X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RELEASE] Biohazard 2 - Beta 2 - Fixed image

Found this over at UG is anyone wants it

Biohazard 2 - Beta 2 - Fixed image

OK, this is gonna be quite difficult for newbies, as this is rather dedicated to those who already know this beta, but everyone is free to download and try this

What's this all about:
    This is the Biohazard 2 so-called "beta 2". Many people know this one. What they usually don't know is that there are two dumps of this beta floating around.
    The first dump is 690 mb, the second dump is 780 mb. People used to call the former, 690 mb dump as 'corrupted'. Well, they are quite right, but what they don't realize is that the 780 mb is 'corrupted' too.

Now this is where the excitement starts.

The 780 mb dump has 3 corrupted sectors: 195781, 199512 and 303794.

The 690 mb dump has 9 corrupted sectors: 5968, 6170, 182955, 182992, 183046, 204942, 277924, 292709 and 293075.

In all sectors except the corrupted ones, both dumps are the same, meaning they are made from the same media.

What I did is I have taken sectors 195781 and 199512 from the 690 mb dump and replaced them in the 780 mb dump, fixing 2 sectors - out of 3. The third corrupted sector can't be fixed, since that area is completely missing in the 690 mb dump.

I tried booting this up and it works flawlessly.

So, unless someone ever comes up with an original media of this thing and dumps it again, properly, I think we all should consider this *fixed* dump as best as we can get right now. Critique is welcome.

This fixed image has been already tested, reports:

Seiyakou wrote:
    I checked all the rooms using JUMP option in the DM as some of them crashed in other "corrupted" dumps of BH 2 Beta 2 and ALL of them work 100% (no crashes, no black screen, no corrupted backgrounds) except room 609 KOSITU (PORT ROOM A).

RidleyWHayes wrote:
    [The 609 KOSITU room] problem happens in the [original] 780 mb dump too, half of a second after you teleport to the room the game freezes but the sound continues, a second later the sound stops too.

Nakian from http://resicollection.tk/ came up with a theory:

Nakian wrote:
    The flamethrower which is supposed to be in the locker in the labs is not there. You have to get this flamethrower in the final game to kill the plant and get to the room 609. And I think this is the whole point here. The flamethrower is not in the beta, meaning the kill plant aspect is not implemented and come to think about it, it's not needed either. In the final game, you just get ammo in that room. It was added at last - not really touching the gameplay at all. Now, if you enter 609, you're in that room without having killed it which i guess could result in an error.

DZIAD wrote:
    The room 609 KOSITU does not freeze, If you first kill Ivy (Magnum will be best for this).
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Interesting.

I know of someone who owns an actual copy of the BH2 Beta2 disc who recently claimed that it was ripped, posted online, is a 1:1 copy and has absolutely no sector errors.

Geez, so this means there are 4 different dumps of this game floating around (2 corrupted, 1 patched, and 1 original)?
    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Wow, great efforts!
      Nice somebody looked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
        Interesting.

I know of someone who owns an actual copy of the BH2 Beta2 disc who recently claimed that it was ripped, posted online, is a 1:1 copy and has absolutely no sector errors.

Geez, so this means there are 4 different dumps of this game floating around (2 corrupted, 1 patched, and 1 original)?
        I wish i knew, I don't even know how these errors where found, I checked the 744MB bioflames version with IsoBuster and found none, 780MB???
        and the only issue which comes to mind with the older corrupted white umbrella dump is a texture problem in the 3rd floor rpd cog room, i'm not even sure it's been dumped correctly with any of the dumps, doesn't re2 contain a blank audio data track?

sigpic

Comment

Almost all Capcom titles has a blank audio track that usually coexists with a blank file on the disc called zdata.bin (or something along those lines). A good few other games from other publishers also uses this trick. It's probably part of an ancient copy protection (as most common equipment from back then can't replicate that layout)

Also, I was under the impression that both the Bioflames release, the one the guys at Biohazard France might've been throwing around and the rip Dot50Cal did at some point were all good and came from "fresh" Hong Kong silvers for this thing. But maybe I just remember things incorrectly.

You're probably right about the WU release having a set of errors. I seem to recall bringing it up in convos with people (who had access to pressed copies of it) to their big surprise back in 2004 or something (as theirs were fine).

The various errors are probably spawned through the lack of proper archiving of the images back in the old days. Most people probably just burned it on a CD-R and deleted the ISO image to save space and then when someone asked for it or the times changed, they re-ripped it from their CD-Rs.

Comment

I believe your correct although from checking my originals in the ps cd player only Dino Crisis 1 & 2, and RE2 show a audio track even though RE1, RE3 and RE:S still contain the ZNULL.DAT
            Multitrack (MODE1/2048) isn't supported by the .ISO standard either only .BIN, .IMG, .NRG, .MDF and few other formats are.
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 03-14-2010, 04:34 PM.

sigpic

Comment

If memory serves me right; the "trick" used on the releases with the audio-track is that ZNULL.DAT overlaps with the audio track. Making it not about multi-tracks in a traditional sense, it's the fact that ZNULL.DAT's blank data = the audio track (pop in an original disc that does it, load it in IsoBuster and check the LBA of ZNULL.DAT + the start point of the audio track. If I'm remembering things correctly, they "should" be the same.)

Comment

TRACK 02 AUDIO
                INDEX 01 21:43:30
                needs adding to the .CUE file then.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry to bring this up, but I might be one of the few people to actually show some interest in this fixed image of the Biohazard 2 Beta.

I am a bit concerned to ask about this, but is there any way to obtain this image without having to register at UG?
                  It isn't exactly easy to get an account there (plus I don't really want to have one for just this one file anyways)...

Well, I guess it's not allowed to ask someone to upload it somewhere else and "direct" me to it, so instead I am asking whether someone could just explain me how to fix the bioflames image myself!

If you guys could tell me what program to use and what I have to change with it I would really appreciate it!

You know, it might not actually make any difference while playing the game, but I just "feel better" knowing, that my Beta no longer has those corrupt sectors anymore! (Not sure if anybody shares this feeling, but that's just me)
                  Last edited by Upaluppa; 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Last time I heard, there weren't even actually any seeds on the torrent on UG.

Anyway, a way of obtaining this "corrected" ISO could indeed be nice. I don't really think we could host it here on THIA, but a patch for the ISO that's already available on bioflames could easily be hosted here (along with a set for other common variations floating around in public) (could just be attached to a post even, as regardless of the size-shifting, it still shouldn't really be very large.)

I don't have the "corrected" ISO, so I can't really help there, unless kevstah would be willing to send it to me (or just follow the instructions seen in patch guide in this section and do it himself).

Comment

A patch for the already circulating corrupted images sounds like a good idea to me!
                      I think it shouldn't be much of a problem to create one (or multiple, for different images) ppf patches!

I don't mind patching the image myself, I'd just really like to get the fixed version somehow.

Let's see what kevstah2004 has to say about this!

Edit:
                      Sorry, I just read through the announcement regarding mod distribution...

So xdelta it has to be!
                      Shouldn't make much of a difference in terms of usage...

I'll read through the stickies before posting next time, promised!
                      Last edited by Upaluppa; 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I didn't make it a person named as RiMMER uploaded it to UG whether they made it or not IDK, I don't have the 780mb dump or 690mb dump so I can't remake it the bioflames dump doesn't have any errors so i'm not sure it's worth the effort unless it was doctored somehow, it came from a hk bootleg cd-r afterall, I don't trust any of the leaks to be 100% untampered anyway and there's that many uploads of it now it's also now hard to tell what's original and what hasn't been burn't and re-ripped to death over the course of the years uploaded to various forums, torrents and such.

White Umbrella dump???

dump ???

sigpic

Comment

The reason I thought so was because CDMage (an image editing tool) showed a couple of errors in various sectors of the bioflames ISO.
                          None of them were sever, but still...

I had downloaded those versions floating around snesorama once.

The first link is indeed the 690mb White Umbrella dump (it even comes with the WU .nfo file) and the second one has those errors as well (two clock tower backgrounds are corrupted in both images) but I don't know where it came from.

Could be from one of those HK bootlegs, I guess...
                          Or maybe it's just a re-rip of the WU version...
                          Last edited by Upaluppa; 06-15-2010, 03:21 AM.

Comment

I'll re-check bioflames version just to be sure but I checked it with IsoBuster a few weeks back an it had no errors.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help!
                              If you get no errors I'll take your word for it and be happy with the bioflames image!

Maybe I just made some mistakes when using CDMage as I am kinda new to the program...

By the way, I just thought I'd check out that KOSITU room in the beta myself. It's true that the Flamethrower is not there, but you won't need it anyways, as you can just use the lighter to set the oil pured on the ground by that researcher on fire!

It destroys the plant and let's you access the KOSITU A room!

I am not sure, if it had anything to do with me activating the BOWgas sprinkler from the monitor room, but the room did NOT crash! The Ivy was there, paralyzed from the gas and the game did not freeze even tough I did not kill Ivy at all!

So maybe it only crashes if you enter the room via debug jump without killing the plant using the lighter...

Sorry for getting off-topic, but I just thought I'd share this, since you mentioned the KOSITU crash in your first post!
                              Last edited by Upaluppa; 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X