Videos: Logos or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos: Logos or No?

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. In the past the reason I put a logo on our videos was to prevent people from re-uploading it onto their site. That doesn't really seem to be too big of a concern (since most of the "big" sites out there all have good relationships with one another). And its not really a big deal these days with Youtube becoming very popular, making the "average joe" into something akin to a Webmaster.

About the only reason why I'd like to still do this would be so that people who just see stuff like our 4D video, know where it came from, and can come to the site as a result of that to find more. Obviously we'd use a minimalistic url in the bottom right corner, but I want to get some opinions on it.

So, what do you think?

If you ask me a light watermark on a corner should work. Or maybe a brief intro/outro with the site's logo and URL?
    Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 04-16-2011, 12:08 AM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

I hate those intro/outro things. If you're watching a ton of videos from a site it becomes so annoying. If anything it has to be that little watermark.

Comment

I do hate when people do intros that are long, sometimes longer than the actual content...
        Still I think a non-invasive watermark is the best option.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Yeah, a little watermark in the corner that's mostly transparent should be good. You and the guys who rip this stuff deserve the credit for them, and there's always gonna be some asshole out to take shortcuts.

Comment

Go with the watermark Dot.
            sigpic

Comment

To be honest I don't see the need for a watermark or any other such property-of markings these days. Especially in the Biohazard community. There are no actual sites which would outright steal the videos apart from really low-rate ones. We don't use anything at all on Project Umbrella and it seems to be working out fine. I haven't seen a website steal or claim any video on the site as their own, and we've been open since 2007/8 now.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I think the present fansite community is very honest and I don't know case of theft that has caused some blood between them. At the end you realize that quality and good words will come if you don't use any reestricción for visitors. If you think of the thief, you're hurting your main friend, the visitor. Thieves are everywhere, just look at the number of pages to download movies. However if you don't restrict anything, your number of "friends " will multiply that after all I think is your goal.

Please be assured that the most thieves will be on YouTube. But there is no cure for that, you must assume. For example see how you did TTSBB project, if you had put a watermark, anyone who would like to print to their library would fucking live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  To be honest I don't see the need for a watermark or any other such property-of markings these days. Especially in the Biohazard community. There are no actual sites which would outright steal the videos apart from really low-rate ones. We don't use anything at all on Project Umbrella and it seems to be working out fine. I haven't seen a website steal or claim any video on the site as their own, and we've been open since 2007/8 now.
                  It's not really about honesty as it is about getting people to check out THIA.

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                  About the only reason why I'd like to still do this would be so that people who just see stuff like our 4D video, know where it came from, and can come to the site as a result of that to find more. Obviously we'd use a minimalistic url in the bottom right corner, but I want to get some opinions on it.
                  ?
                  This is what I mean.

After all, what brought me to THIA was when I was searching for information on "Resident Evil Archives", which directly led me to the forums and here I am today.

I'm all in for a watermark.
                  Freedom of Information.

Comment

A tiny watermark on the bottom right shouldn't be that offensive.

Comment

Watermarks are very unnecessary, what with the 3,000 places you can find the same video online nowadays anyways.

If you are going to put a watermark in, make it 50% transparent and grey-scale. It'll still show up, but users won't be annoyed by its presence.

Comment

It would basically be this:
                        Attached Files

Comment

If you put your watermark too low, some asshole may just want to crop your video to get read of it and claim it as his own.
                          While I agree that start credits are a pain, how about only using end credits? The user who's interested by them will watch them and anyone else will just stops the video.
                          Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

If they are going to go through the trouble of cropping the video, just let them. None of us made the game, Capcom did. It's technically them allowing you to host the video.

So if they want to crop the video, then go ahead. If it's really that big of a deal, don't make the video available for download.

I think that logo in that video looks great. It's a reminder of where the video came from, while not being intrusive to the viewer.

Comment

Thats the whole goal, to get people to come to the site if they don't know about it. I never intended logos to be used as a theft deterrent these days as I said in the first post. I'm still undecided if we'll use em or not, so any other feedback would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X