No announcement yet.

Capcom; Resident Evil 7 will Return to Survival Horror roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps I'm naive but I still have faith that if Capcom really cares about trying to make RE innovative while maintaining a survival horror feeling found in the original games, then they can pull it off. At the very least, better than "The Evil Within" game from Mikami.

Perhaps competition will be a strong motivator.
    sigpic
    "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
      I took your advice, Wrathborne.

I got to the "Mayday!" boss in chapter 4... it got stuck, in-place, after I jumped off a ledge to avoid it, thus, allowing me to blast it to hell.

Meanwhile, Parker, just stood in-place aiming and shooting the floor with seemingly infinite ammo and health, as monsters pulverized him.

I stand by my previous comment, "Reboot, or GTFO".
      You lucky bastard, fucker killed me 3 times first time I played him, but yeah the AI partner cant be killed(a welcome departure from RE5) and the AI partner has infinite ammo(also a welcome departure from RE5). I was actually playing the X-box version at a friends the other night and saw the glitch you mentioned.

But ya gave the game a chance, sorry it didn't impress.

Comment

I took your advice, Wrathborne.

I got to the "Mayday!" boss in chapter 4... it got stuck, in-place, after I jumped off a ledge to avoid it, thus, allowing me to blast it to hell.

Meanwhile, Parker, just stood in-place aiming and shooting the floor with seemingly infinite ammo and health, as monsters pulverized him.

I stand by my previous comment, "Reboot, or GTFO".
        I would say Revelations is closer to classic RE than 4,5, or 6. Not without its flaws of course, but it shows they have potential to steer the series back on course.

People are entitled to their opinions of course, but sometimes I feel that some are a little too harsh on Revelations.
        sigpic
        "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Due to the size and scope of Revelations as a game on a handheld. If it had the budget of a mainline AAA title in the series then it would be exactly what I'd like my Resi to be. Tank controls is just not liked by many gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
            You lucky bastard, fucker killed me 3 times first time I played him, but yeah the AI partner cant be killed(a welcome departure from RE5) and the AI partner has infinite ammo(also a welcome departure from RE5). I was actually playing the X-box version at a friends the other night and saw the glitch you mentioned.

But ya gave the game a chance, sorry it didn't impress.
            First encounter on the PS3, for me.

No need to apologize, I actually appreciate the encouragement. For what it's worth, I was actually kinda getting into it... I really wanted to like Revelations.

Originally posted by Graco View Post
            I would say Revelations is closer to classic RE than 4,5, or 6. Not without its flaws of course, but it shows they have potential to steer the series back on course.

People are entitled to their opinions of course, but sometimes I feel that some are a little too harsh on Revelations.
            No cigar. Not even close.

I could have looked past the fact that enemies are tremendously repetitious, with absolutely no variation. I could have even skipped past those abundant supplies of ammo and chronic weed (on hard mode!). Maybe, I could have muted my stereo when jerkoff conversations about lobster dinner take place, while Jessica simultaneously takes claws to the face from a hunter. Perhaps, even, forgiven the fact that all areas are tremendously boring and repetitive, with no action, enemies and/or pickups.

...but bugs like the one I encountered with the "mayday!" boss is a total dealbreaker for me. Additionally, infinite ammo and health is an unwanted feature. Granted, the AI is leaps and bounds beyond the atrocity that is known as Sheva... but that's not saying much. Fact remains, the dumbass repeatedly shot the carpet under his own feet, just when I needed him the most (disregarding the fact that the boss was glitched, stuck in-place).

It's fairly obvious that CAPCOM cannot properly develop/code artificial intelligence. Hopefully (I guess that's the right word), they will remove this 'tag team' aspect from future titles. It just doesn't work, and simply is not what survival horror is meant to be.[/rant]

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
            Tank controls is just not liked by many gamers.
            For Resident Evil titles, I fully expect nothing else; I prefer the tank controls.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I hope, but i don't trust their words (btw, crossing the fingers).
              "Project Night" (indie horror game) will be released on January 22, 2015
              http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sho...rking-Title%29

Comment

Reboot it like Tomb Raider in mid 2000s. New timeline, same Lara, new dev.

Restart the timeline and go in a different direction with it, can use some overlap. Reset the characters to how they were when first appeared (no redesigns because I'm willing to bet the RE fanbase will be worse than Devil May Cry was over new Dante).

Very important: Let someone else handle development and writing. Someone decent. Outsource it all because Capcom are hopeless.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

We heard that root beer bullshit before, i personally prefer if they release both RE:Remake & RE:Zero in HD package instead, i miss the fixed camera angles and the tank controllers !

Comment

First encounter on the PS3, for me.

No need to apologize, I actually appreciate the encouragement. For what it's worth, I was actually kinda getting into it... I really wanted to like Revelations.

No cigar. Not even close.

I could have looked past the fact that enemies are tremendously repetitious, with absolutely no variation. I could have even skipped past those abundant supplies of ammo and chronic weed (on hard mode!). Maybe, I could have muted my stereo when jerkoff conversations about lobster dinner take place, while Jessica simultaneously takes claws to the face from a hunter. Perhaps, even, forgiven the fact that all areas are tremendously boring and repetitive, with no action, enemies and/or pickups.

...but bugs like the one I encountered with the "mayday!" boss is a total dealbreaker for me. Additionally, infinite ammo and health is an unwanted feature. Granted, the AI is leaps and bounds beyond the atrocity that is known as Sheva... but that's not saying much. Fact remains, the dumbass repeatedly shot the carpet under his own feet, just when I needed him the most (disregarding the fact that the boss was glitched, stuck in-place).

It's fairly obvious that CAPCOM cannot properly develop/code artificial intelligence. Hopefully (I guess that's the right word), they will remove this 'tag team' aspect from future titles. It just doesn't work, and simply is not what survival horror is meant to be.[/rant]

For Resident Evil titles, I fully expect nothing else; I prefer the tank controls.
                    If compared to the originals, the classics hold up much better than Revelations. But in comparison to the 4, 5, and 6 the atmosphere of the ship was far better than anything I've played of the main entries. It's unfortunate about the glitches; I bought it for the 3DS when it was originally released and haven't gotten around to playing the console ports.

Your complaints are valid however and hopefully Capcom picks up on those mistakes, and perhaps I'm too forgiving, but Revelations ship areas were better than anything they have put out in quite some time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mark I'm sorry you experienced that bug but the fact is it's rare, I have played the 3DS and console port, I like watching Let's Plays of the RE series as a refresh and just because I like peoples reactions and no one including me experienced such a breaking glitch.

Also Parker and the other partners are of no concern to the gameplay itself, the AI as you said should not even be in there, it's clumsy and in Revelations it's just not needed what so ever.

So like I said that bug you experienced is extremely unfortunate, you would not believe how many people I have seen shitting themselves during that Boss and the Rachel moments, truely some of the better moments in the series in quite a while from a more creepy approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Graco View Post
                        Perhaps I'm naive but I still have faith that if Capcom really cares about trying to make RE innovative while maintaining a survival horror feeling found in the original games, then they can pull it off. At the very least, better than "The Evil Within" game from Mikami.

Perhaps competition will be a strong motivator.
                        They won't stand a chance against Mikami and his team(I.E. most of the original devs who helped create RE1 and left capcom are his employees).Im actually more interested in the Evil Within its spicing up to be a true survival horror title.
                        Last edited by BrionIrons; 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM.
                        sigpic
                        www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
                          They won't stand a chance against Mikami and his team(I.E. most of the original devs who helped create RE1 and left capcom are his employees).Im actually more interested in the Evil Within its spicing up to be a true survival horror title.
                          Yes, the Evil Within is my most anticipated game of 2014. Does anyone know why Capcom let Mikami go? He produced some of Capcom's biggest selling games.

Comment

If RE7 was to get an announcement trailer tomorrow, I'd still be more excited for "The Evil Within". With Mikami, I know we are going to be getting a game with survival horror elements in it.....with Capcom, I doubt it.

As a matter of fact Capcom should just not even touch the series until after "The Evil Within" is released. Let Mikami show them how it's done.
                            Last edited by CODE_umb87; 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrionIrons View Post
                              While I also anticipate Mikami's new game, I'm not overly excited of what I've seen. And I have not been a fan of his decisions in the past when concerning certain RE titles. Furthermore, while I'm not educated as to who of the original RE staff worked on RE5 and what Mikami's team contributed, I felt that RE5 was a far cry from what the series once was. So enlisting some of the original staff doesn't lay to rest my concerns for The Evil Within.

That said, it will be interesting to see how RE7 will stack up against The Evil Within, and I will approach both games as objectively as possible when playing them.
                              sigpic

Comment

@shanemurphy - Wrathborne seems to have experienced the glitch, as well, so it's not extraordinarily rare.
                                I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                                X