Just bought a PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a PS3

I got it with Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Asian version with English language) and a HDMI cable for $600USD. It's looking good on 1080p. I decided an Asian PS3 was the way to go. Especially after I read about how Taiwan customs only just stopped confiscating Wii's due to the wifi capabilities I doubt they had even seen a US PS3 past through lol. I'll wait till the price drops before I get the US one.

I just updated to firmware 1.82. Took awhile for some reason. I'll check out all the PlayStation stores soon, I see Biohazard Director's Cut is on there along with some other cool games - I actually like Syphon Filter lol.. Though the PS3 wireless is a bit weird. Whenever I go online it's disconnecting my other wifi connections. Maybe it's something to do with the QoS engine of my DIR-655 or the PS3 network settings..

The next few days I'll get Elder Scrolls, Resistance and Silent Hill BD.

Actually I don't really know why I posted this lol, I guess I am just excited as my money mostly goes on my wife and kid lol. Something for ol' Scream today...
    Last edited by Scream; 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM.

Turn on full RGB! Its in the video settings. If your set supports it, it will make the colors a lot better!

Comment

Haha thanks. I saw that option but didn't know what it was, thought it was something to do with a scart lol.

My Bio Hazard Director's Cut download is 81% complete. It cost $4.50USD, not bad. I'll get Tekken Dark Resurrection and Gran Turismo HD later (though I hear GT HD isn't very good). Just been messing around with the media server which is okay I guess. I played Ninja Gaiden also which is quite fun. Has anyone checked for differences in any of the PSX games on the service?

Comment

I just played a little bit of Bio DC. Here's some info for people who haven't played it (though im sure someone else has done it before)..

The graphics aren't too bad even when you run it full screen. It's sort of like playing the PC/Saturn version mixed together (the backgrounds and 3D models aren't very clear) but its very playable. You can also "feel" it's a bit different, Wesker's flailing arms aren't really in-sync with the voices at the beginning (or am I just imagining things and it's always been like that). The differences, well Bio DC isn't exactly the version I choose to play when I want to play RE1 original so I can't be 100% sure on the differences. I wondered about a few things though.

There are some good points, you can access the Japanese printed user manual in the PS3 XMB while playing the game which is pretty cool I guess. Also it's nice having infinite save slots and the ability to quit to the PS3 menu, but I suppose you would get that with the ordinary PS1 CD version on PS3.

Comment

I've yet to try a PSOne game on my PS3, but from what I can tell it is pretty nice. I wanna know if upscaling to 1080p has any real negative effects =P

Comment

No, I dont think it does. But the filtering should be done on a case by case basis. If you have a good television the upscaling wont show a difference (something Ill test with direct captures when my new capture card arrives).

Comment

With 1.8 firmware there was, but I have yet to try it again with the latter versions. Basically, ANY upscaling causes MPEG file audio to skip for most titles and very few to skip frames and in-game audio.

Comment

Is there any way to put a PSX ISO that has been converted using PopStation (into the EBOOT.PBP format) onto a PS3 from a PSP and play it there? =D
                Last edited by James; 07-01-2007, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Nope, not that I know of. I believe the only exploit right now is a swap method to play PS1/PS2 backup CDs. It shouldn't be too long before the PS3 HDD is more usable in that way though.

I picked up Resistance and another wireless controller last Friday, but I've only been able to play it for like 15 minutes or so. I see that PS3 is outselling the Wii and Xbox 360 in Australia, it's about time that happened somewhere. The PS3 is a great system, I haven't been involved in "console wars" since I was younger but to me the Wii is just crappy in comparison... A crappy fad... Too bad I'll have to buy one for Umbrella Chronicles.

Comment

The PS3 isn't outselling the Wii or 360. It's a very clever spin that Sony put on that news story, which unfortunately many people are thinking is the norm.

Considering at the 4 month mark, both the 360 and the Wii sold much more than the PS3 did at the 4 month mark that just passed, it isn't outselling.

But heck, I've got all 3 so I'm not complaining =P

Comment

I still retain my opinion that the Wii is a n00b console haha. There are a lot of n00bs in this world to buy one. As long as you buy it for UC your alright though..

Comment

I bought it merely so I could own all three.... >_>

Comment

I made that mistake last generation and I only own 4 Xbox games, two of which are NG and NG Black.

I got a Wii recently, and I'm only getting a 360 again when NG2 comes out. To have two systems crap out on me so soon is a bit much to swallow; I didn't lose any money but I'll wait for them to add that GPU heat sink to all units.

EDIT: Scream, apparently the craptacular CE of Sigma has a code that unlocks 5 mission modes. Someone posted it already, and it actually works on the JPN and Asian versions:

At the mission select screen enter Up, Down, Left, Down, Right, Up, Square.

Boss fights, two of which are Rachel's facing Niccae and Ishtaros and another facing Doku with some samurai.
                          Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the code I never knew about that, I'll check it out. I'm planning to get the 360 Elite when they make it available here (whenever that is).

The Resistance online update is taking forever. My PS3 system information says my NAT type is 2 but UPNP is not enabled, even though it's enabled on my router. I guess that's causing the problem (or maybe it's the server location)... It's already reset twice, the last time at 80% (each time taking nearly an hour), it doesn't even have a resume function. Totally radical d00d!

Comment

Early adopter eh? If I may ask, what persuaded you to buy a PS3?

Comment

Working...
                              X