Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cool 1.5 exclusive screenshots (**As seen on TV!**)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• btw, why is everything so quiet? I hope The Team is working on stuff. Would like to know/see more. Why I never get a chance to ask a unique question about their project... ?
    ja i am made of dur butter and you are worth 2k monies

Comment

• I'm not gonna jump in on your little discussion there, but don't kill eachother.

OK... I can't not chime in;

In general, you have several approaches to things when translating something - but usually you can boil it all down to the concepts of two different approaches; "liberal" and "literal".

Liberal is what you'd usually do for fiction. Stuff that usually requires extensive rewrites to communicate a message properly, due to linguistical limitations and/or cultural differences, all in order to ensure that the reader experiences the same type of experience the source material set out to communicate. Liberal translations are usually the same was what you'd call a "localization" and should not be mistaken for "making shit up as you go" or poor/inconsistant translations ('cause you're more likely to find that amongst "literal" approaches, as a literal approach is more often than liberal ones the testament of someone who's not gifted in the way of words.)

Literal is what you'd usually do for non-fiction. Stuff that usually requires faithful translations, usually with annotations, comments, and extra instructions, in order to ensure that the reader may understand the very message that was originally communicated. Think of it like a mathematical formula, but for a written piece of foreign language instead. How literal something needs to be varies. The tricky thing with literal approaches is how you, as a translator, approach terminology and concepts that are completely absent from your target language. A literal approach should not be confused with what someone would call a poor translation or a babelfish-esqu approach where the syntax of the source language is often maintained and so forth.

Also, in most cases, for anyone experienced with translations, you usually estimate the translated text (as a rule of thumb) will take up as much as up to a whole 30% more text space than the original source material did - depending on the approach, the time given, your experience with languages, and the style you're setting out to use for the presentation of the translation.

[edit]
      And, right, then there's "skimming the fat" - this happens in all forms - sometimes it's a result of someone's limitation as a translator, sometime's it's a decision you make to save space or save the reader from boredom (or just to deliberately withhold information)
      Last edited by Carnivol; 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM. Reason: BOSS

Comment

• I myself am always caught in the middle of a tug-of-war battle between "literal" and "liberal" methods (I actually refer to "liberal" as "natural"). My translations represent an attempt at striking a compromise.

(P.S. for those of you who haven't yet seen, I have just today deciphered and translated every single publicly available BH1.5 subtitle in the "Various Translations" thread)
        Last edited by Enigmatism415; 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• will liberal translations try to take my guns?
          In all seriousness, I'm so nervous about what the esteemed Mr.BZork has planned

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
            Nope. BH3 was made by a completely different team, quite a lot of them students. The faster zombies were added to increase the threat they posed, since they also increased Jill's ability to defend herself.
            That seems to make sense. When did the development for BioHazard 3 began?

BioHazard YouTube Channel
            BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

• I'm with you, Carnivol. Personally I've always drawn a distinction between "translation" and "transliteration" (or "adaptation," if you prefer) For me, the first is a straightforward, no-frills rendering from one language to another, while the second is a conscious effort to both render the text AND adapt the ideas/concepts behind it across cultures, as well as trying to maintain context within the work in question. That may not be the dictionary definition, but it works for me - and I've always personally preferred the later. A lot tends to get lost in a straightforward or "raw" translation, and being too literal means you tend to lose the context (most modern translation software, for instance) - both in the text and (in the case of manga/anime) within the culture. What's the best call for the translator? You tell me.

You know, I myself have worked with some manga transliterations in recent years, and I've probably watched way too many badly translated anime fansubs (and even fandubs) over the past three decades. And what about all those famous game translation goofs - or even the (often hilarious) badly translated ones? I know a lot of you out there can relate to that. I don't envy you translators one bit - it's one helluva job. Not to mention that different people will translate - or even transliterate - different ways. What do you need to do in order to best get the point of the original text across?

I guess, in the end, it depends on how your perceive your intended audience and want the majority of them want or need. As I said earlier, I don't envy anybody who translates. Theirs is a tough job, and most people don't know just how tough it is. That's why I don't criticize translators. I may not agree with the way one guy or gal did it as opposed to another, but I can relate to how they got there. That's why I personally don't tend to pick nits about translations. As long as it gets the basic idea across, and at least something of the context (either of the work or the culture, preferably both), then I can live with it. Then again, maybe that's my years talking.
              Last edited by RMandel; 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM.
              Do you know where I can find the final build of Resident Evil 1.5?
              Please contact me if so! re15finalbuild@gmail.com

Comment

• I've always tried to strike a balance. Scientific stuff would tend to be more literal while everything else is pretty standard. There's not a lot of culture-specific aspects in anything related to BIOHAZARD and the writing itself is pretty simplistic since they were written with a generally younger audience in mind. Plus, as I'm never under any deadlines with translations right now, that gives me the liberty to revise later, which is pretty handy when you're still learning. I rarely ever have the need to abbreviate.

There is no point in trying to get an "accurate" translation if you're not actually going to translate everything. The point is to get a fairly 1:1 translation of the source material (not whether it's literal or liberal, only that all the information is fully conveyed one way or another), especially if you're supposedly trying to create an archive of source material. Quite a lot of "new" information we've found recently is information that was skipped, missed or mistranslated in translations made several years ago, and that is unacceptable.

Abbreviation in translation isn't a problem either, but when you've actually cut out information rather than "fat" (excess or unnecessary words) then you've absolutely failed at translation. Rule of thumb in writing and editing is if you can make it shorter; do. The same applies to translation, but not when you abandon information or rephrase things in a way that conveys a completely different meaning from the source.
                Last edited by News Bot; 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Everything always gets to a huge discussion sick and tired of it!
                  Choosing the main cast is absolutely awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                    Wow ...was I the only person to have bought Tips & Tricks magazines?! Every one of those scans (covers excluded) came from me, ages ago...

I noticed an error, however - the 'Akuma in Resident Evil 2' cheat was an April Fools joke by GamePro(?), not Tips & Tricks. ;P Also, it's the only one that I didn't scan.
                    I have a ton of tips & tricks, i also have the issue with the akuma april fools joke. Should i see if i can find it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by drunkdog View Post
                      I have a ton of tips & tricks, i also have the issue with the akuma april fools joke. Should i see if i can find it ?
                      EGM2 magazine had the April fool's Akuma joke.

With an April fool's joke, EGM (Electronic Monthly Gaming) unintentionally launched the creation of Akuma (Gouki) in the Street Fighter Se...

Not sure if Tips & Tricks had one as well
                      Last edited by Original Sin; 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM.
                      Tired of Stupid... sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred View Post
                        Everything always gets to a huge discussion sick and tired of it!
                        Welcome to the club. xD Don't fret about it too much, though. Soon 1.5 will (probably) be in the hands of the discussing masses, then there will be peace in the land... For a time. Then, after a while, people will begin pursuing 3.5- and I mean everybody. Even people who hate the shit out of all the games post RE:CV will be mad with the RE3.5 fever. They'll do it simply because there won't be anything left for the community to strive for except 3.5 and its many iterations. With the way Capcom (and the industry in general) approaches game development these days, 3.5 will probably be the last "phantom build" in the RE series. When it is finally unearthed... it will be a sad day for the community. All hope will be lost, and all that will be left is patience.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
                          Welcome to the club. xD Don't fret about it too much, though. Soon 1.5 will (probably) be in the hands of the discussing masses, then there will be peace in the land... For a time. Then, after a while, people will begin pursuing 3.5- and I mean everybody. Even people who hate the shit out of all the games post RE:CV will be mad with the RE3.5 fever. They'll do it simply because there won't be anything left for the community to strive for except 3.5 and its many iterations. With the way Capcom (and the industry in general) approaches game development these days, 3.5 will probably be the last "phantom build" in the RE series. When it is finally unearthed... it will be a sad day for the community. All hope will be lost, and all that will be left is patience.
                          Most know 3.5 was a barely playable demo, with three or four variations of holy hell code. We will just start to strive for the 80% bioflames build with voice acting and the most complete assets.

Comment

• Originally posted by drunkdog View Post
                            Please do. Could you check if you have #37, #49 and #58? And also check what magazines have BH info and which ones not?

Originally posted by Original Sin View Post
                            EGM2 magazine had the April fool's Akuma joke.

With an April fool's joke, EGM (Electronic Monthly Gaming) unintentionally launched the creation of Akuma (Gouki) in the Street Fighter Se...

Not sure if Tips & Tricks had one as well
                            So it was EGM? Thanks Original Sin! I'll see if I can get the April Issues of both EGM and EGM2 to confirm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkness View Post
                              Most know 3.5 was a barely playable demo, with three or four variations of holy hell code. We will just start to strive for the 80% bioflames build with voice acting and the most complete assets.
                              Yeah, the final build will definitely be the next topic of heated discussion. The videos of BH3.5 were enough for me; it's probably about as complete as BH1.5 Alpha anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                                Yeah, the final build will definitely be the next topic of heated discussion. The videos of BH3.5 were enough for me; it's probably about as complete as BH1.5 Alpha anyway...
                                I don't like bursting bubbles of hope, but the "Castle" version was never played by anyone other than CAPCOM themselves who have likely erased it. The "Hallucination" version also didn't get very far into development and was scrapped with only a few areas, and again wasn't played by anyone besides CAPCOM. There's literally no chance of any of the scrapped versions of BH4 surfacing.
                                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
                                X