Old Resident Evil articles + Old Mikami interview from EGM Issue #80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Resident Evil articles + Old Mikami interview from EGM Issue #80

So I'm looking through tons of old magazine articles for beta information and old articles when I stumbled upon this old EGM interview with Shinji Mikami about RE1. While there isn't anything particular about this interview. Its still nice to read an article from an era when RE was like one of those state-of-the-art games back in the day.

Points of any kind of interest for any kind of reason whatsoever.
    *By the time this interview was conducted, the game was at 40% completion and 80% of the code was done.
    *A 10 minute closing movie was planned. (Unless he means 10 minutes total of all the FMV endings.)
    *Soft Image was used to create the graphics.
    *Even the 32-bit machines couldn't allow Mikami to express the vision he wanted for BioHazard. (And then came the GCN remake!)
    *When asked what comparison can be made to this game to the other horror game Alone in the Dark, Mikami responded: The graphics kick ass.

Yeah, just thought I share.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 07-21-2013, 04:19 PM.
    If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

He sounds like a child in this, hahaha.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Nice read, thanks.
      lostreleases // demopals

Comment

"No, not Myst-like puzzles -- More realistic puzzles. For example, if you have an enemy in front of you, you need a weapon, like finding a gun framed on the wall. But if you pull that down, suddenly the ceiling starts falling down... and you're crushed. You have to do something special to solve the puzzle. Your decision-making ability is the key."
        Yes, because falling ceilings in 30-some year-old mansions is so realistic.

And these are the reasons we love our RE.

Comment

Very interesting OKei, thank you What is the exact date this magazine was published, please?

"There are five levels: (...) a garden scene, a dungeon, a bio-laboratory, the inside of the mansion and a graveyard".

Let's see this in detail:
          The bio-lab and the mansion are fine.
          The garden scene... it may be the passage between the mansion and the guardian house, but it may be an unknown area.
          A dungeon???
          A graveyard??????
          OK, we saw the graveyard in Rebirth, but I am really curious about this dungeon...
          Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

^ My guess is the dungeon is probably the area between the gravestone after the second Yawn fight, the one that leads to the kitchen. Either that, or I'm wrong.

As for the graveyard, yeah, in RE1 there wasn't one to my memory...

Comment

Garden = passage to guardhouse from mansion
              Dungeon = passage from garden to lab, ya know, under the waterfall
              Graveyard = BETA-LOLz
              lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Originally posted by imacwesker View Post
                Very interesting OKei, thank you What is the exact date this magazine was published, please?
                Its, oddly enough, the March 1996 issue of EGM. The exact cover is here:

Got more articles coming up. Busy now.
                Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 11-15-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

in the article he stated he want to shift from adventure to action...which he really did (in the form of DMC and the recent REs).

Comment

This is the first time I read this interview, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by xfactor View Post
                      in the article he stated he want to shift from adventure to action...which he really did (in the form of DMC and the recent REs).
                      THERES THE ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING!!!

wow.. and we get so touchy on the new RE's
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xfactor View Post
                        That's sort of what he did first with Resident Evil 2 with BH1.5 and eventually Dino Crisis, huh? Also,

Another article!

This one is from EGM issue #75 page 99, Oct. 1995. It's an apparently very early preview of Resident Evil 1 as this one even has the old Jill model with Chris in the same photos.

Comment

Thanks for these OKei. They're fantastic!
                          sigpic

Comment

Here are some other old RE1 articles (scroll down, there are more than those in the original post):

Scanned by SeiyaKou. Some of them are in Polish, though.
                            Last edited by Anders; 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM.
                            lostreleases // demopals

Comment

wow, I was 2 years ol when that appeared. Is funny to see Chris and Jill co-op in the Mansion, thing that only happened 10 years after that in UC and it was heavly critizied

Comment

Working...
                              X