X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsteroidBlues
    replied
    Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    "Good" would be an understatement. Watch it.
    Aye-aye, Captain. XD

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
    I don't watch a lot of anime, but I'm coming around. I've taken a real liking to 'Death Note' and the cat-and-mouse approach the story has to offer...
    I've halfheartedly watched a couple of episodes (Was doing work at the time), but never had a chance to really get the gist of the story. What's it about?

Leave a comment:

• Smiley
    replied
    My brother had me watch it. Roberta has got to be one of the best characters ever to steal a scene in anime.

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I'm coming around. I've taken a real liking to 'Death Note' and the cat-and-mouse approach the story has to offer. Makes me want to read the manga.

For comedy I love the sitcom antics of Ranma 1/2.

Leave a comment:

• News Bot
    replied
    I've heard a lot about that series. Is it any good?
    "Good" would be an understatement. Watch it.

Leave a comment:

• AsteroidBlues
    replied
    Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
    Just to whet your appetite and inspire you to watch it all over again. Anime doesn't get much better than this....

Helicopter scene from GitS-SAC Episode 4: Natural EnemySong is Cyberbird by Yoko Kanno

Yoko Kanno is anime's best ever composer also. Staggeringly talented.
    I have damn near all the soundtracks from GitS and Cowboy Bebop. XD Yoko Kanno is possibly the best musical talent in the business.

Leave a comment:

• [STARS]TyranT
    replied
    Just to whet your appetite and inspire you to watch it all over again. Anime doesn't get much better than this....

Helicopter scene from GitS-SAC Episode 4: Natural EnemySong is Cyberbird by Yoko Kanno

Yoko Kanno is anime's best ever composer also. Staggeringly talented.
    Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AsteroidBlues
    replied
    Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
    Am at work so only brief, but rewatched all of Stand Alone Complex, and without doubt, best anime ever.
    Yes. Yes it is. You really get the feeling that Masamune and the S.A.C.C really took care when crafting the stories, not to mention badass female lead characters are almost universally awesome.

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
    Let's not forget AD Police!

I'm rather fond of cyberpunk anime of the 80's and 90's, e.g. Akira, GitS, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, AD Police, etc. Yeah, I like a lot of Masamune Shirow's work too. Also, notable mentions for Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, NGE, Lupin III, Wolf's Rain, and I can't talk about anime without mentioning Excel Saga.

Man, Excel Saga.
    Lupin The Third. Yes. XD I haven't run into another Lupin fan in ages.

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    I'll just leave this here.

I've heard a lot about that series. Is it any good?

Also, if anybody wants to see what Production I.G. and Gainax's work looks like when the staff is on crack, you have to watch Fooly Cooly. XD Awesome music with a story that, let's face it, hardly makes sense.
    Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• News Bot
    replied
    I'll just leave this here.

Leave a comment:

• Dracarys
    replied
    Seen a lot of the recommended but will check out the others. Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Spencer
    replied
    Let's not forget AD Police!

I'm rather fond of cyberpunk anime of the 80's and 90's, e.g. Akira, GitS, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, AD Police, etc. Yeah, I like a lot of Masamune Shirow's work too. Also, notable mentions for Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, NGE, Lupin III, Wolf's Rain, and I can't talk about anime without mentioning Excel Saga.

Man, Excel Saga.
    Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• [STARS]TyranT
    replied
    Am at work so only brief, but rewatched all of Stand Alone Complex, and without doubt, best anime ever.

Leave a comment:

• JcFFx
    replied
    I was an anime fan in high school, but I've started drifting away from that since starting university.
    Since second or third year I haven't really had any incentive to explore anything new...

It's also been pretty discouraging, because of the 6 mangas left that I still enjoyed by second year:
    - 3 had ridiculously shitty endings
    - 2 go on year-long hiatuses... Regularly.

Fullmetal Alchemist ended well IMO, so no complaints there.

Leave a comment:

• Darkmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
    Everything I find cheap ends up being crap usually, anime too expensive these days to buy at normal prices in hope of something good. I curse everyone who jumped on the anime bandwagon of the internet. In the 80s and early 90s is was so unpopular they needed sell it cheap or not at all. I have a loathing for unfinished stories also like Dark and so many anime series get made based on unfinshed stuff, never to get resumed.

Someone recommend stuff please, any genre, old stuff or new, serious or stupid, just something with a finished story (or at least, a finished arc story and no cliffhanger).
    Let's see...

Fate/Stay Night - based on a hentai game that I also recommend (if you can find it in this country and don't mind smut...there is a censored version too, somewhere) this is a pretty unique series. No cliff hangers, although some story elements from the game are missing. Opening One - Disillusion - Opening 2 - Kirameku Namida wa Hoshi ni (Glittering Tears Change to Stars

Ghost in the Shell - All of it. There are two separate storylines - the movie and it's sequel (Innocence), and the two 26 episode animes (with a movie of it's own, Solid State Society). I think most people have at least seen the origional movie, and if you haven't seen the rest I do recommend it. Opening 1 - Inner Universe - Opening 2 - Rise

Love Hina - Harem comedy. Silly, but romantic and amusing. You do have to hunt down the three additional bits and pieces if you want to get the actual ending, however - the anime doesn't have it. Opening 1 - Sakura Saku

Escaflowne - Big robot anime with a mystical touch, so swords and sorcery and robots the size of houses. Pretty cool. Ending is a touch on the 'meh' side.
    Opening - I don't need promises - UK Opening

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Great anime - storyline is laced with crack. Seriously, I don't think anyone full understands what the fuck is going on. On the other hand, it's pretty damned awesome. Just...weird. Opening - Cruel Angels Thesis

Hellsing - You may wish to wait until new anime is complete, which matches the manga - the current 13 episode anime splits off and has a slightly odd ending. It also has a plot point unanswered and a slight cliff hanger to the ending, but it's a cliff hanger that felt about right. Opening - The World Without Logos

Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
    Sometimes I think that Sailor Moon is the ONLY reason we have female anime fans from the 80'-90's generation. XD Which is a great thing if I do say so myself.
    I got introduced to anime via Sailor Moon (In German). I even have it all on DVD somewhere now, so my girls can watch it.

Leave a comment:

• AsteroidBlues
    replied
    Originally posted by Inferno04 View Post
    Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are kind of the first triad of Adult Swim greats. I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho too, but Inuyasha is a good example of why people who hate anime, do hate it. It's shit.

I also loved Sailor Moon as a kid. Still do. =)
    Sometimes I think that Sailor Moon is the ONLY reason we have female anime fans from the 80'-90's generation. XD Which is a great thing if I do say so myself.

Leave a comment:

• Inferno04
    replied
    Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are kind of the first triad of Adult Swim greats. I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho too, but Inuyasha is a good example of why people who hate anime, do hate it. It's shit.

I also loved Sailor Moon as a kid. Still do. =)

Leave a comment:

• AsteroidBlues
    replied
    Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
    Everything I find cheap ends up being crap usually, anime too expensive these days to buy at normal prices in hope of something good. I curse everyone who jumped on the anime bandwagon of the internet. In the 80s and early 90s is was so unpopular they needed sell it cheap or not at all. I have a loathing for unfinished stories also like Dark and so many anime series get made based on unfinshed stuff, never to get resumed.

Someone recommend stuff please, any genre, old stuff or new, serious or stupid, just something with a finished story (or at least, a finished arc story and no cliffhanger).
    I'll just insert a few of my favorites and let you decide. (If you've already watched these, kudos to you)

As the great Mr. Spencer said, Ghost in the Shell is a pretty damn good series if you don't mind REALLY paying attention to each episode, as the story tends to have many plots and sub plots you have to follow.

If you're looking to watch a true CLASSIC, you cannot go wrong with Cowboy Bebop (love it so much, it originally birthed my THIA namesake). It ties itself up in 26 episodes and a pretty good movie and it's just about as great a series as you can find. Of course, I say that it ties itself up at the end. Other fans seem to disagree (because they're bawwing at the end.)

If you're into something a little more quirky, I always enjoyed Trigun. It came out in that great year that saw the release of greats like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. It, too, wraps itself up in 26 episodes and it's pretty good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X