[QUESTION] Applying Textures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUESTION] Applying Textures?

I'm in the process of getting the Darkside Chronicles models and rigging them for use. I've got the models, they're ready to be imported into 3DS Max 2009, although I'm left with one last problem. Applying the textures.

I am... Incredibly new to 3DS Max, although I have a friend who I'm working with who knows what he's doing. But we're both stumped when it comes to applying textures.

The textures are all in .tga format, and are for separate parts of the model (face, hands, clothes, eyes, etc.). We're not sure how to apply them without them looking... Bizarre.

Would we need to unwrap the model and apply them that way, or is there a simpler way to do it?

All the Darkside Chronicles models I've seen have had all the textures on one sheet (well for the players any way).It all depends whether the conversion to max retained the Unwrap.

To apply a texture, you need to go to the Materials Editor, icon used to look like 4 balls, and attach the texture to the diffuse slot. Under the texture balls are a row of icons, one which is assign material to selection (make sure you have the model selected), and the checkered cube icon called show map in view port will show the map.

If the textures do not apply correctly, you'll need to apply an Unwrap UVW, if the unwrap is a mess, then you will need to unwrap the model. If the model is unwrapped but in a smaller area of the blue square, you either need to readjust the textures (it could be they were supposed to all be in one image) or rescale the UVs to match the texture.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I'll let my friend know and see what he thinks. Hopefully we can make sense of all this, but our textures came in a number of seperate .tgas... Well, I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

You should be able to just drag and drop the textures onto the model after converting them to .tga, that's how I do all mine and it works flawlessly, if they don't....well then ya gonna have to re-uv map the model or recapture the model. If ya need some help Pm me and I'll see what I can do since I've already got most of the models ripped and rigged.

Comment

Alright. So. My friend and I were messing around with it today.

Some models have a lot of .tga files for their textures, some don't. And when it comes to unwrapping the model, it refuses to work, we have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ashford View Post
            Alright. So. My friend and I were messing around with it today.

Some models have a lot of .tga files for their textures, some don't. And when it comes to unwrapping the model, it refuses to work, we have no idea what's going on.
            most big enemy models like birkins many forms, mr X, and others all have multiple .tga texture files, some more than others, however Mr X's Tyrant form only has 1 512x1024 texture, zombies have 256x256 textures and only contain 2 or more if they are wearing equipment or hats, character models are also the same, Like i said before just add the files in the custom dependicies area(if your using max the shortcut is shift+t) then drop and drag the textures on to the mesh and they should work.

Comment

Well at the moment, I'm working with Alfred's model. He has roughly 42 separate pieces and 15 different .tgas. But no matter what I do, the .tgas won't properly fit onto the model.

Here's an example of what's happening:
              Spoiler:
              Last edited by Mr. Ashford; 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ashford View Post
                Well at the moment, I'm working with Alfred's model. He has roughly 42 separate pieces and 15 different .tgas. But no matter what I do, the .tgas won't properly fit onto the model.

Here's an example of what's happening:
                Spoiler:
                When I ripped him my texture count only came to about 4/5 tga files =/ since they were the ones that came packed in the .brres file, only solution I can think of even though it will sound weird(believe me this works) open the textures in photoshop and flip all of them vertical save and re-apply message back if that works or not.

Comment

Working...
                X