RPD Dispatch 1 - Playing RE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPD Dispatch 1 - Playing RE3

So myself and Spencer are going through Resident Evil 3 together, and I noticed some quirks. Firstly, I'm going through on hard difficulty on the Gamecube and I noticed that the auto-aim was set to off by default (or "manual" as its called). Is this like that when you select Hard?

Secondly..How do I dodge Nemesis!? Ugh! This is frustrating! It doesn't seem to want to work properly all the time. Is it a random chance of dodging only for him? Does anyone know?

Dodging is random. Even if you don't press buttons sometimes you still gonna dodge. Pressing aim button will dodge more.

Auto aim is on for me. There are 2 auto aims.
    1. For living creatures such as zombies, nemesis, ravens ect.
    2. For explosives such as explosive crates ect.

So i bet you pressed the button that aims to explosive crates and there was none around you, so you aimed to nothing ;)

Comment

Originally posted by VeronicaXlover View Post
      Dodging is random.
      It's not. I'm teaching a class ATM, but in a few hours I'll come back and explain it fully. Note however, that some attacks can not be dodged.
      sigpic

Comment

I have readen somewhere that it's random.. plus it looked like random to me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
          So myself and Spencer are going through Resident Evil 3 together, and I noticed some quirks. Firstly, I'm going through on hard difficulty on the Gamecube and I noticed that the auto-aim was set to off by default (or "manual" as its called). Is this like that when you select Hard?

Secondly..How do I dodge Nemesis!? Ugh! This is frustrating! It doesn't seem to want to work properly all the time. Is it a random chance of dodging only for him? Does anyone know?
          Note that Nemesis NEVER attacks with his right hand. Always his left, so stick to his right side and you've got a better chance at getting away from murder.

:]
          Last edited by Twist; 08-07-2008, 05:08 AM.

Comment

It SEEMS random, but it's actually not. Depending on what button combinations you pressed, Jill will sometimes dodge, and sometimes not. I have been holding just the Aim and Fire buttons, and Jill dodges Nemesis' attacks a lot.

Comment

And no, I wasn't hitting the other button for auto-aim. The Gamecube version by default in Hard Mode (haven't tried Easy yet) defaults to Aim being on MANUAL. Weird.

Gene, its good to know that some attacks can't be dodged. That might be what I was encountering. On a side note, whats the best weapon to take down Nemesis? I have ample supplies of all ammo, so let me know! Its great to be playing through the game in 480p forced via the Gamecube modchip I have. Thus far, I haven't encountered any errors at all. Not even where the aspect ratio is messed up.

Oh, one other thing. I started mixing some handgun rounds together (AA) and it created some "high damage" rounds. After doing this, my mind sort of recalls that if you mixed a lot of a certain type of gunpowder, you'd be able to create high damage rounds for that powder. Is that the case?
              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-07-2008, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                Oh, one other thing. I started mixing some handgun rounds together (AA) and it created some "high damage" rounds. After doing this, my mind sort of recalls that if you mixed a lot of a certain type of gunpowder, you'd be able to create high damage rounds for that powder. Is that the case?
                If you combine A with the the reload tool I think 8 times, you can make enhanced ammo. The same with B.

But if you mix AA or AAA or BB or BBB, it will NOT count towards making enhanced ammo. The enhanced ammo can't be used on the bonus handgun and shotgun that nemesis drops. Only the STARS samurai edge, and the Shotgun (Remington?)
                sigpic

Comment

That's funny, cause I had mixed two A's to make AA, and then when I combined it with the tool it created a 39 round enhanced ammo. Or do you mean when you combine A's, they don't count as more than one mixture taking place?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-07-2008, 06:04 AM.

Comment

You need to mix either A's or B's 7 times (not in a row, and they can be mixed with other same gunpowder types).

Comment

If you combine A with the reload tool you get 15, then again, 15. Once more, 15. The next time it's 17, then 17, then 19 then 19. I think all subsequent times you combine A with the reload tool you'll be asked if you want to make custom rounds. They are different from the rounds you find in the city. The same with the shotgun, I think it's 7/7/7/8/8/9/9/custom. ->

This only works for single As and Bs. AA, AAA, BB, BBB don't count towards the total of making custom rounds, so it's not really worth it making those.

What Helegad was saying is that you can get the custom rounds if you don't mix them in a row, so if you do A A A A B A B A A, you will still get the custom handgun rounds.
                      If you mix AAA, AAA, A, it'll only count as 1 towards making the customs, so avoid mixes.

EDIT: I re read your above posts, and I may be wrong about this, or it differs from version to version. I'll have to test it out I guess.

If you want to try out the enhanced ammo sooner, play the mercenaries. Save the girl in the newspaper office with Nicholai to get 60 enhanced handgun rounds. Save Carlos in the bar as Mikhail to get 21 (I think) enhanced shotgun shells.

Now dodging. It is not random. It isn't automatically activated. If you hold R1 and don't press fire infront of an enemy, they will hurt you EVERY time. That said, dodge will activate EVERY TIME providing your timing is right. There are some random elements to dodging too. If you dodge, a zombie might not fall over. I've consistently dodged the same 2 zombies for 40 seconds (in Lonsdale yard in the mercs), and they didn't fall over. It ruined my run, so I restared.

Dodging works like this. If you attack an enemy as they attack you, your character will dodge their attack. If your gun is raised, then you attack when you press A (Gamecube yes). However, if the enemy attacks you while you're raising your weapon, you can also dodge. So raising the weapon increases the window that the enemy can attack you in if you know what I mean. If you're backs to the enemy and your character has to turn to face them (with auto aim on), then this also extends the window. If you watch Pro Nicholai merc runs on youtube, you'll see that when they dodge, they are always dropping their weapons. I used to think dodging was to erratic to be useful, but after watching the vids, and noticing how they'd lower their weapons, then I realised how the mechanism works.

I play Mad Jackal with Nicholai mostly. And most of the actual dodging I do is of zombies, which are very easy to dodge with some practice. Nemesis is a bit harder. The knife and handgun seen to be able to dodge the most things. What do I mean buy this? Sometimes if you dodge Nemesis's grab or a Hunters swipe, Jill (Nicholai or Carlos too) will roll of, and aim on one knee, and fire from a crouching position. Now this can only be done with handguns (Samurai edge, Eagle STI and Sigpro). The move can't be done with the shotgun, and I'm not sure if the shotgun can dodge the attack at all (I don't play Mikhail or main game much).

Dodging can also back your character into a corner where they are in trouble. Where normally they'd be in the clear, in tight spaces you can still get hit by the attack. The hunters on the newspaper office stairs in mercs mode can screw me over like this.

Also, other enemies can hit you while you're dodging a different enemies attacks.

Both hunters 1 hit kills can not be dodged. If you're below 50% hp (so in caution or below), nemesis can 1 hit kill you. And I think you can't dodge that if he goes to grab you.

I wouldn't rely on dodge in combat, especially against nemesis. Dodge isn't that useful against him. As people have said, he's mostly left handed, so as you run by him, go on his right side (past his exposed shoulder), and his grab will miss.
                      If you're fighting him, and you've 'dropped him', and he's got up to continue the fight, he CAN give you a cheeky punch with his right as you run past, and then grab you and have some fun. He usually only does this after he's been dropped (and he agro's a bit).
                      When he wakes up he almost always charges at you, so you have to calm him down. Just run 'til he swings, then he'll keep on walking.
                      When fighting him, the worst is when he runs. His run usually always terminates in a punch, which is hard to dodge. Try keep him walking at all times.When he's walking, don't get too far away or he runs! Walk, and if he gets too close to Jill, sprint a little ahead, but not so far that he'll want to chase. Turn and get in 1 or 2 handgun rounds. The shotgun is too slow for the fight at the RPD gate. Get a few cheap shots in when he's down and taunting, but the rest use the handgun. Also at the distance, the shotgun rounds are quite weak, so the handgun is much better at the fight.
                      Early on, definately the hand gun. Later on FLAME ROUNDS. If you get the grenade gun in the STARS office, you can have enough flame rounds to bring him down in the RPD. (Mix AB to make a C, then make grenade rounds from the C, then mix an A with the GRENADE ROUNDS. So for an A A B, you can get 6 flame rounds) They are the type of round he is most susceptable to (SOURCE: Official Biohazard 3 guide: Nemesis Cover), and the flames can stun him for a fraction of a second, breaking his attack animations. I usually save in the dark room, and if I get the magnum in the office, I reload and try again.

If at all possible, fight him on stairs. He can't grab you because of the height discrepancy! He can only punch, which is a pretty weak attack. So just duke it out with him, with flame rounds, hoping you get alot of mini-stuns. In the RPD I let him crash through, go upstairs, make him waste his rockets in the corridor. Then lead him back down to the stairs, and duke it out there. Also in the Y junction when he appears as you return to the cable car. Abuse the small stairs there to kill him pretty easy. I beat him here with flame rounds, and I only took 3 punches, because I got really lucky with the mini stuns.

So yeah, don't rely on dodging too much. There are much easier things to exploit to defeat Nemesis pretty easily.
                      Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 08-07-2008, 08:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Heh, I remember playing RE3 on my laptop during English and just spending half the class in front of the RPD dodging Nemesis attacks (although it'll probably be harder on the consoles with a controller).

Can you actually control which dodge you do though? She'd always either duck, roll off to the side, or jump back... and depending on the situation some would backfire since it's not like RE4 where you're invincible.

(I still like RE3 and Outbreak's dodging a hell of a lot more than RE4...)

Comment

What's bizarre is that I've dodged Nemesis with moderate degrees of success, I've even managed to evade a couple of rockets. In fact, there was even an instance where I was at point blank range with Nemesis, and I continued to dodge and fire, dodge and fire, with the Magnum revolver. I don't know whether that's because I was playing through on Easy Mode, but I'm not having too much trouble with Nemesis on my current playthrough.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

Awesome tips, Gene ;) I'll put them to use now. Thanks!

Comment

Late last year RE3 was the first RE I played for a long time. Like Dot I also played it on hard and was surprised just how tough nemesis is. Great game I just wish it had more replay value in terms of extra scenarios like RE2.

Comment

Working...
                              X