Main Resident Evil Fanbase Is In Its 30s And 40s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Resident Evil Fanbase Is In Its 30s And 40s

The “main user group” for the Resident Evil games is now in its late-30s to 40s, Capcom have revealed. In a feature highlighting the series on their Investor Relations website, Capcom say that this poses the risk of these fans growing older and older and eventually outgrowing videogames altogether.

As always, the solution is to try and appeal to a younger generation of gamers, in an effort to ensure that you always have new players being introduced to the Resident Evil games. One approach Capcom are taking to help facilitate this is carrying out collaborations with fashion magazines.

Capcom say they’re collaborating with fashion brands that are popular among young people to help give Resident Evil more exposure among the youth.

Other marketing and promotional activities include appealing to non-gamers through a “Halloween Horror Night” event held in alliance with Universal Studios Japan and the opening of a Resident Evil cafĂ© in Shibuya, Tokyo.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26...tZAS68UESjc.99

Apparently the above story is extracted from an article. To view the article for the full story, check out this link
    Last edited by xfactor; 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM.

WTF i'm only 24 and i played very resident evil title since 1998 !

Comment

From a retail perspective, I can safely say that they're certainly right about there being a large portion of the userbase consisting of people who basically were born in the 70s or early 80s.

Comment

One approach Capcom are taking to help facilitate this is carrying out collaborations with fashion magazines.

Capcom say they’re collaborating with fashion brands that are popular among young people to help give Resident Evil more exposure among the youth.

I'm 21 and I got into the games from watching my brother play them when I was young. While I'm sure a good chunk of the fan base is in their 30s/40s, I'd imagine there would be a better way to go about introducing new people to the series rather than this...
        Last edited by Spera01; 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I'm 16. But I got into Resident Evil from watching my dad (who is now in his 40s) and my brother (who is now 29) play it while I was growing up. My dad probably couldn't care less about Resident Evil nowadays, but my brother still likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Renard View Post
            I'm 16. But I got into Resident Evil from watching my dad (who is now in his 40s) and my brother (who is now 29) play it while I was growing up. My dad probably couldn't care less about Resident Evil nowadays, but my brother still likes it.
            I am the same age as your brother, and I still love playing them.

Comment

I think it's safe to say that if you're on your 40's and still playing videogames you won't be ougrowing them.

Comment

Slow news is slow. I read this when I read the Capcom IR special on the Biohazard/RE franchise when this was published a couple of months ago in October... I did mention this on a thread somewhere back then, maybe the news one, but it was overlooked. There is some other "gems" in that related to how they also see the userbase and what other ways they plan to make the series better in there as well... none of it sounds like good planning.

Capcom should know better already anyway. They cross promoted other games in the past to attract audiences (anyone else remember the DIESEL clothing brand crossover with Devil May Cry 2 aside from me? Didn't think so... see how well that worked). I don't see this working that well either.

Edit - Oh, I see they "updated" the item on the 26th, thats why people are thinking this is new...
                Last edited by Rombie; 12-28-2013, 03:32 AM.

Comment

So they thought RE6 was appealling to people in their 30s/40s?
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

This is an excuse for Capcom to make shittier games.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still in my twenties, so, fuck you CAPCOM.
                      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                        So they thought RE6 was appealling to people in their 30s/40s?
                        Whoa there Dracarys, don't you go bringing logic into this. You might hurt Capcoms feelings.

Comment

Not a new thing for them at all. I just wish they'd get an audience by trying to make appealing games. Maybe that's why Jake was in RE6. To do backflips or some shit.

Young people would want to be a big fan before outlaying $400 on a watch or $1300 on a jacket

I'm in my late 20s too. But I'm guessing going by the ratings on the games most of us started a lot sooner than we should have.
                          sigpic

Comment

Utter bollocks, as proved by the gulf in enthusiasm between the followers of this community and the Spanish speaking teenage communities of Resident Evil Center & Resident Evil Database, but I expect nothing less from the tired, irrelevant, inept company that Capcom have become.
                            Last edited by GEORGE TREVOR; 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

There's actually a pretty curious thing you notice when you see people of certain usergroups purchase and play games, and when it comes to the more laid back and older audience who basically picked up RE1 back in the days ... many of them don't buy games often (a single title can last them for months, if not years or an entire console generation), they don't neccessarily buy things on launch day, out of hype, or spend hours debating last minute details online, and probably most important of all; their complete lack of care for pretty much everything related to the games industry in general (or spare time to devote to such actions, when their time is usually split between work, family, and "night off") means that they have completely different views and opinions in terms of what's considered "good" or "bad". The easiest difference to notice is that they often don't play by the standards or rules set by a specific genre or franchise, they play by the individual rules* set by each individual game -- and they tend to judge games individually too -- and the franchise they've commited themselves to is basically seen as something that offers most, if not all, the gameplay variety they could ask for (or care for).

So I believe they are correct in that what they need to do is win over the "younger crowd" -- doing fashion/design tie-ins might not be the way, depending on what extent we're talking about here, but then again ... it's not like it's the first time they've done stuff like this ... and to this date, I'd dare say Square-Enix is the only publisher at the tip of my tongue to've done anything straight out offensive with their inclusion of designer clothing (basically jumping straight past the point of tastefully including branded clothing like Capcom's done before with ... say the DMC franchise, to pretty much getting the expensive designer bullshit only intented for the catwalk perverts ... along with scoring a deal on the creepy fashion models whilst they're at it.)

Comment

Working...
                              X