[QUESTION]RE Models In .OBJ Format?[RE1 - All]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUESTION]RE Models In .OBJ Format?[RE1 - All]

Hi there! I just joined. I'm so happy I finally got register! Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has any of the RE models available in .OBJ format. I'm attempting to make an RE-like game in Blender, and I want to see what the meshes look like. I'm not going to use the meshes in the actual game, I just want to see them to use as a reference. I see all the wonderful work that's being done in the modding forums, and I want to try to do something, anything, to be able to help out. I've been working on various aspects of logic, modeling and 3d graphics since December. I've gotten pretty good with modeling in Blender. I look forward to being a member of this community. Thanks for reading.

<~~Bru~~>

Oh, and I do have a few pics of my work up on my profile in the link provided. Thanks.

Well here are the main characters and zombies in Milkshape format (I'm kind of lazy and lack time to export them all to .OBJ at the moment) but basically a RE model is usually around 700 Tri's (a bit more for RE2) and made up of 15 models:

Head
    Chest
    Hips
    Upper Left Leg
    Lower Left Leg
    Left Foot
    Upper Right Leg
    Lower Right Leg
    Right Foot
    Upper Right Arm
    Lower Right Arm
    Right Hand
    Upper Left Arm
    Lower Left Arm
    Left Hand

And for player models in RE1 they have a 16th which is handgun ejected clip.

Basically the characters are a broken mesh of sorts and the body parts rotate around their point of origin (or in newer 3d packages, their pivot point) as each model section always is set to the origin in the TMD.

The models are pretty much boxes.

Comment

Wow! Thanks, Enrico! I was afraid you guys were going to think I was a troll. Unfortunately, Milkshape doesn't work for me. I get the message that my trial period has expired every time I try to use it. Any ideas on a workaround for that? Thanks!

<~~Bru~~>

Comment

Oh, and I'm also interested in knowing if the rooms themselves can be exported as models. I think it's amazing that after 14 years, I'm still learning things about this game. Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by BruGaleen View Post
          Wow! Thanks, Enrico! I was afraid you guys were going to think I was a troll. Unfortunately, Milkshape doesn't work for me. I get the message that my trial period has expired every time I try to use it. Any ideas on a workaround for that? Thanks!

<~~Bru~~>
          Buy the program? It isn't that expensive in contrast to other modeling programs OR if you did a clean install of Milkshape originally and it had that bug then if you have a look within the Registry, you can probably find the cause of the problem in there.

Oh, and I'm also interested in knowing if the rooms themselves can be exported as models. I think it's amazing that after 14 years, I'm still learning things about this game. Very cool!
          The rooms for RE1/2/3/REmake/Zero are all pre-rendered, so that's a no - you can however extract the pre-rendered backgrounds and use them as a base image for rooms, although through certain methods (either archive decompression, or using a geometry ripper/capture program in other OpenGL or DirectX environments), you should be able to get the collision path out - but that's about it from what I'm aware of.

For the room files - you can really only get them out of CODE: Veronica/CODE: Veronica X/Gun Survivor 2 - CODE: Veronica, Biohazard 4, Biohazard 5 and the Chronicles games (I know that people have been able to completely extract the rooms from these in working order).

Not completely sure if anyone has gotten the Biohazard 5 rooms working in other engines yet though.

;
          Last edited by Enetirnel; 05-03-2010, 01:15 AM.
          sigpic
          Non-blurry Signature Version
          Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Well, I was really only talking about the collision paths for the rooms anyway, so I guess that's no big deal. As for Milkshape, I really didn't feel like paying $35 for something just to convert the file formats with. But, if that's the only way to do it, I guess I'll have to look into it. I probably shouldn't let that stand in my way.

Comment

Well, I was really only talking about the collision paths for the rooms anyway, so I guess that's no big deal. As for Milkshape, I really didn't feel like paying $35 for something just to convert the file formats with. But, if that's the only way to do it, I guess I'll have to look into it. I probably shouldn't let that stand in my way.
              Well, I wasn't sure as it wasn't clearly worded that way.

And there are some free converters if you have a look around, once I've finished cleaning up - I'll just convert the models for you I suppose.
              sigpic

Comment

That would be awesome of you. I wasn't going to ask because I don't want you guys to think I'm a pest. I've been looking for a converter program all day today and haven't found anything. If you can, you're a better man than I.

Comment

That would be awesome of you. I wasn't going to ask because I don't want you guys to think I'm a pest. I've been looking for a converter program all day today and haven't found anything. If you can, you're a better man than I.
                  PolyTrans has a demo, it also has a plug-in to convert from the Milkshape format... I think there was also Ani2Pov (completely free) that could also handle Milkshape format and convert animation sets to and from it as well if my memory is correct.

There's a couple of other ones, but the names seem to escape me at the moment. ;

Anyway, I've converted the models that Enrico uploaded to .obj format. Here they are in a rar archive uploaded to MediaFire.
                  Last edited by Enetirnel; 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Thanks so much! How about objects/items? Are they as easy to convert? I do plan on keeping you guys posted about my work. Do you know if anybody else on here is working with Blender? That's what I'm using to make my game. Thanks again!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks so much! How about objects/items? Are they as easy to convert? I do plan on keeping you guys posted about my work. Do you know if anybody else on here is working with Blender? That's what I'm using to make my game. Thanks again!
                      It should be alright to convert them, I would but I'm just getting used to the tools from the RE 1/2/3 Modding Forums.

And I'm not exactly sure, most people I know are working in 3D Max or Maya.

Sorry, I can't really be of much help to you. ;
                      sigpic

Comment

Not true! There's no such thing as unuseful information. Once I learn the Python scripting language that's used for Blender, there'll be no stopping me. I can already do nearly everything I need to do to make my own Resident Evil-like game. I just have to learn scripting, then I can start pulling it all together. In a perfect world, I'd love to have ALL of the models from the first three RE games, but I don't have the tools for that. You guys have done so much for me already, I thank you. I'm gonna go play with the models you gave me now.

Comment

OH! So, by the way, are there tools that would allow me to extract the models from an ISO disk image? Because that's all I've got right now.

Comment

OH! So, by the way, are there tools that would allow me to extract the models from an ISO disk image? Because that's all I've got right now.
                            Normally you can decompress an ISO you've made and grab the files out of that lot and convert them that way. Normally I use WinRar to extract the files from a digital copy of a disc I own, OR I use Apache3 (depending on what format I've made the digital copy of the disc).

With the PC versions, you could use the tools from the modding forums to extract everything you need (only Biohazard - Gun Survivor is a little iffy with the model format for both versions of it).

Though, a few of the files seem to work with either version (such as when modding Biohazard/Resident Evil 3 - you can extract the models from the PS1 version, pop them into RE3's folder after changing an access path and it'll work with those files).

Additionally, Python shouldn't be too hard for you to learn.
                            Last edited by Enetirnel; 05-04-2010, 12:03 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have one more tiny request, then I'll stop bugging you, lol. Can you get the model of the Cerberus for me? I think that's the only one Enrico didn't send me. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X