Uncharted 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biohazard EX View Post
    For your favorite PS3 exclusive, you give it a lot of criticism.
    Uh, so?

Am I not allowed to like a game and criticize it at the same time?

Comment

Well, you make it sound like you didn't like it. I mean, you said, "Uncharted was amassive disappointment for me."
      Which I can't imagine how. It's like Tomb Raider, but better, so how can that be disappointing?

Comment

Well, you make it sound like you didn't like it. I mean, you said, "Uncharted was amassive disappointment for me."
        Which I can't imagine how. It's like Tomb Raider, but better, so how can that be disappointing?
        Because it's almost nothing like Tomb Raider except for the locale?

Tomb Raider is an adventure/platform/puzzle game with shooting elements tossed in. Uncharted is a third person shooter with adventure/platform/puzzle elements tossed in. The focus of the two games is completely different.

I guess you could say I went in with the wrong expectations, but for a game from Naughty Dog, I expected some serious precision platforming, which is why I play most of their games. The platforming in Uncharted was practically nonexistant. What was there was so simplistic and automatic that I have to wonder why they even bothered with it. The same can be said of the puzzles, though I'm not even sure what were in the game can legitimately be called "puzzles."

The shooting was solid, much better than Jak II or Jak III, but still not quite up to par with the likes of Gears of War, which it tried so hard to emulate. I also loved the story, characters, and writing. The QTEs, on the other hand, were totally unnecessary and came out of nowhere. I'm still not entirely certain how I feel about the melee combat, as I hardly ever used it.

It was a solid game, just not spectacular. However, I still enjoyed it far more than most of the other games I have played on the PS3. But that isn't to say that it was without some serious flaws and drawbacks.

And I guess I should qualify what I meant by "massive disappointment." I was speaking in relative terms. If Uncharted had been made by any other developer than Naughty Dog, it probably wouldn't have been such a big disappointment, but the fact that it was made by a developer I really love and have come to expect a lot from, what would have otherwise been a minor disappointment is made all the worse given the pedigree. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Stealth was possible in Drake's Fortune, but only for like two or three guys, max. I've snapped many necks from behind, silently, only to have someone magically realize I'm there, scream to his buddies, and begin firing upon my position with unmatched accuracy.

If they fix the little annoying things from the first game, Among Thieves could be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
            Because it's almost nothing like Tomb Raider except for the locale?

Tomb Raider is an adventure/platform/puzzle game with shooting elements tossed in. Uncharted is a third person shooter with adventure/platform/puzzle elements tossed in. The focus of the two games is completely different.

I guess you could say I went in with the wrong expectations, but for a game from Naughty Dog, I expected some serious precision platforming, which is why I play most of their games. The platforming in Uncharted was practically nonexistant. What was there was so simplistic and automatic that I have to wonder why they even bothered with it. The same can be said of the puzzles, though I'm not even sure what were in the game can legitimately be called "puzzles."

The shooting was solid, much better than Jak II or Jak III, but still not quite up to par with the likes of Gears of War, which it tried so hard to emulate. I also loved the story, characters, and writing. The QTEs, on the other hand, were totally unnecessary and came out of nowhere. I'm still not entirely certain how I feel about the melee combat, as I hardly ever used it.

It was a solid game, just not spectacular. However, I still enjoyed it far more than most of the other games I have played on the PS3. But that isn't to say that it was without some serious flaws and drawbacks.

And I guess I should qualify what I meant by "massive disappointment." I was speaking in relative terms. If Uncharted had been made by any other developer than Naughty Dog, it probably wouldn't have been such a big disappointment, but the fact that it was made by a developer I really love and have come to expect a lot from, what would have otherwise been a minor disappointment is made all the worse given the pedigree. I hope that makes sense.
            The gameplay mechanics, platforming wise, are nearly identical to Tomb Raider. When I first picked up Tomb Raider Legend (which was AFTER playing Uncharted), I felt right at home because of how close the mechanics were. Even the way they hang onto the cliffs, or jump off them, is nearly identical.
            Uncharted has much more fluid animations, so in that respect, it feels a lot more fomfortable than Tomb Raider, but overall the mechanics are very much alike.

The only difference are the fighting/shooting mechanics. Which were great. I haven't played Gears of War, but whatever Uncharted was trying to do, I felt like they nailed it.

Comment

The guns need to be fixed in Uncharted 2. You can beat all of Drake's Fortune using only the default pistol.
              Last edited by Vector; 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Ah man bout damn time I been waiting for this since I first finished the original and I've done that bout 20 times since. Cant belive there is actually critisims about this game, its the most perfect game made, the graphics are amazing love the fighting both combat and shooting, you can monkey about the place like your king kong and it had one hell of a story and some great characters. I never liked any of naughty dogs games thought they all sucked big time so I'm glad they didnt make it like thier previous game because I probably would have hated it. Judging from that trailer he looking seriously hurt what the hell happened to him, imagine he dies in the opening act then you play as Elena or something. Because thats the only way this game can go wrong.

Comment

The game was far from perfect, man. It was great...but no game is perfect. I can think of plenty of flaws.

Comment

Well yeah obviously but compared to half the crap that comes out now its now far from it. There are flaws with every game.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                      The guns need to be fixed in Uncharted 2. You can beat all of Drake's Fortune using only the default pistol.
                      That doesn't mean that it's exactly easy. But what's wrong with that?
                      Given enough ammo, you could beat REmake with just a handgun. That's how it should be.

How exactly would you fix the guns?

Comment

The PM 9mm has the same effect, if not better, from long range as say, an M4A1 or AK-47.

...that's a problem.

Comment

So you're saying it should be weaker?
                          I'm not picky about things like that. A bullet is a bullet. Realistically speaking, ONE would put a man down, leave them writhing in pain at least.

Comment

I just played through Drake's Fortune again. You can SNIPE with the PM 9mm. I've shot and killed enemies from what seems like over a hundred yards away...that shouldn't be happening. Also, the power of the gun is pretty much the same as an assault rifle...that shouldn't be happening either. Either weaken the default weapon and the handguns and make them less effective, or make the other weapons more powerful and effective -- or both.

Comment

Doesn't really bother me. Gameplay is gameplay. Like I said, can't have it one hundred percent realistic. I mean, if they do it, it's fine. But if the weapon mechanics are exactly the same in Uncharted 2, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Comment

Doesn't really bother me. Gameplay is gameplay. Like I said, can't have it one hundred percent realistic. I mean, if they do it, it's fine. But if the weapon mechanics are exactly the same in Uncharted 2, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.
                                Me neither. I'll enjoy the hell out of Among Thieves, but when you play through a game 4, 5 times like I have with Drake's Fortune, you start to notice the imperfections. DF had lots and lots of gunplay...noticing the unevenness of the guns is really annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X