No announcement yet.

Banned Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, among the issues revolving round MissV (and as Carn mentioned, I can't actually cover them all in a single post) was;

- Derailing threads.
    - Ignoring moderator instructions at least three times.
    - A lot of insults and arguments being started that had her at there centre.
    - A level of abuse set at certain members of the fourm.

There's more, lots more, but this has been comming for a while. And before he starts telling everyone about the evils of Alexia, it was me who brought up the suggestion she should be banned, listed the reasons, and argued for it. And it was Carn who banned him.

Comment

• Would explain why Biohaze just picked up a "V For Valentine" then.

Comment

• Oh dear. Pood Yama.

Comment

• Okay.

So just thought anyone who'd care should know this (post of blog-ish proportions coming up);

Member_of_STARS is banned again. This time, I'm hoping it's for good and that none of the co-staff will be able to "vouch for him" or "talk us out of keeping it permanent".

Here's the "deal";

Last year, Member_of_STARS felt it absolutely necessary to be nothing but an annoyance to staff. Having a total problem with anyone who's had a bit of authority on the forums (you can see some of this on the forums, but a good portion of it was also done through PM + replies to his warning and infraction notifications). The decision was made to permaban him back then.

However, as with most people who have been permabanned around here, he too evt. got a second chance (which he probably never even asked for. At least no one "vouched for him" or "requested an unban for him" back then). This was when a certain other site went through a redesign (which was met with various reception by its senior members). So I made the call to unban a good few people, Member_of_STARS included. This was entirely done against the wishes of a good few members of the site staff, and I did it entirely to let some "now homeless" (forum wise) people back in, as I didn't know whether or not they had somewhere else to go.

*fast forward a little bit and we're closer to present*

For most of the time, I've just decided to ignore a lot of his posts, and the people who're doing most of the moderation on the forums have been doing a fantastic job with keeping an eye on people. Unfortunately, we've had a few rough bumps on the road too (as some might have noticed, James hasn't been that much around lately)

Half-a-week ago, Alexia asked me about something she'd observed; Why Member_of_STARS had a lower amount of open slots for piling up infractions in before getting banned (we can add infractions without giving them a decay time, thus lowering the general amount of temporary infractions needed to trigger a ban. These will probably start appearing more and more in the future, as way too many people "get off" with just a warning, thus their active infractions will never reach the ban point, unless the infractions get an increased decay time or the total amount is lowered... This isn't so people can easier "get a ban", but to more or less make people realize that getting banned IS possible via infractions, without first having to have a bad day where you spam the forums with insults or something)

Anyway, during this convo with Alexia, she reminded me of why the guy was banned in the first place, and she also helped bringing to my attention a good few nitpicky-ish things he'd done recently that no one really bothered to hand out infractions and/or warnings for (such as this. FYI; pre-edit, that post was just a "". Talk about going against the stream...), she also made a good few comparisons between him and other forum members. One of these whom was a person that was already banned, and another being someone who just recently got banned. Without mentioning names, let's just say she compared him to people who were already "out" and/or already on thin ice.

Skip a day forward, with all of that fresh in mind, a somewhat stupid discussion spawned between me and Member_of_STARS. Him apparently firmly believing Starcraft "did it all" (11~12 years ago), and he more or less came off as if saying suggesting otherwise was an insult to Starcraft or something. The subject went from elaborating on a few points and some simple samples of things, to other people asking why he keeps on going and bringing up completely irrelevant counter arguments. Now, it should be said that I sometimes enjoy a good long post that can be torn to pieces, but the moment something repeats itself... the fun wears off

Anyway, maybe I just jumped a bit quickly on the trigger, but I did tell him not to reply unless he had proper samples to give and such... which he of course didn't... so, as I realized the subject was going nowhere... I decided to re-ban him instead of killing the topic and ignoring the subject.

Since someone on staff disagreed with the decision, his ban was made a temp ban at their request. So he was banned just for the weekend. Now, freshly back from being scraped off of the ban hammer and brought back to life, barely seconds before the mighty bannon is done having his way with MissValentine, history repeats...

Let's have a look at two samples I recently dug up from last time he was banned;

Originally posted by Member_of_STARS
          What was that infraction for? People have told me you knew the industry inside out, and instead of correcting me where Im wrong, Im left with correcting you. And then youre handing me an infraction for annoying you? You, in particular, because YOURE acting like a know-it-all and I dont see people minding that.

So arent you taking your administrator position a little more personally than you should? I mean, if you cant end an argument with facts and a well argumented post, without changing topics and jumping from every argument that has been disproved, why bother replying? Just hand out an infraction with an "STFU!" mark and leave it at that.

Grow up, seriously. I took those 3 days of ban as a hint and backed off. It amazes me that it has never been about me being... "offensive". Its just you being a sore loser. Its the internet, chill out.

Regards,
          Mmeber_of_STARS
          People who know me must find that opening line funny. People who followed the Halo Wars topic might find both the first and the mid-section funny. People who're still reading this might also find the last bit funny.

Let's look at how history repeats; He's fresh off a 3 day ban here (by the way, this PM had a subject name of "Hey, what´s up bro!";

I was really considering replying to your "hidden message" in the "Banned" topic, but I would probably just piss off the people who were responsible for getting me unbanned.

I wonder how is it possible that your incompetence and arrogance has been shrugged under a carpet.

Regards,
          Member_of_STARS

So, before ending this, I present to you the Crown Jewel of my PM collection! The very reply I once got from him when he was given an infraction for a post he made after Dot50Cal told him to drop something.

Sorry for coming back to you so late on this one.
          Im sure wherever you celebrated your New Years Eve, there was no electricity, no internet and you had to do work.

But please do behave around the boards.
          I did. Up until that part where I was given an infraction for "acting like a know it all".

Don't armchair mod the forums.
          You do understand what the term "armchair" means, right? So how is that youre using the term to insult me, even though youre the "armchair cop" right now?

Don't tell staff to "calm the fuck down" and such, especially not like that.
          Indeed. I get insulted and people tell me "dont do dat!". Coming from you. Instant classic.

If you disagree about something; take it in the comments and suggestions forums and/or either PM the mods or report the post (yes, you can even report posts written by staff)
          I did. I got an infraction.

Seriously, Carnivol, youre an tool.

Regards,
          Member_of_STARS
          Last edited by Carnivol; 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
            Would explain why Biohaze just picked up a "V For Valentine" then.
            My deepest sympathies.

I better get my faceguard on, if it's him I bet he's ready for a round of Alexia bashing.

And DM, whach'ya talkin' about? It's all my fault he was banned. I'm evil Alexia, I sit in a dark corner of my room plotting which THIA member's brain to chomp on next. And I know you live less than 45 minutes away from me.....

Edit: Someone just registered on Biohaze called "missv_is_a_douche". If that's anyone from here after reading that he's signed up there, it's his business to do what he likes on Biohaze and we shouldn't be giving him stick on another forum. Makes us look bad.
            Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Well, yes. I do live 45 minutes away from you. On the flip side of this...you live 45 minutes away from me. Who should be more afraid?

Comment

• Depending on your preemptive measures and the circumstances; whichever one is the closest to the airport has the (dis)advantage.

Comment

• Well thanks for clearing that up, longer explanation than I expected but thanks. You guys and girls seem to have to deal with a lot of shit but I thank you for keeping the forums running smooth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                    Edit: Someone just registered on Biohaze called "missv_is_a_douche". If that's anyone from here after reading that he's signed up there, it's his business to do what he likes on Biohaze and we shouldn't be giving him stick on another forum. Makes us look bad.
                    I'm really intrigued by this. Everyone knows I didn't like the guy, but everyone should also know I didn't want him here anymore -- along with many others -- so why join another site just to provoke him, a day after he finally gets perma-banned?

Comment

• For weeks now I've thought it pretty obvious it was a troll (granted, I never go in the Jill Valentine thread. Probably why it took me so long to realise), but I'd never seen him break a hard and fast rule that I could report.
                      I'm glad to see that mods can get a gist of what a person's like, and if they're a disruptive tool, then ban them.
                      sigpic

Comment

• He broke several rules...ignoring a mod's instructions, insulting people - but they've only come close enough together in the last few weeks for him to wrack up issues fast enough to earn a ban. Hence why in the future certain long time problem causers are going to get infractions that take anywhere between six months and never to vanish. So we don't have a repeat of the long term issues MissV was able to cause thanks to getting around our system.

Comment

• I thought MissV was a pretty cool guy(?). I guess I just don't read enough posts around here to really know what goes on. I really had no problem with him, so I can't really decipher any reasons for him getting banned. Though like I said, I just probably haven't been keeping up to date.

Comment

• What needs deciphering? There's a monstrously big post on the last page haha

Comment

• Hay Guise!

Can you please stop banning me for no reason? It's getting rather annoying.

K thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proskept'sMarch View Post
                                Hay Guise!

Can you please stop banning me for no reason? It's getting rather annoying.

K thanks.
                                Congratulations, you are qualified for an all-expenses paid permanent vacation away from THIA. Bon voyage.
                                Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X