PS2 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 problems

My PS2 is acting up. Sorry for not being an expert with this, so I'm not sure if this is common problem or what cause is. My PS2 won't play PS2 games but it will play all of the old PlayStation games like RE3 and Silent Hill. It plays a few PS2 games but not most of them. Also it wouldn't play the DVD I tried but it did play the CD. Anyone have any answers on what could be wrong with it?

Sounds like the laser is dying, You should call sony and tell them you are getting disc read errors. They should replace it for free even if its out of warranty.

Comment

Almost definately the laser. You can either call up Sony, or you can shell out about £30 for a brand new laser and put it in yourself.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Get a lens cleaner, depending on where you go you can pick one up for about a fiver or so. I've never known there to be a difference between a CD Lens cleaner and a DVD Lens cleaner but some shops seem to think so and charge more for the latter but I digress. Pick one up give it a whirl or three in your PS2 and see how it is after that. Odds are that should solve it, how old is your PS2 btw cause it could also be on the way out . . .
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I did get RE Outbreak to work which was the game I was trying to play. Hopefully Code Veronica will work too since its been awhile since I played them.

Comment

If you've used it a lot, it may just be dropping out due to sheer amount of use. My old one did that, so I ended up buying a new slimline one.

Comment

I've "repaired" a few with similar problems, and your scenario sounds like it's just plain ol' dust accumulation on the lens. Had your PS games not worked, then it would've been a calibration issue.

So all you need is a CD-based lens cleaning disc (those ones with bristles). Run it through a couple of times, and you'll be fine. I personally use the Maxell ones once a month on most of my laser components, aside from front loading drives. Still got a Japanese launch unit ticking myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDinobot View Post
                Thanks guys. I did get RE Outbreak to work which was the game I was trying to play. Hopefully Code Veronica will work too since its been awhile since I played them.
                How old is your PS2?
                sigpic

Comment

^^^ I got it the 1st Christmas it was out.

Comment

Certainly a dust issue then although fatigue will play a part, if you've ever opened your PC you'll know how quickly dust can gather inside.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X