Resident Evil Revelations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Revelations

Sorry I couldn't find the general topic for this game so I started this one. If I've missed it by all means merge it.

Anyway, also got a chance to play the latest demo of this today, and I thought it was actually pretty damned spectacular. It looks fantastic.

The whole mood and atmosphere of the game is very gloomy and dank. Ammo is a problem like many of the previews said but it wasn't too much of a problem, I still feel they give you too much. There was one moment where I was nigh on out of luck but thanks to a couple of grenades it was really simple. (It was against a rather stranger looking water monster thing - with huge blade like arms in a corridor that reminded me of CODE: Veronica some what. It was kinda like the corridor in Antarctica in the replica Spencer Mansion in the replica right angle corridor with the large tentacles that burst through).

The boat really feels like a mansion at times and indeed, the main hall/dining area even has the typical stairway layout from the Spencer Mansion, sans the central balcony. Had a brief go with the scanner and it's mainly used to just find hidden items, you can't scan everything you see like in Metroid Prime for example.

The demo ended with Jill rendevousing with Parker, and then the exact same scene where the red headed chap, I forget his name, holds up Jill.

All in all, it's a great, great demo. Unplugging a bath with murky water to find a screwdriver to unlock a door is a great fun, there's touch screen puzzles which remind me instantly of Deadly Silence, and the whole experience is more intune with how Lost In Nightmares felt, than anything else.

Really can't wait for this actually.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

It's a mixed bag for me. Whatever I like I immediately find something that I dislike.

So it goes like this.

New chapter in the series......taking place before RE5.
    Little ammo......charged up melee attacks.
    Back to viruses......little to no mention of zombies.

I like that this game is supposed to be puzzle heavy. That's something I look forward to. I just hope the bulk of them are creative and not purely nostalgia driven.

For a game claiming to go back to its roots it feels more like RE4 and RE5 as opposed to RE1 and RE2. We still have a over-the-shoulder shooter split up into chapters taking place in between RE4 and RE5. As you said it feels more like 'Lost in Nightmares'. But that was a nostalgia driven game trying to please classic fans with the new ones. Frankly I find the concept jarring when they design the game.

Comment

If the game dosent get ported to ps3 then i wont play it i will not buy a new 3ds just for 1 simple game then i rather watch it all on youtube.
      but i pray they port it to ps3 also alot more money in it for capcom.. and we know how capcom is about money
      just look how crazy they went with re 4 when it dident do good enough at first.

anyway im glad you liked the demo and yeah it does seems like a great great game.
      Last edited by rehunk88; 09-17-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I'm still unsure, even from the demo how the whole 'puzzling' aspect of the game will work out. If a puzzle will be essentially pick up key item and go to location, then it's no different to Resident Evil 4/5, and incredibly linear.

If it has wonderful backtracking and a huge hub area then it'll be great.

It will of course be like Resident Evil 4/5, I believe. There was also a very shit aspect in that, I knew one area I had to escape, yet I couldn't use the panel to activate the door to leave the room UNLESS the area was clear of enemies. So despite the fact that Capcom badger on about the ammo being restricted, it seems you can't actually progress until the enemies are dead, so in essense you can never, ever dodge combat. You literally had to kill everything you saw in the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
          I'm still unsure, even from the demo how the whole 'puzzling' aspect of the game will work out. If a puzzle will be essentially pick up key item and go to location, then it's no different to Resident Evil 4/5, and incredibly linear.

If it has wonderful backtracking and a huge hub area then it'll be great.

It will of course be like Resident Evil 4/5, I believe. There was also a very shit aspect in that, I knew one area I had to escape, yet I couldn't use the panel to activate the door to leave the room UNLESS the area was clear of enemies. So despite the fact that Capcom badger on about the ammo being restricted, it seems you can't actually progress until the enemies are dead, so in essense you can never, ever dodge combat. You literally had to kill everything you saw in the demo.
          okay a restriction from going on untill all enemies are dead i really hope thats only in the demo els thats gonna suck big time.
          Last edited by rehunk88; 09-17-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

...95% of the old games were just fetch quests, which is what you describe.

The RE series actually has very few puzzles and they are all very simple. Like in RE2, what is the hardest puzzle? The 5 power switches for the weapons room? The bookshelves? Other actual puzzles escape me, I think everything else was just fetching.
            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Aye, but even with fetching I liked the fact that in the earlier games there was always that option of having to backtrack and what not. Having keys that opened certain doors.etc.

In the over the shoulder Resident Evil's, the key item was already generally in the area the door it fit were. You were taken, via corridors to an area, where you needed to find the key item, and use it on the door to escape.

It's that kind of thing I feel Revelations will be, just a series of restricted doors while you fight enemies until you get the magical key item off of the last enemy you kill, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rehunk88 View Post
                If the game dosent get ported to ps3 then i wont play it i will not buy a new 3ds just for 1 simple game then i rather watch it all on youtube.
                That may work out for ya. But it's not always a good option.

Like I was recently watching some HD videos of CVX and RE4 from the Revival Selection, just to see what was new in them... and I just had to stop watching them. Cuz the guy that was playing them was incredibly useless. It was frustrating watching him play so bad. I couldn't finish watching them.

Y'know it's funny that you mention that Revelations should go to home consoles, because Kawata mentioned that Revelations actually didn't start as a handheld game.
                Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                  That may work out for ya. But it's not always a good option.

Like I was recently watching some HD videos of CVX and RE4 from the Revival Selection, just to see what was new in them... and I just had to stop watching them. Cuz the guy that was playing them was incredibly useless. It was frustrating watching him play so bad. I couldn't finish watching them.

Y'know it's funny that you mention that Revelations should go to home consoles, because Kawata mentioned that Revelations actually didn't start as a handheld game.
                  I know what you mean. Keeping with RE examples, the Nintendo World video of a guy playing Revelations at E3 was pretty bad. He didn't seem to understand the concept of running past enemies and that shooting creatures after they're dead is a stupid idea.

...Who knows if they'll port or not. Given the 3DS's lack of sales and how many people are going to refuse to buy one just for Revelations, they probably would port it. But they didn't port the REmake or Zero from Nintendo consoles onto something else... *shrugs* We'll have to wait and see.
                  Revelations has a plot with twists everywhere. Way to go, Capcom, you successfully pulled off a mind-screw plotline.

Comment

Aye, but even with fetching I liked the fact that in the earlier games there was always that option of having to backtrack and what not. Having keys that opened certain doors.etc.

In the over the shoulder Resident Evil's, the key item was already generally in the area the door it fit were. You were taken, via corridors to an area, where you needed to find the key item, and use it on the door to escape.

It's that kind of thing I feel Revelations will be, just a series of restricted doors while you fight enemies until you get the magical key item off of the last enemy you kill, or something like that.
                    makes me feel like god of war .. i dont like that ...

Comment

so in essense you can never, ever dodge combat.
                      That's a pretty big assumption considering you only played a brief demo. Maybe they changed it for the most recent demo, but every video I have seen so far of that particular demo shows you can run past the enemies to the next area without actually killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Four Eyes View Post
                        ...Who knows if they'll port or not. Given the 3DS's lack of sales and how many people are going to refuse to buy one just for Revelations, they probably would port it. But they didn't port the REmake or Zero from Nintendo consoles onto something else... *shrugs* We'll have to wait and see.
                        3DS sales have spiked quite a bit after the price cut. Its been showing up at the top of the hardware sales list ever since. Just in Japan, the 3DS now has Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken and Layton vs. Wright, among other top selling games that usually sell like crazy over there. Not to mention Pokemon which is exclusive to the handheld. I do think that the 3DS still needs to show that it can survive and thrive in the West. Where the competition is fierce (iPad/iPhone/tablets, etc.).

I think we might see Revelations for the Vita at some point. Depends if it takes off.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Its best if they port it to console and pc if they want to make the most of it.

Comment

You should write a letter to Capcom.

Comment

im sure 1000000000000000000 already did

and nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X