The Pros, The Cons: The Orginial Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pros, The Cons: The Orginial Resident Evil

I thought I'd like to start a series of disscussion with the resident evil fanbase i'd love to hear your opinion's, about each game I bring up in the series, as we will discuss the Pros and the Cons about each one.

Resident Evil 1 Pros: Bad acting (makes me giggle) Realistic Environments. Gameplay gets good when you mastered it. Makes you really think smart and worry about ammunation and life.

Resident Evil 1 Cons: A little bit more weapon varitey just a little bit maybe like 2 more weapons. Does Hunter's really have to start chopping your head off once you reached the Yellow Fine. And the Bad acting (Makes me cringe)
    Last edited by belmont1997; 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM.

I didn't play the original Resident Evil until long after Remake, so I didn't find too much worthwhile in it. However, it was cool to go back and see what started it all, and how Jill and Chris look WAY different than the official versions of them now do.

Of course, the acting was awful. I play the game now (on DS) and find it to be more of a comedy; if I want a frightening adventure, I'll play the official version of the story (Remake).

Wesker: "Stop! Don't. Open. That. Door!"

Barry: "Whoa! This hall is dangerous!"

*Rebecca sprays Chris in the face with insecticide*
    Rebecca: "Whoa! Are you alright?!"
    Chris: "Yes, I'm fine."

Jill: "Barry, what about you?"
    Barry: "I have THIS!"

Barry: "Look what I found! It's a weapon, and it's especially useful against living things!"

Wesker: "Stop! Don't come this way!"

Chris: "He's sleeping with the ultimate failure."

Wesker: "Barry's such a fool. He'll be under the control of Umbrella forever."

Obviously, after playing Remake, the mansion from the original looked bare - kind of like a crappy third party map add-on to a game. However, it was cool to note the various changes.
    Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

RE1, I loved RE1. It was the first RE game I owned. Not the first I played though.

Pro's - Voice acting, Story, Gameplay, Awesome camera, Hunters, Jill, Barry, Wesker, Jill Sandwiches. Great music and sound. Everything.

Cons - Chris. Graphics have aged more compared to RE2 and RE3, but it's only minor, and it still has great graphics I think. Music is a little out of place is certain parts, like when Barry shoots the first zombie.

Comment

Resident Evil 1: Directors Cut

Pros:
        Scary atmosphere even in bright lit areas (it don't has to be dark all the time), fully coloured and uncensored intro

Joseph: *gets mauled*
        Jill: Jooseeph!!1
        Brad: O_o *flies away in helicopter*
        Chris: Nooo! Dooon't gooooo!!!

very good soundtrack which fits almost all the time (I still like listening to it even today), nice architecture of the original mansion (Wood is almost everywhere and there is even a semi-green wallpaper in one location. Semi-green. Now that's weird), nice variety of locations (the garden, the guardhouse, the neptune-tank, the caves, the lab) a good range of enemies, the puzzles, the pre-rendered backgrounds (I love them), the cheesy acting...

Cons:
        The soundtrack does not fit all the time. For example when you look at the beginning of the game in Jills scenario where Barry literally annihilates the zombie in the dining room using cheesy lines and rounds from his Colt Python. But apart from those short sequences, the soundtrack is ok.

One of the things that may be annoying:
        If you are crushed by one of the boulders in the caves as Chris, you have to wait until Resident Evil 5 to show one of those boulders who's boss.

Ok, I think that's no real con...

You need some time to get used to the controls. When you are an absolute beginner and you encounter the first enemies of the game, there is a slight possibility that you will probably be dead even before you enter the hallway where the two doggies come through the windows. The characters don't feel as agile as in Resident Evil 3.

If you got used to the controls the game suddenly becomes much more friendly. But even then it's still challenging nonetheless.
        Last edited by Erdbeerman; 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Pros: It fixed everything that was wrong with Alone In The Dark

Cons: Engrish

Comment

Originally posted by Erdbeerman View Post
            One of the things that may be annoying:
            If you are crushed by one of the boulders in the caves as Chris, you have to wait until Resident Evil 5 to show one of those boulders who's boss.

Ok, I think that's no real con...

You need some time to get used to the controls. When you are an absolute beginner and you encounter the first enemies of the game, there is a slight possibility that you will probably be dead even before you enter the hallway where the two doggies come through the windows. The characters don't feel as agile as in Resident Evil 3.
            HAHAA I never realized that until now lol. Someone should make a Youtube video of Chris getting run over my an RE1 Boulder, then have like a montage of his training, and have revenge quotes, then have him beating up the boulder in RE5.

I liked how the game was hard for beginners, it was new, and I liked it. Made you think next time you played it lol. Or else you would die again.

The only real con I can think of in RE1 would be the lack of a quick turn button.

Comment

I liked that the enemies didn't respawn. That really impressed me.

Comment

Pros: It's a really charming game, engrish and all.

Cons: It's shameless clone of a much better game.

Comment

whats that???

Pro's- its what started the series!

Cons- no quick turn around button.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                    HAHAA I never realized that until now lol. Someone should make a Youtube video of Chris getting run over my an RE1 Boulder, then have like a montage of his training, and have revenge quotes, then have him beating up the boulder in RE5
                    Brilliant, I'm on it.

Also, I love Deadly Silence so much because you can have the quick turn around, instant knife button and even slightly better graphics...which pretty much fixes 99 percent of the cons (Except for the VA's, which is gold anyways).
                    Last edited by REmaster; 08-27-2009, 04:41 PM.
                    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                      Brilliant, I'm on it.

Also, I love Deadly Silence so much because you can have the quick turn around, instant knife button and even slightly better graphics...which pretty much fixes 99 percent of the cons (Except for the VA's, which is gold anyways).
                      The 3D models certainly look better but the backgrounds look horrible, you don't really notice it during normal play but if you just take the time to stop and look you will see how degraded they are.

Comment

This is true
                        That's why my favorite game is the remake, because it basically took RE1 and gave it an amazing polish, great VA's, tons of atmosphere and new concepts such as the burning of the bodies, crimson heads, Lisa Trevor, etc.
                        Also, I checked on the Chris boulder revenge video and suprise, someone already made one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1g8JS5lhM
                        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Pro: Loved the gameplay, atmosphere and story

Cons: On Hit Hunters and the dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by The_15th View Post
                            I liked that the enemies didn't respawn. That really impressed me.
                            I agree. I can't stand it when enemies respawn, like in the Outbreaks and stuff, where you have the SAME zombie respawning every 10 seconds on very hard mode. It's frustrating to never be able to clear an area.
                            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                              Pro's - Voice acting, Story, Gameplay, Awesome camera, Hunters, Jill, Barry, Wesker, Jill Sandwiches. Great music and sound. Everything.

Cons - Chris. Graphics have aged more compared to RE2 and RE3, but it's only minor, and it still has great graphics I think. Music is a little out of place is certain parts, like when Barry shoots the first zombie.
                              How, exactly? Is it because Chris did not receive the "deep characterization" that Jill, Barry, Wesker, and Rebecca received? Because I've played the original RE1 upwards of twenty times, and every time I've found each of the main characters to be underdeveloped and far from anything resembling "fascinating."

If anything, "Charlie" is the best actor of the bunch...much better than Inezh, Sergio, or whomever were the turds that portrayed Barry & Becky.

I can understand not liking characters (God knows I bash on RE4+ Leon enough), but your dislike of Chris - or should I say your reasons for it - are just as perplexing as your unadulterated fanaticism toward the female version of him, aka Jill "exposed vag" Valentine.

Anyway, back to the topic:

PROS: At the time of its release, I had never played anything like it. It was probably one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

CONS: Gave hope to bad actors everywhere. You're welcome, Vince Diesel.
                              Last edited by Jill's Boob; 08-29-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X