• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Censorship discussion

The Censorship of Resident Evil info!

----------------------------------------------

Resident Evil (BIO HAZARD):

1. "Resident Evil" is known in Japan as "Bio Hazard". The Original Japanese version was released on March 22nd, 1996 in Japan with the black and white uncut intro, Kenneth's head scene and uncut Bad Ending of Chris Redfield. Japan had the intro in black and white in order to censor blood color, but still have uncut and horrifying scenes in the intro. The U.S. version was released on March 30th, 1996 in North America and the European version was released August 1st, 1996. Both U.S. and European version suffered censorship which had the intro heavily edited in black and white with grusome scenes cut out, Kenneth's head scene was cut out, and Chris' bad ending was short and edited to prevent smoking as it did with the edited intro.

2. The Saturn version was relesed in Japan on July 25th, 1997 without censorship. The U.S. version that was released in North America on August 31st, 1997 and European version released on October 1st 1997, is still censored as the Playstation version. Interestingly however, certain little copies of PAL Sega Saturn versions are rumored to contain the uncut colored intro and nothing else.

3. "Bio Hazard Director's Cut" was released in Japan on September 25th, 1997 and the Dual Shock was released in Japan on August 6th, 1998 with no FMV censorship. "Resident Evil Director's Cut" was released in U.S. on September 30th, 1997 (PAL regions on December 10th, 1997) and was supposed to include uncut scenes that Capcom promised to the fans, but sadly due to copyright of the intro, the U.S. version is still censored, so the uncut intro was uploaded by Capcom on their site for users to download. However the French and German versions of the Director's Cut contained the uncut colored intro with subtitles, but the other two inappropriate FMVs were censored and cut. The U.S. Dual Shock version that was released in North America on September 14th, 1998 suffered the same censorship.

4. The Japanese Power VR PC version was released in Japan on December 6th, 1996 and included the colored intro uncut with other uncut scenes. The U.S. PC version is also the complete uncut and uncensored version and was released in North America on September 30th, 1997. Some European PC versions of RE1 were censored with green blood including the two FMVs replaced with censored versions, but not the German, Asian versions and the U.K. Power VR PC edition. Most (or all) certain death scenes censored on all consoles have been restored (for example: In the PC version, whenever a player is killed by a zombie, it quickly eats down the player's flesh before turning the screen white. But the console versions, the screen turns white at the start whenever the player is killed by an enemy).

5. The edited Nintendo DS version named "Resident Evil Deadly Silence" was released in Japan and U.S. with the censored black-and white intro and the edited Chris' bad ending, however the Kenneth's half-eaten face scene was kept.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 2 (BIOHAZARD 2):

Resident Evil 2 was the first to be released in U.S. on January 21st, 1998 and featured grusome death scenes involving Leon or Claire being eaten and violently beaten to death by enemies. The death scenes were censored for the Japanese version titled Biohazard 2, which is released secondly in Japan on January 29th, 1998. The Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 and PS1 Dual Shock versions versions in Japan were censored while the U.S. versions are uncensored. Certain European versions are either released uncut or censored. The Gamecube version and the PC version in Japan may contain the same uncut content as the U.S. versions which includes death scenes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (BIOHAZARD 3: Last Escape)

1. The German version has all blood gray, censored, and bodies of enemies disappear like in the old arcade games.

2. European versions like UK English, Italian, French, and Spanish, have red blood and gore, except zombie's head stays attached when kicked it's head as Jill or encountering Hunter in the hospital as Carlos. However the PAL Gamecube version restores two of the violence, the zombie head decapitation kick and the hunter decapitating the player, but the hunter decapitating the zombie was sadly censored.

3. In the U.S. for Playstation, PC, and Dreamcast versions, kicking zombie's head stays attached, however two deaths, hunter decapitating the zombie and the players head were uncut. Interestingly however, the U.S. Gamecube version features all uncensored violence, the decapitation zombie kick, including the zombie and player's head decapitation by the hunter.

4. The Original Japanese version is almost uncensored for all consoles except for the fact that the Hunter cannot decapitate the player's head off. The PC versions in Japan allow the player to kick off the zombie's head, but scenes where the hunter decapitates the zombie and player's head is censored The downloaded Japanese PS1 version from the Japanese PSN store is completely censored (the version downloaded from the Japan PSN store was the Capkore version).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (Biohazard Code: Veronica [Complete])

People complained about the gory Resident Evil games in Japan so they decided to put new censorship rules for Japan. There were no decapitations allowed on either U.S., Japan, or European versions. It was until the Gamecube Remake of Resident Evil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Resident Evil Remake (Biohazard Rebirth)

All versions including the Japanese version is the same, with no censorship.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Resident Evil 0 (Biohazard 0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4)

The U.S and other versions on Gamecube, PS2, PC, Wii, and downloads on Xbox 360 and PS3 featured uncensored content such as enemy decapitations and gory uncensored death scenes like Leon getting decapitated by a Chainsaw man, and unexpected Ashley's jiggling breasts. All console versions (including the XBOX 360 and PS3 port) in Japan were censored because of CERO rating laws, as the Ganado enemy's head don't explode, and Leon's death scene was different as the Chainsaw man mutilates Leon's face, the other deaths were toned down. The German version is also censored, but the only thing removed is the "Assignment Ada" and "The Mercenaries".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil Revelations (Biohazard Revelations)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 5 (BIOHAZARD 5)

The violence in Japan has been toned down a bit from having more blood, and half-eaten bodies (shown in U.S. and other countries) were modified. The most important and certain scene censored in Japan from earning the dreaded "Z" rating is full scene of Players' (before getting decapitated) head being chainsawed by the Majini.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 6 (BIOHAZARD 6)

Certain graphic death scenes of players, the decapitation and gory details of zombies and enemies have been edited out of the Japanese release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think about my censorship information? Does it make sense? Hope it's not spamming...

Let's discuss why. And Wrathborne, do not make a scene! I'm not talking about decapitations. And I do not have a fetish about decapitations, nor I'm a decapitation fan. I'm trying not to spam people either.

Thank you

Joseph
    Last edited by Joehrex; 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM. Reason: Thanks Renard and LeonSK for the heads up!

The censorship had changed a lot back then when Japanese games used to be completely uncensored and the overseas releases was censored !

Comment

Great list, after how gory Resident Evil 4 was, it's bad how Resident Evil 5 had a lack of gruesome death scenes (Well, didn't show it on camera). I remember dying from the Chainsaw Majini, and Chris would be decapitated off screen. Laziness or just censorship?

With the German version of Resident Evil 4, was the Mercenaries and Assignment Ada removed from their version? If so, that sucks, Mercenaries was fun.

Comment

Good work) But in Biohazard 4 (and Xbox 360/PS3 port) Ganado heads not blow if you shot in it.
        Last edited by LeonSK; 09-07-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joehrex View Post
          Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (BIOHAZARD 3: Last Escape)
          1. The German version has all blood gray, censored, and bodies of enemies disappear like in the old arcade games.
          You are correct about the German version! I found this surprising when someone showed it to me.

3. In the U.S. for Playstation, PC, and Dreamcast versions, kicking zombie's head stays attached, but the Gamecube versions in the U.S. the player CAN decapitate zombies by kicking and stomping them or see it's head get decapitated by a Hunter. Completely uncensored.
          You didn't specify too much on the PS1 version. The only censoring is kicking the zombies' heads. The Hunter scene in the hospital is completely uncensored, with the zombie's head falling to the floor. The player can be decapitated by a hunter too. I remember this well, as a child I was shocked to see Jill headless with blood coming from her neck!

Comment

If I remember correctly remake has no decaptitstions in Europe.

Comment

Thanks Renard and LeonSK for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                Could be... If someone could show the decapitation censoring footage from Resident Evil Remake (PAL) on Youtube.

Comment

From what I recall back when Resident Evil: Director's Cut first came out and was still censored, Capcom USA apologized and stated that it was a "mix-up" with the people who pressed the discs, and used the wrong FMV footage. I remember all the hype about the Director's Cut finally being uncensored, but then when it came out, it wasn't, and Capcom said it was a mix-up or mistake. Or am I mis-remembering that somehow? I remember reading it somewhere back then, whether it was in a gaming magazine or online, I don't remember.
                  Last edited by Eteponge; 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

^ I believe it was to do with the intro. The full colour uncensored intro was meant to be used and wasn't. So Capcom apologized and put the full colour intro on their site for download.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradon View Post
                      ^ I believe it was to do with the intro. The full colour uncensored intro was meant to be used and wasn't. So Capcom apologized and put the full colour intro on their site for download.
                      That's right! I remember that too!

Comment

This isn't quite 'censoring', but I've noticed a few things taken out of later releases of RE3. In my PS1 version, when you speak to Dario while he locked himself in that thing he says "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!! Just get away from me!..." But when I played my brother's Dreamcast version, he only said "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!!". I then watched a YouTube video of the PC version and this one also only said "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!!". It seems the "Just get away from me!..." part was removed from later releases, for some reason...

Comment

It's in the trial edition and in BIO3 as well, but was removed for some reason.
                          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Originally posted by Renard View Post
                            This isn't quite 'censoring', but I've noticed a few things taken out of later releases of RE3. In my PS1 version, when you speak to Dario while he locked himself in that thing he says "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!! Just get away from me!..." But when I played my brother's Dreamcast version, he only said "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!!". I then watched a YouTube video of the PC version and this one also only said "I told you!... I'm not leaving! Never!!". It seems the "Just get away from me!..." part was removed from later releases, for some reason...
                            In an earlier build of Biohazard 3 (I think the Trial Edition), there was a chain you could get in the opening area that you could use on his locked door to keep it secure, which would have certainly saved him from his demise when you went back there later. Sad they removed it. Who knows what role he could have played if he survived.
                            Last edited by Eteponge; 09-10-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                              My UK PAL copy of REmake has decapitations, not terribly sure about the Hunters though, been a long time since I was killed by one in that game

Comment

Working...
                              X