeing it.

Comment

This is an excellent read, Helegad. Thanks. Makes me even more excited and pumped for the movie. Might this be THE summer movie of 2009?

Comment

Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing this tomorrow. I must say I'm more excited for Inglourious Basterds, though.

Comment

Wow, good to hear, I was interested in this movie when I saw the trailer for it. I'll definitely check it out now.

Comment

So was I.

Good review, Helegad. I will probably go see it when it comes out.

Comment

Just so I can rub it into Helegad, but it released here on Wednesday including a screening at the Wellington Embassy with Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson in attendance. Not surprisingly though. :p

Comment

You just had to go and spoil it

Comment

Im in tears at just how awesome this movie is.

Every couple of years a legend is created, and D9 is definitely one of those. I remember how blown away I was when I saw The Dark Knight, even with all the hype leaing up to it. D9 tops that and then some. I just cant wrap my mind around the experience I just had...

Comment

Your easily pleased, I found it boring.
                    Spoiler:
                    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Yeah, right. Im easily pleased.

Heres the average score so far- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Kev, yeah, that's him Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                          Yeah, right. Im easily pleased.

Heres the average score so far- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

Because we all know reviews equal fact.

(By the way, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on its quality. I just always find it amusing when people try to use others' opinions to somehow validate their own, and that's ultimately what all reviews boil down to: opinions.)

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                            Because we all know reviews equal fact.

(By the way, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on its quality. I just always find it amusing when people try to use others' opinions to somehow validate their own, and that's ultimately what all reviews boil down to: opinions.)
                            Who said anything about reviews?

Ive always found it funny, myself, when people who admit to knowing nothing, assume their opinion is worth anything.

Its the average score of a movie, which reflects a movies quality. There is not a single movie in IMDB TOP250 which doesnt belong there. The score is well weighed out, people who "like" the movie, will score it 10s (usually), people who hate it will score it 1s and most of the points given in that middle section are from objective viewers.

Even after colossal hype, the average usually takes itsself down to the level it was supposed to be, so even though The Dark Knight was not a bad movie, it most likely isnt the "worlds best movie ever made" and so it fell from #1 spot to its current position. And you should know just how incredibly popular that movie was, before and after, everyone talked about it.

IMDB scoring is, in long term, unaffected by "opinions" and hype and the awarded score really does show a movies quality. Another example would be "Snakes on a Plane", which scored (for what it was) unrealistically high at its first month or so and is now where it belongs.

The key here is the diverse group of people who are going to click the stars at the top of each movie they are browsing, its an incredibly massive site and the different tastes and personalities that visit it, is going to create a fairly objective mass.

Or... you know, if you prefer it the "other" way, and just wait for the Oscars, which is the most accurate representation of a movies quality...

Comment

Who said anything about reviews?
                              Choosing a score for a movie from a scale is still technically a review. It doesn't have to be a write up or a long, drawn out discussion or conversation. People are still expressing their opinions about a film when they give it any kind of score, whether they have an avenue for actually explaining the score or not.

Ive always found it funny, myself, when people who admit to knowing nothing, assume their opinion is worth anything.
                              Except I wasn't even talking about the movie. I was talking about your post. The reason I mentioned I had not seen the film yet was simply to show that I cannot say whether I agree with his opinion or yours or neither. I don't see how that in any way prevents me from being able to make an observation about your post, because, as I already stated, I wasn't posting about the movie itself but rather your response to kev's post. It's not my fault you apparently couldn't tell the difference.

Its the average score of a movie, which reflects a movies quality. There is not a single movie in IMDB TOP250 which doesnt belong there. The score is well weighed out, people who "like" the movie, will score it 10s (usually), people who hate it will score it 1s and most of the points given in that middle section are from objective viewers.
                              It's still ultimately based on people's opinions, no matter how "objective" they may or may not be. An average score for, in this case, a movie is still no more definitive or "factual" than a single score from an individual.

IMDB scoring is, in long term, unaffected by "opinions" and hype and the awarded score really does show a movies quality. Another example would be "Snakes on a Plane", which scored (for what it was) unrealistically high at its first month or so and is now where it belongs.

The key here is the diverse group of people who are going to click the stars at the top of each movie they are browsing, its an incredibly massive site and the different tastes and personalities that visit it, is going to create a fairly objective mass.
                              As I already said, it is affected by opinions, because that's all the scores are. It doesn't matter how "objective" a person is being when they give a movie a score, or how many people vote on the website, because it still ultimately comes down to opinions. All the average score does is give an idea of how the majority of people felt about the movie.

It in no way validates or invalidates one's own personal view of a film. If someone thinks a movie is boring, but IMDB or some other site shows that the majority of people thought it was just the opposite, that does not somehow make the individual's opinion that it was boring "wrong" or lesser than the majority's. At the same time, it doesn't make the opinion of someone who agrees with the majority any more important or somehow "better" than the person who disagrees with the majority, which is what your original post was implying, whether you intended it or not.
                              Last edited by Archelon; 08-16-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X