Conversation Between Rombie and GuardhouseMusic

5 Visitor Messages

1. No problem.
  2. Thanks, that was quite a list. I recognized The Datsuns, Split Enz, Steriogram, Darcy Clay, and Straitjacket Fits (Shayne Carter is doing his Dimmer project). I'll check out some stuff from a few of those bands.
  3. Don't get me started on other bands... he's a list across the genre's... Steriogram, Deja Voodoo, Voom, Goodshirt, Tadpole, Th' Dudes, Hello Sailor, The Datsuns, The (Dance) Exponents, Opshop, The Reduction Agents, Salmonella Dub, Katchafire, Paseload, The Black Seeds (has Bret Mackenzie from Flight of the Conchords in it), DD Smash, Dave Dobbyn, Betchadupa, Split Enz, Blindspott, Dragon, Evermore, The Bleeders, Blerta, The Feelers, The Mutton Birds, The Tutts, Straitjacket Fits, Darcy Clay, Netherworld Dancing Toys, Mi-Sex, Strawpeople, Headless Chickens... I could just keep going...
  4. Yeah I recognize every name you listed off... Wow, that's crazy. Some of those are some obscurely 80's Dunedin bands that you listed off there... I'm originally from down there, so the "Dunedin Sound" is always a big discussion point. Most of the founders of those are still involved in music in other forms these days, some teaching music at the University's here. The Verlaines "Death and the Maiden" was just outside of my top 15, as was The Clean's "Tally Ho."
  5. At some point I'm going to get into a bunch of New Zealand bands; right now I really like The Chills. I hear they're quite popular in NZ but it seems you'd be lucky to find 100 people in the US who has heard of 'em. I've also heard good things about The Clean and The Verlaines. That's just in terms of the 80s though. There are more recent bands I'd like to get into. I've heard good stuff from Dimmer and The Mint Chicks, and people have recommended me Die! Die! Die!

Do any of these bands ring a bell? Have any other recommendations?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5