Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[QUESTION] Hex editing a Code Veronica save for character modification [Dreamcast]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUESTION] Hex editing a Code Veronica save for character modification [Dreamcast]

I've done some hex editing on the save files of two versions of Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. They are Resident Evil Code Veronica (USA) and Resident Evil Code Veronica Complete (JP). The hex editor I used is from Dream Explorer. Both versions have the same location in the save file for the type of playable character in the main story. The location is at offset: 0x00808. In this location, you can set different values such as: "00" which lets you play as Claire (default version), "01" which lets you play as Chris, "02" which lets you play as Steve, and "03" which lets you play as Wesker. I've tested it and they all work perfectly. The problem that I'm having with is the value "04" which supposedly lets you play as Alternate Claire (Battle mode version). Every time I load up a save with the value "04", I get a black screen and nothing happens in the USA version. In Code Veronica Complete (JP), if I load up a save with the value "04", the character model is missing but I can see the room I'm in and access the menu. Since the character model is missing, I can't move at all. Is there more hex editing that I have to do in the save in order to play as Alternate Claire? What offset should I look at? What is/are the correct value(s)?
    Last edited by m0cca; 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM.

I know you can do it on the Gamecube but that probably isn't much help - never played the Dreamcast version fully though sorry..
    "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I know how to change characters and other things such as health and items with an hex editor in PS2 version, I was able to change character the way you say: 0 is Claire, 1 Chris, 2 Steve and 3 Wesker, all for main game, but 04 doesn`t bring Alt Claire so probably you can`t get it this way neither Dreamcast or PS2. You could try gameshark or codebreaker as an alternative way.
      The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
        I know how to change characters and other things such as health and items with an hex editor in PS2 version, I was able to change character the way you say: 0 is Claire, 1 Chris, 2 Steve and 3 Wesker, all for main game, but 04 doesn`t bring Alt Claire so probably you can`t get it this way neither Dreamcast or PS2. You could try gameshark or codebreaker as an alternative way.
        I know for the gamecube you can play as Alt. Claire in Main Game.. I've done it myself - aswell as playing in the 1st person mode (that was in minigame)
        Jay007 (the infamous guy who made codes for RE games) made them and it fixed so that the shift to Steve and Chris in the story did not crash.
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I'm starting to think that it's impossible to do it through hex editing a save. Perhaps the only way is through codebreaker/gameshark =(. The reason why I want to find out on how to do it through hex editing a save is so that I don't have to input or turn on the code every time I start the game in order to play as alternate Claire like you do for codebreaker/gameshark.

Comment

Is this the guide you were following?

The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

I've seen that guide from gamefaqs before but that person used a different hex editor therefore the offset location is different in his guide.

Comment

Working...
              X