Resident Evil 5 Is Capcom's Biggest-Selling Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 5 Is Capcom's Biggest-Selling Game

Resident Evil 5 has overtaken the legendary Street Fighter 2 as Capcom’s biggest-selling game since the company formed in 1983.

In a post on the Capcom Investor Relations site, the company pegged Resident Evil 5′s life-time sales at 6.5 million units since 2009, beating Street Fighter 2′s 6.3 million.

In third, Resident Evil 6 comes in at 5.2 million units, followed by 4.96 million copies of Resident Evil 2 sold since 1998.

Source
    sigpic

It's actually not the biggest selling, but they've used some sly tactics to make it look more impressive.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

It was at 6.1m a couple weeks ago on their IR platinum list, but PS3/360 only. Now they've added 'DL' to it which counts full game downloads on PSN, XBL.

RE6 done the same, 4.9m>5.2m.

It is the biggest selling though, digital sales are still sales.
      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
        It was at 6.1m a couple weeks ago on their IR platinum list, but PS3/360 only. Now they've added 'DL' to it which counts full game downloads on PSN, XBL.

RE6 done the same, 4.9m>5.2m.

It is the biggest selling though, digital sales are still sales.
        Still not the biggest selling even with that. SF2 and BH2 (and probably BH4) are still higher overall, they're just not counted overall.

BH2 for instance doesn't count the Dual Shock Version. Or the Dreamcast, PC, GameCube or Game.com versions... or digital sales. BH4 is listed three separate times on that list and adds up to 5.8m. More than BH6, and that's still not counting the PC version, digital sales or HD release. It's not strictly wrong, just very selective to make the newer titles look better.

EDIT: I would assume the BH5 numbers also include Gold Edition, don't they? But not the PC/Steam version.
        Last edited by News Bot; 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

The platinum lists group individual releases seperately. RE5 released same day/date on PS3 and 360 so are together, the PC version released later which is why it isn't listed with them.

RE2 and RE2 Dualshock Edition are two different releases, the DC port, GC port, PC port, PSN release are all different releases. Same for RE4 and so forth.

It isn't done to make newer games look better, older games just did not get day and date multiplat releases, and was no digital options back then. (Though adding digital may have been done to look better, possibly more accurate also though).
          Last edited by Dracarys; 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I guess, but it should still be noted that the list isn't a representation of overall sales, which is what most places are reporting this as (and indeed it doesn't do a good job of saying otherwise).

SF2 is still CAPCOM's best-selling title overall at 14.3 million. BH5 is still mighty impressive, though.
            Last edited by News Bot; 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Totally with NB on this. It's misleading. It's apples and oranges. They need to chart it by either single platform SKU each or all release SKU's combined for each game. This is either or just to make whatever titles they want look good. Releasing on a certain date on multi platforms shouldn't make a difference. And other companies note overall launch sales but do provided break down usually on how many of those were on each platform. Capcom doesn't.

Comment

They are obviously just trying to put RE5 in the spotlight.....but my question is, why? Unless they are going to be doing something with it like giving it a Wii U port this seems a little random.

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                  They are obviously just trying to put RE5 in the spotlight.....but my question is, why? Unless they are going to be doing something with it like giving it a Wii U port this seems a little random.
                  All they've done is added digital sales to games, several have had a boost in numbers because of it. This wasn't an RE5 specific thing. Two reasons to add digital now, more accurate sales data, plus make everything look more successful.

Comment

Its the highest selling game. After 6 failed to meet sales expectations and was blasted by fans and critics they're announcing some positive news about the series.

Which is bad for most of us as 5 was really a crappy entry in the series. Bad Story, bad inventory system, terrible AI partner somehow equaled huge sales.While co-op mode fixed the terrible AI partner issue, the shitty story and inventory system couldn't be fixed with a friend playing.

I cant help but suspect that the announcement of RE5s sales is going to make RE7 more actiony...Well more actiony and Alex Wesker will officially be the new President of the USA in the games story.

Comment

I'm still bummed that RE6 didn't sell "enough" for Capcom to justify making new DLC for it. It would have been nice to have story DLC.

Comment

There's a Bio5 pachinko machine in Japan which has been out for a few months now. Maybe to promote that??
                        Or maybe to show that investors like their DLC model or something? I don't know. Just thinking aloud.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by djepic112 View Post
                          I'm still bummed that RE6 didn't sell "enough" for Capcom to justify making new DLC for it. It would have been nice to have story DLC.
                          More story? Nah, there was more than enough of that crap in the game. Don't want Resi to become like a Quantic Dream game (with RE6, it came close with those damn QTE's).
                          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                            It's actually not the biggest selling, but they've used some sly tactics to make it look more impressive.
                            I don't see why would they do something like this. People like them at the helm of big corporations are usually pragmatic,not delusional. This simply is not a way to do business, besides their weird math, SF2 or RE2 had way more time on the shelves, it's a little bit weird to compare a game that came in 2009 vs another that came out during the 90s.

Another aspect to consider is that RE4-5 really brought a new public,probably younger "gamers"

Lastly, profitability between titles vary greatly depending on whether the sales are made the first days on sale! I'm not sure but RE5 reached 3 millions units sold very quickly unlike RE6 which made a lot of sales but after a price cut.

I'm still astonished by RE6's result which had good ideas, but it was as well as a bad RE,a bad game

Comment

Working...
                            X