HD Collection PS3 Exclusive (Hah! 360 too) /New VAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Collection PS3 Exclusive (Hah! 360 too) /New VAs

While it was announced in a maelstrom of Silent Hill information, Konami hasn't cleared up much about the Silent Hill HD Collection, until now.

Konami has confirmed that the HD collection of Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 3, will be remastered on the PlayStation 3 exclusively. Of course, this 2-in-1 horror-fest will include the mandatory trophy support, but Konami has stated that both games will come bearing new voice-overs. The inclusion of new voice-acting comes as a surprise, albeit a welcomed one, but it's nice to see Konami try to patch up the game before its release.

This announcement of exclusivity contrasts Konami's choice to bring the (also) newly announced Metal Gear Solid/Zone of the Enders HD Collections to the PS3, and Xbox 360.

TGL got in touch with Guy Cihi, the voice of Silent Hill 2 protagonist James Sunderland and asked him if he would be returning to voice James in the HD Collection and if he knew anything about being re-cast. He had some blunt words for Konami and made the following response:

“Konami knows that they owe me residuals for all previous unauthorized re-uses of my mocap and vocal performances. It would appear Konami is seeking to avoid further liability by changing the voice in their latest re-use of the SH2 materials. However, if any of my mocap appears in the new release, Konami will be liable for unauthorized reuse of my performance. Like Gump’s momma said, “Stupid is as stupid does.” It would have been much better for everyone had Konami simply made me a reasonable offer…”

He added further; “I’ll get around to seeking compensation through the courts one of these days. I simply don’t have the time for it right now. I hope this doesn’t bum out any fans… It’s just business as usual on the production side of games.”
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Fucking Konami...why fix what isn't broken (I know the answer's money, but god damn)? I mean, the VA isn't perfect, but I don't think fans would appreciate being jarred by stuff like that. Oh well, I'm just going to assume from here on that the replacements will be Oscar calibre.

Comment

You've got to be kidding me.. And just what the f*ck was wrong with the original voice acting?? "A welcome change"? Who is welcoming this change? Their example of the supposed "poor" voice acting is the opening cinematic.. That's bad voice acting? Is it perfect, no, but it is certainly effective. That scene remains to be one of the most unsettling in the not just the game, but the whole series!

If the original voice track is not an option, which at this point seems unlikely due to liabilities, then you can count me the hell out. Good job Konami.
      Last edited by PracticalAl; 06-10-2011, 06:15 PM. Reason: ANGER.
      sigpic

Comment

To be honest the original VA was crap.

Comment

"He added further; “I’ll get around to seeking compensation through the courts one of these days. I simply don’t have the time for it right now."

Oh cut the bullshit hahaha

Comment

^ This all came out of the wood work a year or so back, so he's not lying... he's not stalling for more time or to make more money one would think, because he tried contacting Konami about it several times. If he wanted more he'd be forcing it through the system now to enforce it and also make more money off the HD edition in further royalties. He's not an actor by trade, so he's probably busy with his actual work.

The fact they announced the HD editions, I'd thought they'd worked this out but clearly they haven't. Might mean a delay in the release depending on what happens next.

Comment

This is unbelievable BS. Silent Hill 3 had awesome voice over work. It's also an insult to Richard Grosse who died shortly after the release of SH3. "No-one will be crying over my grave", damn right, Konami don't give a crap..

Comment

Comment

I own Silent Hill 2 and 3. I like the voice acting in both. I will not bother buying these versions when all they offer is, likely, some cheap and inferior voice actors trying to sound like the voice I've heard for the last decade. Oh, and slightly updated graphics...

Comment

It's pretty disrespectful. It would be like DC Douglas voicing Wesker in the HD versions of Code Veronica and RE4...on second thought I better not jinx myself.....*knocks on wood*

Comment

HD repackages are totally worthless anyway, just hook up a PS2 or install them on a PC and play them, why pay again for something you already have? To smooth out a few lines? Looks aren't what make a game good, the first SH looks like shit and it's still awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                        HD repackages are totally worthless anyway, just hook up a PS2 or install them on a PC and play them, why pay again for something you already have? To smooth out a few lines? Looks aren't what make a game good, the first SH looks like shit and it's still awesome.
                        Personally I've tried playing several PS2 games on HDTVs and they mostly look like crap to the point it detracts from the game. I don't have or want a PC to emulate them and I got tired of PC gaming years back.

But most of all, I'd happily pay for the ability to play those games without having to get my PS2 back out from being packed away and instead enjoy the easy of playing them on my PS3 without crap like memory cards and wired controllers.

HD remasters = awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                          What a wonderfully short sighted view

What about those who don't have a PS2? What about those without the PC hardware to emulate? What about those who DON'T already have it?

Comment

I think I'll stick to my original intention of picking up the Splinter Cell HD Collection. Least I don't run from enemies like LITTLE LITTLE COWARD MAN.
                            See you in hell.

Comment

Outside of the PS2 thing... I own the games (including both the PAL Director's Cut) and I'd love it in HD. HD editions of Silent Hill will be epic. Silent Hill 3 already had high render options on the PC which the console edition was lacking for obvious reasons.

I somehow doubt the voices in SH3 will be changed, it looks like they are referring to the voice issues in SH2. But it's silly because Cihi did the mo-cap as he mentioned (some of it is shown on the SH2 making of disc), so they might as well just pay him for his work and get the thing out there as it was originally rather than hiring new actors.

I also hope they are putting the Restless Dreams edition and not just the original.

Comment

Working...
                              X