Community Input: Ad's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Input: Ad's

Yep, you are reading that right. I want to talk about ad's.

I never really thought this day would come on THIA. We've been really anti-ad in the past, even vowing an ad would never appear on the site. Times, unfortunately change, and priorities need to get set straight. The subject of ad's have recently come up while Ice and I are working on the site. We both thought it would be best to get your ideas and thoughts on the subject.

I'll be clear here, running the site costs a good deal of money. Up until this point its been coming out of my pocket for a good number of years now. Yearly Vbulletin updates, Bi-Yearly hosting, Yearly domain hosting, it all adds up (no pun intended). To help relieve some of the financial burden, I'm proposing the following:

The new site would have one single ad at the top of each page. It would be text only, and will blend into the sites banner background. It would be approximately 200 pixels in width by 88 pixels in height. We'll be using google Adsense. For an example of how this looks, check here:

Obviously, our colors will blend much more, but you get the idea. Any and all feedback on this would be appreciated. No punishments will be made here for speaking your mind (within reason ).

This will also be present on the forum, in the same position (the forum will look much more like the site than it does now, and share the top banner).
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM.

I think if it's a question of the site being shut down, or putting ads in the site, then definately put the ads in.

I know how hard you've tried to avoid it in the past, and I also know what happened when a certain resident evil site got littered with ads.

I think as long as the prime focus is the content then I'm totally fine with it, it's only Resident Evil news - not like there's really any journalistic integrity or anything to protect.

I trust you to handle it well.
    sigpic

Comment

I should mention too, I don't think this is a situation where the site will get shutdown if we don't do this. Its a matter of it will make things easier on me. Forgot to add that in there. This isn't a Dama situation ;D

Comment

Go for it, Dot-man. And if you ask me, if anyone else says otherwise, that's kind of ridiculous. Ads aren't that big of a deal.

Do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
          Ads aren't that big of a deal.
          Yes, that's pretty much my thought on the issue, too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with ads. Many, many sites I frequent have them, and it's never lowered my opinion about anything; it's just another part of the internet. And, hey, when I trust a site enough and an ad is showcasing something interesting, I do click 'em.

Besides... THIA is literally the only online message board I visit, because it's well-maintained and trustworthy. I'm sure the final outcome will be sensible and easy on the eyes.

Comment

I vote for okay on ads. I know we'd never see anything to the level of reHorror was around here. REFan has limited number of ads via adsense, and they've helped reduce the costs of domains and hosting for as long as we've had them but we don't believe they were ever that intrusive.

Considering I can still go to a mainstream gaming website, like IGN or GameSpot and be blasted with an abundance of media ads, many many intrusive, yet both sites are owned by massive media companies and shouldn't need the intrusive advertising anymore, some unobtrusive ones around here to help out seem very little to worry about.

Comment

Go for it Dot. At the very worst, you could always consider having Ads turned off for members who sign up and sign in.

Comment

ADs??? On THIA??? BLASPHEMY.

No, seriously, it's all ok, it's understandable that you guys need some extra income to support the site; I firmly believe that you are going to do what is best for the community. Go for it

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Dot50Cal? I hearda you. Heard you were dead...

As long as the ad/ads blend in with the site and aren't too flashy, why the hell not?

Comment

As I've said before, I'd gladly chip in if the costs are tight. (as you know, I also currently have the same deal for my own server as THIA - Heck. I think just got my unlimited bandwidth and space too )

But if you absolutely "want to" have ads (which I'd say nay to), I suggest following something ala. what Cless' got up on Phantasian Productions.

Un-registered (or people who're not just logged in) browsing the forums will get googleads boxes snuck in between posts every now and then (think the plug-in that's used on the board there has them also tucked into the profile segment of the opening post or something too).

Beyond that, there's just a banner and google ad on the frontpage (yuck!), but also a Play-Asia affiliate link (which has accumulated a surprisingly healthy amount of registered purchases at certain points in time), heck, I just recently noticed that I accidentally slipped in a link tied to my username in the Deadly Premonition thread and it's so far harvested a little bit (but no major sales - as you probably know, Play-Asia affiliate program gives you a pretty nice slump of money when stuff actually gets sold).

Keeping P-A links for all upcoming and past releases is easy (heck, I think they even have an "affiliate search box" now that can be embedded on sites, if my eyes didn't deceive me whilst browsing that section of their store some time ago).

So there you have it!
                    Frontpage + Forum: Make sure we use THIA "affiliate" link for Play-Asia links (evt. similar for other GOOD web stores that offers similar affiliate programs).
                    Forum only: Google ads snuck in when users browsing them are NOT logged in.

In other words, stay logged in and nothing's actually different.
                    Last edited by Carnivol; 08-31-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

While I'm not crazy fond of the idea, I know you guys are hurting for cash a little now. Personally, I'd rather donate some cash than deal with adds, but donation drives aren't always gonna be reliable.

Comment

I say go for it.

I'd love to see some "MEET LOCAL CHRISTIAN ZOMBIES IN YOUR AREA TONIGHT!" on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                          The subject of ad's have recently come up while Ice and I are working on the site.
                          You mean there's actually some progress?

Anyway, I don't mind some text ads.. But answer my email and you won't need them! Digitalize tha tapes! That applies to you too, Carn.
                          lostreleases // demopals

Comment

It is really no big deal, and most people don’t care. The only members who seem to be worried about the ads, are those of you whom are in charge – which in this case, it’s not about you. What I ‘m saying is that you are stressing yourself over something that the general population is completely content with. Believe it or not, ads give the site a more professional look, because it then becomes a replica of all the other major, professional sites.

Do it, please. Maybe that way you all can obtain more exclusive content and perhaps pay for exclusive interviews. What will a member or potential member say? OMG! THEY HAVE ADS, IM LEAVING! Yeah right.

Go for it.

Comment

Reason I'm kinda "no to ads" is that you somewhat lose control, I guess... at least if you start "selling out" ad space. Google Ads might be kinda nice, since it's supposedly fairly easy to control what you want to show up and what you don't want advertised on your site.

Originally posted by 5 Minutes View Post
                              Maybe that way you all can obtain more exclusive content and perhaps pay for exclusive interviews.
                              "Maybe" if we have some way of minimizing our expenses a little, we might be able to do more things like that and cover stuff with a bit more general appeal than just what the staff is interested in. Podcast listeners might remember me flying to the UK for a day full of general chit-chat with the good folks at Capcom Europe + an some early hands on action with Bionic Commando. I suppose we might be able to go cover some other stuff that goes beyond just personal interests if we have a bit of an extra income to cover things. (But we really do like the idea of just not having to rely on that and just cover everything out of our pockets... we've always kinda done things based on where our personal interests burn the strongest.)

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                              You mean there's actually some progress?

Anyway, I don't mind some text ads.. But answer my email and you won't need them! Digitalize tha tapes! That applies to you too, Carn.
                              I resent those accusations! I've already digitized the ones you've already sent me (even the SECAM ones, although in B&W)

But I know you want more . . . I'll digitize the rest of mine too

Comment

Working...
                              X