Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silent Hill to get the 'reboot' treatment too?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Silent Hill to get the 'reboot' treatment too?

    Gosh. Why are so many franchises allegedly getting this done to them? With talk of rebooting Resident Evil, Onimusha and Dino Crisis, this must be a new trend or something.

    http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-n...ly-nightmares/

    I think it's funny that I guy who gets 'easily scared' would actually want to remake / reboot the series.

  • #2
    Ignoring the RelyOnHorror bit, this is obviously actual news (a sitdown IV with Kojima and Geoff "DBag" Keighley....)... Kojima should indeed just produce it on the Fox Engine, get people from the original three or four games with still any ties to Konami in to do some work where they can (Ito's done work for them post leaving for example), and let part of his KojiPro team do the grunt work. It's not a stupid idea, and it's certainly worth a shot after how the franchise has gone in the past decade. Regarding the scared person thing, Mikami was like that to when working on original RE and that didn't stop him.

    This is one franchise where a reboot probably can get away not feeling like a reboot too... as long as core elements stay in place then it will still just be a SH title. But the last so many games have mostly started to get all these parts wrong.

    But the bigger problem stems entirely from if the series can still hold any relevance at all... it''s never been a massive massive seller, the biggest title in the franchise was SH2 from both critical and sales, no doubt, but every game from SH3 on has struggled quite a bit to hold decent sales.

    So it's not a question of if this should happen at Konami with Kojima but rather one of if there is any point trying to bring the franchise back in any form, reboot or not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rombie View Post
      Ignoring the RelyOnHorror bit, this is obviously actual news (a sitdown IV with Kojima and Geoff "DBag" Keighley....)... Kojima should indeed just produce it on the Fox Engine, get people from the original three or four games with still any ties to Konami in to do some work where they can (Ito's done work for them post leaving for example), and let part of his KojiPro team do the grunt work. It's not a stupid idea, and it's certainly worth a shot after how the franchise has gone in the past decade. Regarding the scared person thing, Mikami was like that to when working on original RE and that didn't stop him.

      This is one franchise where a reboot probably can get away not feeling like a reboot too... as long as core elements stay in place then it will still just be a SH title. But the last so many games have mostly started to get all these parts wrong.

      But the bigger problem stems entirely from if the series can still hold any relevance at all... it''s never been a massive massive seller, the biggest title in the franchise was SH2 from both critical and sales, no doubt, but every game from SH3 on has struggled quite a bit to hold decent sales.

      So it's not a question of if this should happen at Konami with Kojima but rather one of if there is any point trying to bring the franchise back in any form, reboot or not.
      They're probably hoping that the attachment of his name and engine will boost sales, especially in the aftermath of MGS5 . Still, it's no guarantee. Kojima can lead people to the water (beautiful FOX Engine water!) but he can't make them drink. Hopefully (if it even happens), they can generate enough interest to make people thirsty for SH again--and after the more recent entries that many frowned upon, Kojima's involvement certainly wouldn't hurt.

      Stay thirsty my friends.
      Last edited by REmaster; 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM.
      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

      Comment


      • #4
        Why reboot Silent Hill anyhow? I mean, the games are in their own continuity anyway. They could go for a new record, or something.

        Money grabbing, you know what!

        Comment


        • #5
          I was always entertained with the fact with the original 4 games, each odd game was the main story and the evens were spin offsso I would be interested to see a SH5 that continued the main story of Silent Hill.
          Masahiro Ito, the background and creature designer of the original 4 stated that he wants to join in with Hideo Kojima in a new SH. Also the director or SH3 is already within Kojima productions. All we need is for them to beg Akira Yamaoka back and we got a game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Unfortunately, the golden era is dead. Hoping won't matter any longer.

            I thought Downpour was actually really decent, but still flawed in other ways.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NEOMEGA View Post
              I was always entertained with the fact with the original 4 games, each odd game was the main story and the evens were spin offsso I would be interested to see a SH5 that continued the main story of Silent Hill.
              That actually continued. Origins (the fifth game) related to the original game, Homecoming (the sixth) was a spinoff story, Shattered Memories (seven) again dealt with the first game and Downpour (eight) was once again a spinoff game.



              Originally posted by BSAA . Org View Post
              Unfortunately, the golden era is dead. Hoping won't matter any longer.

              I thought Downpour was actually really decent, but still flawed in other ways.
              The last two games (Downpour and Shattered Memories) are actually my favorite in the series.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wouldn't want them to reboot SH series .. much like if they rebooted Resident Evil - all the rich history plotline throughout the series's early years would be lost and rewritten.

                Tomb Raider recently did this - and I kinda hated having to 'forget' everything in the ''past'' as if it never happened


                At least, just take the series down a different path, without scrapping the entire thing and starting again - or at least, start again, but keep the past intact (kinda like remakes i guess)
                "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah. I think the fifth Alone in the Dark was a reboot, but I thought The New Nightmare was too good not to receive a proper sequel. But of course, things all changed after Resident Evil 4 was released. Basically, every horror gaming franchise wanted to be that game.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X