Wesker’s eugenic endgame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wesker’s eugenic endgame

I found this really cool article about symbolism in the Resident Evil series. I haven't read much of it myself yet (it's very long), but it seems very interesting.

Discuss.

Edit: There's also some other RE-related articles on the same site about zombies and real biological warfare.
    Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM.
    Mass production? Ridiculous!

I remember reading that. I liked the fact that the article pulled in other games from the series to connect with Wesker's plot. The symbolism parts were great too. I liked how they compared it to the real world, making many plot points more plausible to me.

Comment

Wow, an absolutely amazing read. Could not take my eyes away from reading. The author did a remarkable job theorizing past events in the series and connecting them to RE5. It almost makes me reconsider my opinion of RE5, though the more sensible part of my mind tells me that dissecting the game bit by bit and creating beautiful, amazing theories is just fans being fans, and not Capcom's own intellect. Still, I prefer pretending maybe it is.

Really, though, the author points out some very interesting things. It was easy to understand the blatant symbolism behind Jill's appearance in connection to how she looked next to Wesker, but I think paralleling it to the "Aryan supremacy ideology" is quite a kicker, and it really makes me think quite differently about her overall presence in the game: transforming the feeble, everyday brunette into a blonde, pale supersoldier. I know the fandom tends to crack jokes about how the blonde characters are typically the villains, but reading that theory and the author's mention of other blonde characters (Birkin, Anette, Alexia, Alfred and even Sherry) makes you take a moment to consider if there is indeed "Aryan selection" metaphors behind there.

Comment

Working...
      X