Couple of things I noticed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of things I noticed...

I was watching a live stream on Parasite Eve 2 and noticed a couple of suspicious things.

Now, I recall that Enrico Marini brought up pretty much the same topic with an enemy in Final Fantasy VII resembling on of G/Birkin's mutated forms as well as some Final Fantasy IX references to RE2 (specifically, the fountain which is one that I had also noticed).

Now here's a couple of things that I thought seemed to be a little fishy (they seem fishy, either that or I'm going mad). (Following are screenshots I've taken, the 1.5 selection screen was one I ripped from RE2, the concept art is from Bioflames and CreativeUncut).

1.5 Character Selection screen
    And then we have a look at an area in Parasite Eve 2.

Then we have other areas that bare some form of similarity in the first and second Parasite Eve games if I'm recalling them correctly, some of them reminded me of the R.P.D. as well as the Labs region of the 1.5 build materials that have been released as well as the final/retail product.

There are also some character designs and animations that are quite similar to 1.5, 2 and 3.

Such as Aya's PE2 design and animations
    Aya 1
    Aya 2
    Aya 3

There's also Jill's bonus costume in the PC version that is a modified version of her standard outfit that Aya's seems to resemble a tad more (due to the boots being basically the exact same in a promotional render for PE2).

Jill's PC bonus costume (sorry, composite screenshot).

Aya CG1
    Aya CG2
    Jill RE3 CG1

There's also a bit of a similarity between a specific cutscene in RE3 and PE2 - the only difference being that in RE3 the camera angle shows us the backs of the vehicles whereas PE2 we see the front. Even the cars are angled similarly in the main street, so is the firetruck to the R.P.D. one.

Comparison screenshot

Maya to Elza Walker
    Maya & Aya screenshot (Maya has longish hair, a similar length to Elza).
    to Elza Walker's concept art

There's also Kyle that appears to have the same animations as Leon (in his alternative outfit), the general design for Kyle looks somewhat like a mixture of Leon's 1.5 designs.

Screenshot of Kyle
    Leon concept art 1
    Leon concept art 2

We also have Pierce, whose design/outfit is suspiciously similar to Leon's N64 alternative outfit (sorry, can't seem to find a screenshot I took of it earlier).

The enemies in both Parasite Eve games are somewhat similar to the enemies we see in RE2 and RE3 (and somewhat CODE: Veronica with Eve).

*Shrugs* Personally, seemed really quite suspiciously similar.

(Sorry if this is disjointed/doesn't make much sense, a little bit distracted at the time of writing this up quickly).
    sigpic
    Non-blurry Signature Version
    Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

You opened pandora's box.

Comment

This does make sense I think. Just seems so odd for the two to reflect, two game companies whose games are usually completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
        You opened pandora's box.
        I was expecting that.

Originally posted by Inferno04 View Post
        This does make sense I think. Just seems so odd for the two to reflect, two game companies whose games are usually completely different.
        I thought so too, especially when you take into consideration that Square were using pre-rendered backgrounds and suddenly improved their modelling technique after Final Fantasy VII (blob/block characters, improved in VIII which was quite a leap considering that Capcom had models of the same caliber in production before and after VII). Then with Squall "Leon" Leonhart's modified concept that originally had longer hair but was modified (and then bore more resemblance to RE2 Leon, and eventually 3.5/4 Leon).

Another one for Parasite Eve and Resident Evil 3 - Theme of Aya, sounds somewhat like a sped up version of Free from Fear (RE3 Save Room theme), when I modified the tempo of Free from Fear - the timing was pretty much on a nearly exact match for Theme of Aya (even similar pitch when I modified the tempo to match Theme of Aya). Quite strange, other songs do seem to sound slightly similar to other themes throughout RE2 and RE3 to my ears.

*Shrugs* There are a few strange things in the Square games (I could probably find a fair few more if I went through all of my Square/Square-Enix ones) that seem to stick out like that.
        Last edited by Enetirnel; 01-24-2010, 02:06 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
          I was expecting that.

I thought so too, especially when you take into consideration that Square were using pre-rendered backgrounds and suddenly improved their modelling technique after Final Fantasy VII (blob/block characters, improved in VIII which was quite a leap considering that Capcom had models of the same caliber in production before and after VII). Then with Squall "Leon" Leonhart's modified concept that originally had longer hair but was modified (and then bore more resemblance to RE2 Leon, and eventually 3.5/4 Leon).

Another one for Parasite Eve and Resident Evil 3 - Theme of Aya, sounds somewhat like a sped up version of Free from Fear (RE3 Save Room theme), when I modified the tempo of Free from Fear - the timing was pretty much on a nearly exact match for Theme of Aya (even similar pitch when I modified the tempo to match Theme of Aya). Quite strange, other songs do seem to sound slightly similar to other themes throughout RE2 and RE3 to my ears.

*Shrugs* There are a few strange things in the Square games (I could probably find a fair few more if I went through all of my Square/Square-Enix ones) that seem to stick out like that.
          I'm so tempted to say....You think....Wesker = Non-sunglasses Rufus? XD

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno04 View Post
            I'm so tempted to say....You think....Wesker = Non-sunglasses Rufus? XD
            In all honesty. Seifer Almasy would be the actual knock-off of Albert Wesker, minus the sunglasses (hell, even look at the Umbrella Chronicles long-coat Wesker, slight modifications and you have Final Fantasy VIII's Seifer Almasy). Model design, scripting, animations... far too similar than Rufus Shin-Ra.

CG/FMV
            Seifer Almasy 1
            Seifer Almasy 2
            In-game
            Seifer 1
            Seifer 2
            Concept Art
            Coloured Concept Art
            Of course, there is the Mikado Corporation that seems to be similar to Umbrella (as there are also other area similarities in The Bouncer to the Resident Evil and Dino Crisis area designs).
            Last edited by Enetirnel; 01-24-2010, 02:54 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
              In all honesty. Seifer Almasy would be the actual knock-off of Albert Wesker, minus the sunglasses (hell, even look at the Umbrella Chronicles long-coat Wesker, slight modifications and you have Final Fantasy VIII's Seifer Almasy). Model design, scripting, animations... far too similar than Rufus Shin-Ra.

Of course, there is the Mikado Corporation that seems to be similar to Umbrella (as there are also other area similarities in The Bouncer to the Resident Evil and Dino Crisis area designs).
              Good point. Not ShinRa, but maybe Mikado, or even controlling Galbadia could equal Umbrella.

Comment

Hmmm...I remember one of the (many) reasons 1.5 was supposed to have been canceled was that Square hired away a good chunk of the team to make Parasite Eve for them. I was never sure how true it was. Maybe there was something to it after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  Hmmm...I remember one of the (many) reasons 1.5 was supposed to have been canceled was that Square hired away a good chunk of the team to make Parasite Eve for them. I was never sure how true it was. Maybe there was something to it after all.
                  I remember that rumor as well, but after going through profiles and whatever aliases/nicknames that I've seen (the FFVII, FFVIII Debug Rooms give out staff names, nicknames and some aliases and a few of the PE team worked on both games), I haven't been able to find many staff connections (Square to Capcom) aside from Tobal that had good ol' Barry Gjerde as a VA for the Referee...

I probably haven't been looking hard enough through staff lists though, however the Parasite Eve team was also part of the VIII and IX teams which can explain some of the RE references in both of the games (and later on some of them went and worked on Fear Effect, Demento/Haunting Ground, Onimusha and eventually Biohazard - mainly sound or motion capture for 5 or DSC).

Although, most of the staff on Square/Square-Enix projects are probably part of Nomura's development division.

Still, after the stuff in those games it could be possible. Personally, it makes me wonder even more... (and tempts me to go through my Square games to see what else I can find).
                  Last edited by Enetirnel; 01-24-2010, 04:55 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

lol Tobal was one of the first ps1 games I owned, nice finds by the way.
                    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                      lol Tobal was one of the first ps1 games I owned, nice finds by the way.
                      I think I might have Tobal floating around in a box somewhere, so I'll have to have a look and see what other connections I can find.

Thank you.
                      sigpic

Comment

Time for me to whip this out again:

I know not directly similar but they both retain a similar shape, both have extra limbs coming from their torso and their original arms are both enlarged and (at least one) has claws. There is also the new head out of an old one (which birkin used in his previous state. Then you got the giant mouth on the right shoulder vs the giant arm on the right shoulder. I played 2 first then 7 and always considered this (as a joke) a Tyrant. I know I'm over analysing and making links where there may be none.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrico Marini View Post
                          I know not directly similar but they both retain a similar shape, both have extra limbs coming from their torso and their original arms are both enlarged and (at least one) has claws. There is also the new head out of an old one (which birkin used in his previous state. Then you got the giant mouth on the right shoulder vs the giant arm on the right shoulder. I played 2 first then 7 and always considered this (as a joke) a Tyrant. I know I'm over analysing and making links where there may be none.
                          Aha, there it is! Thank you Enrico!

I do have to agree with you, it is quite similar (and even for a Nomura enemy, as he was the one actually handling the in-battle models for VII) with Birkin, the attack style/animations are similar to Birkin as well.

Something else I remembered, a few things on the streets of Raccoon are French locations, in Final Fantasy VIII and if I'm remembering this correctly (probably off on this) had locations name-dropped or somewhat depicted in areas that are around the locations name-dropped in RE2 and RE3.

Also, got the background render as well as a screenshot of that statue in IX.
                          Additionally, the coat of arms above the statue looks like the Ashford one (of both the coat of arms, as well as the sort of medal in CV just sort of merged together as in the IX one - you can see that in the middle of it you can see that there's a shield with a cross on it, CV was released in February whereas IX was released a few months later).

Final Fantasy IX RE2 Ref, I've included the RE2 statue in the R.P.D. for comparison.
                          Last edited by Enetirnel; 01-24-2010, 06:44 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Clearly you all have discovered that which was supposed to be left alone. Agents will be dispatched to all locations to remedy the situation...

End Transmission

Comment

These are interesting finds. I never knew there were similarities between RE and other games like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X