Capcom; Resident Evil 7 will Return to Survival Horror roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capcom; Resident Evil 7 will Return to Survival Horror roots

Former Capcom marketing boss Michael Pattison told MCV that Capcom has been listening to the consumers feedback in regards to the direction series. He acknowledged to the complain that Resident Evil 6 is 'bloated' , and that the nnext game of the series will return to the survival horror roots. He suggested that Resident Evil Revelations has aided in the cry out for the return to the series root.

*Logs in for the first time in months *

"THANK FUCKING GOD."

*Logs out*
    Last edited by REmaster; 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

We'll see what they consider "Return to the roots".
      Last edited by Zombie_X; 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM.
      My Head-Fi Page

Comment

My guess is that it'll be RE4-ish or something. Though I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'd be surprised if they went back farther to the classic style. (But we can dream!)

And Revelations was a huge disappointment (for me).

Comment

I think the true Survival Horror concept won´t come back, some kind of "Survival Shooter" hybrid is what I could expect, which is better anyway than an Action Shooter like RE6 with not even a bit of survival.
          Considering they think they did it well with Leon´s campaign...
          The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

I still think its time for them reboot.
            They just aren't capable to making a main game in the series that has what it takes anymore. Even with the glimpse of hope I saw that the Revelations development teams entry.

The last few main entries have expanded the world the characters live in, but the original story arc died in 2008 and the mess of a story they chose to tell for part 6 was just not interesting.

It wasn't just the continued Michael Bay action sequences or boring BOWs(I will still give them credit for the J'aavo concept. That was and still is a very clever enemy concept, but most of the other BOWs just felt bland.) but the fact that the characters, old and new have become stale, boring...and sadly, annoying. Its not just Jake.

While the RE series has never been known for having rich interesting characters...minus Wesker who was at least interesting, its 2013. Games are overtaking movies in terms of story telling and character development and have been since about 2006.

If you're going to spend about 9-12 hrs in a game with a handful of characters, thats enough time to give everyone their own story arc and enough development to see them more than just "the good guys".

I know that US and Japanese storytelling and characters are different and both have their own pluses and minuses, but it really is time for them to put more into the characters in game. Seeing them try to do this with Chris in 6 might have worked if A: They didn't reveal most of it in 6's advertisements and B: There was more to the story than just Carla killing Chris's team.

I would love to see them prove me wrong and get me back into the series, but with everything that they've been doing since 2004 and all the missed opportunists...Its hard to get excited when I hear about another sequel.

Comment

It seems like it's really make or break time. Resident Evil has slid into irrelevance with Resident Evil 6. And people my age who've followed this series nearly as long as I have (since '96 personally) can remember when Resident Evil was known for it's strengths in graphics, storytelling and characters. RE6 doesn't excel at any of these areas; and really did just follow market trends. As a game (well from what I've played) it feels like it was focus grouped to within an inch of it's life, and judging by the reviews (and now Capcom's acknowledgement) it really doesn't seem to have pleased anyone.

There's a reason that I've been telling pretty much everyone I know to at least go and try The Last of Us. It's not because I like stealth gameplay (I generally don't. TLoU was a real chore in parts for me); it's not because it's got the best graphics I've seen in years (they're not a huge leap compared to what's come before). It's not because of the 'amazing' sound track of the 'feeling' of the weapons. It's because it's an engaging story with engaging characters who have depth and vulnerabilities. And it delivers an experience which to me felt like more than the sum of it's parts. I don't think Bio7 has to even do anything gameplay wise remotely similar. I think it just has to do something outstanding (ie. In the sense that it's not derrivative) and interesting; otherwise people will care less about RE then they do now. Just a unique experience which is interesting and fun. To get people talking and enthused about the series again.

There's a reason games were called 'Resident Evil Clones'; because RE was by far and away the best at what it did. The newest games are not a trendsetter in any regard. No game will be called an RE6 clone... Imagine if RE6 was a new IP, it'd be forgotten within a week.

Capcom have to decide if they're gonna try and stand out, or see how riding that bandwagon goes one more time.
              sigpic

Comment

...yeah. We'll see about that.

I haven't played Bio6, yet... but I bought-into the turd that is "Revelations", which plays like a low-budget movie on the Sy-Fy channel. That said, I don't even think fans really know what the hell they want from this series, anymore. That title came highly-suggested, and it was beyond disappointment. I couldn't bare to play past the second "Chapter/movie/whatever". Never again.

"return to the survival horror roots"

^ can be translated many different ways, especially considering the fact that Bio4 is nearly 10 years old, now.

Reboot, or seriously, GTFO... and leave Raccoon City behind, while you're at it, CAPCOM.
                I'm a blackstar.

Comment

They said the same thing about RE5 and RE6. This means nothing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                    ...yeah. We'll see about that.

I haven't played Bio6, yet... but I bought-into the turd that is "Revelations", which plays like a low-budget movie on the Sy-Fy channel. That said, I don't even think fans really know what the hell they want from this series, anymore. That title came highly-suggested, and it was beyond disappointment. I couldn't bare to play past the second "Chapter/movie/whatever". Never again.

"return to the survival horror roots"

^ can be translated many different ways, especially considering the fact that Bio4 is nearly 10 years old, now.

Reboot, or seriously, GTFO... and leave Raccoon City behind, while you're at it, CAPCOM.
                    You should give Revelations a little more of a chance than just chapter 2 dude. It IS a really good game, its very much its own thing.

While I agree with you about the "last time on Resident Evil Revelations" catch up clips, the game itself is episodic. Its a non linear story that goes back and forth on its timeline and I thought they did a pretty good job(the catch up clips weren't needed though).

I cant force ya, but I'd say at least get to chapter 4 so you can get to experience some more of the game and what it has to offer. The custom parts, the genesis gun are really good additions to the game. They take some getting used too, but add some depth to the games design.

I mean hell, if you really want to appreciate revelations, spend an hour playing RE6 on Chris's campaign.

Comment

^ Not just that .. several classic RE mechanics and storyline ideas are in Revelations that we haven't seen since Zero (and Wii Chronicles games)
                      Loved it for that - felt the tension and classic Arghhhhh moments

Final chapters and later sections are fantastic. Sure it isn't as great as the classics - but it's the closest it's been since Outbreak!
                      I hope they truly do return FULLY to the roots.. I wouldn't mind a reboot, but I'd miss the characters. If they re-invented the same ones maybe?

A guy commented on the link - he is so right .. "never mess with the original fans"
                      Or hell even Sydney's qoute in Scream 4 is the same thing "Don't fuck with the originals"

Recently played ALL the Sonic games and noticed even Sega have gone back to the classic plaforming gameplay
                      (later games doing this have done really well, while ones before it trying to be different sucked badly)
                      Last edited by RaccoonSurvivor; 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM.
                      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

RER was a good approach on some survival features and mechanics, at least on Jill chapters. You have to skip enemies when you´re running out of ammo because they don´t refill your supplies, and knife/melee attacks don´t give any help in most cases. The atmosphere of the ship also feels very well. The game is less linear than RE5/RE6 and has quite of exploration and backtracking, though it become linear in the later chapters.

It´s a good starting point to me, if they make something like RER but with less ammo available, more survival tactics and more elaborated puzzles it should be fine.
                        The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

lol wasn't the same thing said for RE 4, 5, 6 and Revelations? I'm guessing RE7 will be similar to Revelation's slower pace. I'm okay with that. I enjoyed RE6 but the game is so fragmented and obviously developed by different teams with bad communication.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdz View Post
                            They said the same thing about RE5 and RE6. This means nothing to me.
                            This.

As I said over at Biohaze already, I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

I took your advice, Wrathborne.

I got to the "Mayday!" boss in chapter 4... it got stuck, in-place, after I jumped off a ledge to avoid it, thus, allowing me to blast it to hell.

Meanwhile, Parker, just stood in-place aiming and shooting the floor with seemingly infinite ammo and health, as monsters pulverized him.

I stand by my previous comment, "Reboot, or GTFO".
                              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X