[QUESTION]Saturn RE1 Backgrounds [RE1 - SAT]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUESTION]Saturn RE1 Backgrounds [RE1 - SAT]

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with a method to decode these to bitmaps or anything viewable on a PC. Theres several that have been modified from the Playstation and PC releases and it would be interesting to get a full list going. Has anyone tried?

Tried via memory dumps and texture rippers directly from My Disc and an Saturn emulator but the textures come out as small squares of their former self and to me, are of a lower quality than the PSX versions. But that could be the emulator.

Comment

Classic video game modifications, fan translations, homebrew, utilities, and learning resources.

Classic video game modifications, fan translations, homebrew, utilities, and learning resources.

If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... I've wondered about the Saturn files, myself.

I do know this:

The files located within the EMD containers can be decompressed using a small utility called 'prsdec'. This compression is generally used for Sonic games, even still being used for newer titles (i've seen some PC and GCN games use this exact compression method). The EMD file containers can be extracted using BioFat.

The 'prsdec' utility can easily be found on *search engine* - just look to the first Sonic the Hedgehog site that pops up. If not, i'll provide a link.
        Last edited by MeganGrass; 04-13-2011, 12:38 AM.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Similarly, the PC versions also suffer from more compression than the original PSX, but as far as I know, they dont contain any beta ones or modified ones from the PSX version. I'll have to confirm that though with a full rip, it'll just take time.

I'll have a look a bit further into it with those apps you guys have listed. Thanks

Edit: seems like most of the utilities wont run in a 64 bit OS Guess I'll have to leave this to more technically oriented minds. Im curious if is possible to get the room/background # ram locations and just modify them all that way, capturing them all in the process. Theoretically, that would even get "beta" rooms, no?
          Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Im curious if is possible to get the room/background # ram locations and just modify them all that way, capturing them all in the process.
            Don't quote me on it, but I really doubt it.

All PSone versions, even the PC versions load a single BG at once. Given that Saturn is pretty old, now, i'd figure it's the same.

seems like most of the utilities wont run in a 64 bit OS Guess I'll have to leave this to more technically oriented minds.
            Probably so.

Not that it means much, but i'll try to look into this when I can get a day away from work.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Good stuff, It would be great to finally get these, much like you did the PC version I'm attatching two of the .BSS files that I think the backgrounds are here if anyone wants to look at them.
              Attached Files

Comment

How big is ROOM310.BSS? and is it the smallest .BSS on the disc?
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-17-2011, 12:36 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                  Edit: seems like most of the utilities wont run in a 64 bit OS Guess I'll have to leave this to more technically oriented minds. Im curious if is possible to get the room/background # ram locations and just modify them all that way, capturing them all in the process. Theoretically, that would even get "beta" rooms, no?
                  You could always try running a 32bit OS in a VMware virtual machine :]

Comment

Kev, heres the largest and smallest on the disc.
                    Attached Files

Comment

How big is ROOM310.BSS? it should be a single background for the elevator down to the lab.

sigpic

Comment

42.5kb on that background Kevstah.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                          Don't quote me on it, but I really doubt it.

All PSone versions, even the PC versions load a single BG at once. Given that Saturn is pretty old, now, i'd figure it's the same.

Probably so.

Not that it means much, but i'll try to look into this when I can get a day away from work.
                          Yep it loads a single BS out of the BSS into the NGB1 and NGB3 of VPD2, use the software video core instead OpenGL or they won't show up.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X