Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliens: Colonial Marines

Anyone else pumped for this game?

It's being marketed as an official canon sequel to the 1986 film which is utter bobbins obviously.

*Half of Hadley's Hope still stands despite the thermal nuclear explosion.
    *Despite there originally being only 158 colonists on the planet there are hundreds of xenomorphs running around.
    *The air is still breathable to humans despite the destruction of the atmosphere processor.

All minor nitpicks sure, but still relevant with Gearbox marketing their product as official canon.

Despite this, game looks promising for the nostalgia factor alone. The chance to roam the Sulaco, the colony and the original derelict with rumoured Prometheus add-ons makes this worth the money alone.
    Last edited by TheBatMan; 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM.
    "I've got 100 cows."
    "Well I've got 104 friends."

oh, young man, im very excited about this game. you know, the original alien vs predator from 2010 has amazing visuals, fair mechanics, high fidelity to the movies, and personally, its more survival horror than RE.

i dont know the plot, its based on the movie where that child appears?

Comment

I am pumped as well. I know two GM's at the two local GameStop's I go to and both said they played it in a demo event. Both said it was a good game.
      My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Prediction time. It's going to be a huge pile of crap and might be even worst than the last AvP game. Grades will be between 5 and 7/10.

Comment

Aliens is quite possibly my favorite film ever, I've seen it probably over 10 times and I still love it. Naturally I'm pumped for this game but from what I've both seen and heard, it doesn't sound like anything amazing aside from another shooter with Aliens. Hopefully I'll be wrong though...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
            Prediction time. It's going to be a huge pile of crap and might be even worst than the last AvP game. Grades will be between 5 and 7/10.
            Who actually gives a fuck about reviews in this day and age? Oh and last AvP game was great!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Great? Seems legit.

Comment

Personally I think AVP2010 was treated a little harshly upon its release. It may have had some multiplayer issues but the single player campaigns were fine, although the story wasn't exactly in-depth. I would have liked it to have been as detailed as Monolith's AVP2 in terms of storyline.

Anyway, CM looks the business, and has returning voice actors from the film too including Mark Rolston, Al Matthews, William Hope, Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen. It is also supposed to definitively answer the egg on the sulaco mystery at the beginning of Alien 3 as well as other revelations that once seen and understood 'will make Alien 3 a better film' according to Randy Pitchford.

Very bold words indeed.
                "I've got 100 cows."
                "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Chris View Post
                  Who actually gives a fuck about reviews in this day and age?
                  well, they can save you some bucks from RE ORC and 6.

AVP 2010, thats how 3 campaigns works like a charm... people should try it on a good pc, the visuals are stunning.

Comment

Played it, is shit. Melee kill an Alien, yeah! Just like in the movies. Well, shit is a bit harsh. As bad if not worse than the last AvP game maybe a better description. Or perhaps complete shit compared to AvP1 and 2 on PC over 10 year ago?

The development history alone should send up alarm bells. Was 'Colonial Marines Forever' for a lot of years, funny when you look who the develop is.

Expect majority of scores in the 70s.
                    Last edited by Dracarys; 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM.
                    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Well, its impossible to melee kill an alien, its more like shove them. and if you shoot them close to you, their acid kills you, its so amazing, but a lil bit annoying. well, i mean in hard mode.

Comment

Yeah, it's dev history goes back to early PS2 but unlike DNF it's been different entire versions/platforms and developers, companies... everything. Was supposed to be an EA game, then Sega got the franchise rights... and then dropped development of it for a couple of years in the mid 2000's before the whole idea was opened up again and.... handed to Gearbox.... yeah, kinda like DNF if DNF was just an idea I guess. The version coming out in Feb has really only been in dev for this generation, since December 2006. But six years is still a hefty fricking chunk of time. That indeed has me worried as well.

Old PS2 EA version from E3 2001. Looks mostly like AVP Marines Campaign really, with early PS2 gen Squad based ideas. Had it come out in 2002 as planned would have been one of the first Squad based shooters IIRC.
                        http://www.unseen64.net"Futuristic FPS based on the Aliens universe that ended up getting cancelled in the Summer of 2002.[...]Aliens: Colonial Marines is a ...

I was hoping I wouldn't be burned on it like I was with the AVP 2010 release, but while the earlier trailers looked good the latest Story one had me worried and I'm cautious about paying for the CE again.... what to do, what to do....
                        Last edited by Rombie; 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I don't think it's going to turn out great either, such a shame.

When it first arrived on the scene 10 years ago, it was said to be a modern day Space Hulk. A slow burning squad based shooter where the Aliens would stalk you, and should a marine get taken you have to weigh up the decision of going to rescue them.

Now it looks like a wholly scripted, mind numbing shooter, with some ridiculous decisions (strange bull Aliens? Oh my fucking god).

They also need to explain who the Suluco ends up being outside LV426 and not Fury 161.
                          http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                          http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                          Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Spera01 View Post
                            Aliens is quite possibly my favorite film ever, I've seen it probably over 10 times and I still love it. Naturally I'm pumped for this game but from what I've both seen and heard, it doesn't sound like anything amazing aside from another shooter with Aliens. Hopefully I'll be wrong though...
                            Only around 10 times?

Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                            Anyway, CM looks the business, and has returning voice actors from the film too including Mark Rolston, Al Matthews, William Hope, Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen.
                            Holy crap, Apone is still alive? I thought he was dead! His IMDB page said he died of lung cancer or something. I see he is alive and kicking now, odd but cool!

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                            Yeah, it's dev history goes back to early PS2 but unlike DNF it's been different entire versions/platforms and developers, companies... everything. Was supposed to be an EA game, then Sega got the franchise rights... and then dropped development of it for a couple of years in the mid 2000's before the whole idea was opened up again and.... handed to Gearbox.... yeah, kinda like DNF if DNF was just an idea I guess. The version coming out in Feb has really only been in dev for this generation, since December 2006. But six years is still a hefty fricking chunk of time. That indeed has me worried as well.

Old PS2 EA version from E3 2001. Looks mostly like AVP Marines Campaign really, with early PS2 gen Squad based ideas. Had it come out in 2002 as planned would have been one of the first Squad based shooters IIRC.
                            http://www.unseen64.net"Futuristic FPS based on the Aliens universe that ended up getting cancelled in the Summer of 2002.[...]Aliens: Colonial Marines is a ...

I was hoping I wouldn't be burned on it like I was with the AVP 2010 release, but while the earlier trailers looked good the latest Story one had me worried and I'm cautious about paying for the CE again.... what to do, what to do....
                            That looks like a poor man's Alien Trilogy hah, though the squad part looks cool - I like how his team run off halfway to leave him against three aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post

History has taugt me when an announced game goes completely silent for years and misses release dates by years it is usually a bad sign, you don't need 6 years to make an Aliens game. The project was probably halted or cancelled in favour of AvP, but that failed. Seen dev comments that the game wasn't started on for years but that doesn't really fit with the original early 2009 release date. Was also slated for early 2012 after its 're-announcement', then late 2012, now 2013.

If you don't need this day 1 I can see the CE tanking in price.
                              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Working...
                              X