Replaying: Resident Evil 1 (Original)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaying: Resident Evil 1 (Original)

I'm starting up this topic so I can keep track of my progress. It'll also be used to jot down some interesting notes as I go through the various versions of the game. I'm starting off with the original Playstation version. After that, I'll be moving into the Japanese, and then British versions. Rounding out that will be the famed German release, which has the full color intro.

Following that, I'll move off the Playstation and into the PC era, where I have a number of Japanese editions and one US. I also have a nice German one which should be very interesting to check out.

Finally, I'll tackle the Saturn releases.

I'll make a separate topic when I begin Directors Cut, but that'll be a ways off since this is what I'm currently looking at for the original release.

Special note: This officially marks (or, re-marks) the beginning of the Resident Evil 1 section
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM.

Awesome! I was so happy when I found the long-box version of RE1 at a garage sale for $3... Makes me wanna play it again, too.

Comment

Last edited by psx-collector; 09-08-2009, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Just please let me know if the intro is uncut on your PAL Sega Saturn copy, there's a few PAL copies around that have it.

As a Sega Saturn collector I'm interested in tracking it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
          Rounding out that will be the famed German release, which has the full color intro.
          Hey Dot, are you saying the original German Resident Evil (not the DirCut) has the full color intro? I know the German Director's Cut does, but I haven't heard anything about the original Deutsch Edition before.

Comment

I remember how hard the original RE was.

Comment

as I go through the various versions of the game
              You have all these different versions of the game? Wow thats awesome, I only have the US versions of RE games. Dot do how do you play the pal and Japanese verisons? Modded PS1?

Comment

"This officially marks (or, re-marks) the beginning of the Resident Evil 1 section "

Time to blow the dust of my copy then .

Comment

Originally posted by consoul View Post
                  Hey Dot, are you saying the original German Resident Evil (not the DirCut) has the full color intro? I know the German Director's Cut does, but I haven't heard anything about the original Deutsch Edition before.
                  Yep Edit: Wait, I'm not sure now. Probably not. Its the PC German release which has it in color, I know that for sure.

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
                  You have all these different versions of the game? Wow thats awesome, I only have the US versions of RE games. Dot do how do you play the pal and Japanese verisons? Modded PS1?
                  I'm using a modified PS3 to capture in 720p, then I downscale to 320x240 (for the PS1 titles, since thats the resolution they really run in). This way, I have the actual hardware taking the footage and making it progressive rather than having to deinterlace it myself.
                  Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-28-2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Special note: This officially marks (or, re-marks) the beginning of the Resident Evil 1 section
                    Cool, so is there gonna be a section for each game? What exactly is gonna be in these sections?

Comment

Pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the game . I really can't wait to get into the PC versions. Now that Meg has released that patch which fixes the frame rate problems, it should be great to finally play through it and get the PC exclusive weapons.
                      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-28-2009, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the game . I really can't wait to get into the PC versions. Now that Meg has released that patch which fixes the frame rate problems, it should be great to finally play through it and get the PC exclusive weapons.
                        Wuh? What are they? I'm a RE1 fanatic and I did not know of this
                        REmaster my ass...*hari kari's himself*
                        Last edited by REmaster; 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM.
                        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                          Wuh? What are they? I'm a RE1 fanatic and I did not know of this
                          REmaster my ass...*hari kari's himself*
                          Jill gets a Mac 11 whilst Chris gets a SAW M249 light machine gun.

Comment

I never understood how to unlock those without a hex editor or a save editor. I remember one of the old PC magazines that had cheats printed how to get them with a hex editor, so even they didn't know how to do it properly Quick question, whats with the 2 PAL Playstation releases with the different SLES numbers? Am i right in assuming one is the edited release with green blood? Or was that just a PC thing?
                            Last edited by rewak; 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                              Quick question, whats with the 2 PAL Playstation releases with the different SLES numbers?
                              Back in the PS1 days, each different regional release would get a different SLES code, as there was only one language on each disc. SLES 00227 is French, 00228 is German, 00200 is English (released in every region which did not get their own language on the disc).

There is even an SLES 00200 disc released in Spain and Italy with those two languages on the insert, but the disc is identical to the UK disc, and has only English on the disc.

For late PS1 and PS2 games one disc usually had all the languages on the same disc, so all regions got the same disc packed with an inlay in whichever language, and with a different barcode.

So, if there is just one tiny difference, a disc will get a different SLES code even though it's the same game. Usually the only difference you'll find on such discs is the language, in this case the German disc does have a bit different content other than that, too.
                              Last edited by Anders; 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM.
                              lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Working...
                              X