No announcement yet.

Capcom; Resident Evil 7 will Return to Survival Horror roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how I would feel about a reboot to be quite honest. Not to say its a bad idea, but I'm actually curious about Alex Wesker. I do agree that they need to do away with the whole "apocalypse" thing, and definitely stop this BSAA thing where they're throwing legions of armed soldiers out there every game. It's not scary at all. I don't want to feel like I'm watching Top Gun (or whatever cheesy action title you feel applies better) when I play a survival horror game. The same thing applies to co-op. I don't mind if they create side content or spin offs featuring co-op, but I'd appreciate it if they kept it out of the main game. It detracts from the experience more than it does to enhance it.

In regards to main characters, I would like them to introduce some new ones but I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't care if Claire never came back. She's the only one who I could find relatable still (except for her CV intro). But the series really does need it. The closed off nature of the first two games played a large part of its atmosphere.

The one thing I'd really love to come back that I know never will is the synthesized ambient soundtrack. I hear a huge difference between the first three RE titles and the second three. The music alone should inspire fear, and once applied to the rest of the game it becomes terrifying. This is where RE2 excelled.

Also, this may not be popular with most folks but I'd love to see the return of fixed camera angles but with smoother transitions. They gave the classics so much life and character, and I always enjoyed the suspense of hearing enemies off in the distance. I've never understood why people would always complain about the controls and camera with every release. Do people think that their is only one proper setup for controls? Sadly, Capcom is probably too scared to bring back fixed camera in a gaming world where if the game doesn't tell you where to go it gets bad reviews for being "too frustrating". I can't imagine what would happen if you had to check a map, do guess work, and figure out where to go next instead of the mind-numbing linearity of RE5 and 6.

Capcom has to decide if it's going to play it safe with RE7 or take risks to bring it back to horror. Lets hope they take risks and create a great game.
    Last edited by Graco; 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM.
    sigpic
    "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Fixed angles did kind of make a return...but not in the way we wanted :/
      Click image for larger version

Name:	5075da2025753.preview-620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	403216

These sequences irritated the fuck out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
        Great post, Wrathborne.

I think players really got all the company had to offer, as presented by series writers. The BOWs, scientists, crazed power seekers, politicians and so on. The latter is the boring part... after all, I couldn't imagine Chris or Leon running into a crowded office space, shooting everyone wearing a suit and tie during a business conference. Those people were presumably dealt justice when the company tanked, with the unveiling of all their wrongdoings. Furthermore, it wouldn't be interesting or viable to rid the world of a deluded old-man in a wheelchair, who happened to have god complex (Spencer).

I believe the real problem is that most players, myself included at one point, had some sort of idea that the company's "core" was a singular location that would be brought to and end by said player. Hence why I believe so many were disappointed when Bio4 revealed that Umbrella no longer existed.

The company's fate isn't without a true sense of irony, however... I think of Umbrella as a virus. It will continue to live on, and I don't think players have seen or heard the last of it (unless they choose to ignore all future titles).

That said, I partially agree with you - to me, the company died with Wesker, but only in the sense that he was all that was left of the original evil. No secondary or overused/overhyped 'main' character, plot and/or location can recapture that. If anything, it makes the overall series the butt of a cosmic joke, a cartoon of itself... which brings me to my own recommendations for redemption:

1 - No AI partnership - Secondary characters that follow the player around obviously destroy the feeling of both isolation and desperation, and generally make things easier. This is not survival horror. Additionally, the spoken dialogue is just distracting, flat-out annoying and unfitting. No, I don't give two squirts of piss that Jessica wants rewarded with a lobster dinner, due to her lackluster efforts while taking a hunter's claw to the face. And then, there's the issue of programming AI that actually works as intended. Sheva, anyone? General overuse, as well - Two people to open a door? -_-

2 - New musical artists - nothing against techno/dubstep, but it simply doesn't fit into a survival horror setting. Original titles had music that presented true tension and dread. And nothing grandiose, either - Bio5 was very nice, in it's own right, but outrageously overbaked. An entire orchestra? Keep it simple, stupid!

3 - No apocalypse setting - It was obvious from 'the days' of Bio4 that this is where the series is headed. The problem is that it isn't an original idea, and grossly overused by many other games and movie plots. No matter how many bad guys get taken out, the next title just keeps expanding upon this boring concept that the world is going to end and our cliche characters are going to save it. Last time I checked, these games aren't produced by Holy Wood. Cut the bullshit, CAPCOM.

4 - New protagonists and antagonists - Jill, Chris, Leon, Ada, Wesker and Claire have had way more than enough of their fair share. I, like many others, simply do not care about these people, anymore. Their 15 minutes are long gone, and it's way past time for some true freshness. And no, Jake and Sherry don't count. "lolz, my daddy is Wesker" isn't enough to make people care.

5 - Tone down the 'sexy' - Whoever created and rendered that pant-less DLC character for Revelations puts the stereotype of "virgin nerd" to utter shame. Grow up!

6 - ...ah fuck it, just reboot the damn thing, already.
        Mark I agree with you on everything but I partially agree with you on the characters. Yes, There should be a new lineup of main caharacters, No I don't think Chris and the gang should be gone entirely. They should be reduced to either cameos or minor roles.Thats my 2 cents anyways.
        sigpic
        www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

I'll see your two cents with my two cents, together we almost have a nickel!

Comment

Bring back Umbrella - or a new form of it at least. (Not Neo-Umbrella rule the world crap though)
            RE5 had a nice idea with Tricell - but it wasn't on the same scale. I did like however the Umbrella references to the line of ships in Revelations (Yeah, the ships were designed by George Trevor and were originally used by Umbrella - hence the labs - ingame files state this (in italian for Umbrella mind)

Sure it'll never be on the same scale as RE1-3 in Raccoon City but what else can they do?

All these comments about Claire though - she hasn't been in that many core games (not counting spin offs) Leon, Chris and Ada need a break though.
            Playing as Jill was nice as in 5 she didn't get a big enough part IMO..

Who else thought playing as a girl upped the horror - did for me .. it's classic japanese horror at it's best. Not bein sexist, women can handle themselves just fine, but that's how I feel. Always played as Jill and Claire first before Leon and Chris when I was little heehe
            "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
              Mark I agree with you on everything but I partially agree with you on the characters. Yes, There should be a new lineup of main caharacters, No I don't think Chris and the gang should be gone entirely. They should be reduced to either cameos or minor roles.Thats my 2 cents anyways.
              Chris could contact you during your mission via codec like Campbell, while Rebecca would be a Para-medic type character lol....just kidding, kind of.

I've been saying this since RE5, they need fresh blood for sure, but it would be nice to throw in a cameo or move the classic characters to a supporting position. If they absolutely must continue in the same path with RE7, they need to sit Chris and Leon out for this one, the ideas and directions for both characters are tired and it shows.
              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

really???? I already heard about it before the release of RE6....

Comment

I was talking with a few friends about this, and we kind of agreed that Capcom just has to go back to their old gaming. Everyone always loved the old games, and their puzzles weren't all sunshine and rainbows like the on the last few games (if you can call them puzzles). Even though I loved RE6, I just really miss having a hard time solving all the mysteries and puzzles and stuff, and the awesome story line, and the fact that we could never predict what Umbrella was really up to. Their plot twists were one of the best things on the game, and now it's all so damn predictable...
                  I can't really say I'm looking forward to RE7, I just hope things don't go downhill...
                  Last edited by cyndercute; 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I think that a reboot would be best.

Bring back Raccoon City and the mansion. Set all new characters in the mansion with STARS members.

How would I do it?

Gameplay: Fully 3D rendered environments, with the option of either pre determined camera angles or behind the back cam.
                    Length: At least as long as Resident Evil 4.
                    Theme: Surrounded, Scary, Maze.
                    Locations: Spencer Estate Mansion, Training Facility, Underground Lab.
                    Characters:

Protagonists:

James Troy - 25 year old member of S.T.A.R.S.
                    Amanda Little - 23 year old member of S.T.A.R.S.

Supporting:
                    Tyler Shad - 18 Year old rookie member of S.T.A.R.S, recruited at a young age due to unbelievable talent with guns. James partner character.*
                    Tavil Johnson - 28 Year Old member of S.T.A.R.S. Amanda's partner character.*
                    Linda Jermane - 24 Year old member of S.T.A.R.S.
                    Colin Mcman - 34 Year old Chief of S.T.A.R.S.
                    Justin Mack - 20 year old umbrella researcher.
                    Brent Mcgiven - 15 year old boy who the team finds alone in the mansion hiding from monsters.

Monsters:
                    T-Virus zombie.
                    Zombie Dogs.
                    Hunter.
                    Hunter Gamma.
                    Crimson Head.
                    Licker.

Year set: 2015

Game Name: RE7 or simply RE

Platforms: PS4/One/PC/Wii U with optional lower res PS3/Vita/360/3DS ports.

*NO following partners and NO co-op! These partners would be similar to how Barry/Rebecca was to Jill and Chris in the original. They only show up and help sometimes. On some rare occurrences, you need to save them. A cool feature to add is that if you fail to save your partner, they are permanently dead, and that can change the game direction entirely, and add another theme to your character: Grief.
                    An example of this: James hears Tyler yell for help. James finds him trapped in a room full of Hunters. James needs to help Tyler. If tyler does not kill them in the time limit, Tyler will be decapitated, and james will grieve over his body, similar to how Chris will grieve over rebecca`s body in the original.
                    Last edited by VGBB; 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM.
                    Visit the Resident Evil 1.5 wiki and contribute to (Hopefully), a central zone for all 1.5 info.

Comment

^ haha Nice One! seriously though ... no.

Though I do agree no more co-op - RE1 was gonna have it and thank GOD Capcom omitted it later on!

I would love to see Rebecca and Barry make some sort of a comeback - even if it was as a side character (though non co-op, like older RE's)

They defo need to bring a new camera system back - maybe a hybrid or moving cameras (like Dino Crisis) and RE4 shooting (much like how RE4 Beta looked)
                      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Working...
                      X