Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make Resident Evil 1 for the Game Boy Color functional from start to end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make Resident Evil 1 for the Game Boy Color functional from start to end?

So I have been meaning to get and play the GBC port of Resident Evil.

I tried finding a similar topic here, but couldn't find it. So maybe someone could help me here.

I heard that at a certain point (like the guardhouse) where you can't pass because of some coding issue or something? I am pretty sure the game is functional and can be finished right? What would I have to edit and maybe if someone could help give details on how to get the game to be mostly functional from start to end? What would I have to edit to get it to work?

I would like to play this on the VBA emulator on my Wii, would I have to do anything extra (editing and coding wise) vs playing on a PC emulator? I have played a little bit on my VBA emulator on the Wii so far, and it wasn't too bad so far.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

"A can of fizz. It's sure to yellow and mellow those things." - Barry Burton

There are a few points at where you cannot progress.

You cannot solve the book puzzle in the guardhouse to enter the Plant 42 fight.
    You cannot solve the crate/stepladder puzzle to go through the vents in the laboratory.

I don't know which memory values you need to edit to get through, but somebody made a patch. There was a link to it in the original post in the release thread on Assemblergames.com - it's probably dead now though.

The game cannot be "finished", there's no ending scene.
    lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
      There are a few points at where you cannot progress.

You cannot solve the book puzzle in the guardhouse to enter the Plant 42 fight.
      You cannot solve the crate/stepladder puzzle to go through the vents in the laboratory.

I don't know which memory values you need to edit to get through, but somebody made a patch. There was a link to it in the original post in the release thread on Assemblergames.com - it's probably dead now though.

The game cannot be "finished", there's no ending scene.
      Ok so there is a patched version then? I wonder if the one I downloaded a while ago is the patched version, or do I have to manually patch it myself? I see the game can't be finished, so what would be the farthest I could go where I technically beat the game? Thanks agian!

Comment

Huh, I didn't realize you're that "Gaiden is canon" guy.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          is funny how many resident evil gameplay take place on boat. maybe is more gameplay and story on boat than any other location? gaiden, heroes never die, revelations and there is large boat level in 5-6 too. so much boat!

Comment

Originally posted by AJM Ruler View Post
            I see the game can't be finished, so what would be the farthest I could go where I technically beat the game? Thanks agian!
            I think you can go all the way to the heliport.
            As for the question about the patch, I don't know, I never tried it. Don't know how it works.
            lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Here ya go, fella:

Resident Evil for GameBoy Color was cancelled at 90% of development. The ROM was later released to t
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

So you finally recognized me, huh? Nice to know the great News Bot remembers me, lol. Oh and yes, Gaiden = Canon.

Originally posted by B.Zork View Post
                is funny how many resident evil gameplay take place on boat. maybe is more gameplay and story on boat than any other location? gaiden, heroes never die, revelations and there is large boat level in 5-6 too. so much boat!
                I completely agree, and it all started with Gaiden too. It started the trend. It truly was an under-appreciated gem, just like 1.5 will be as well.

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                You the man MarkGrass! So I assume this is a patched version then? So I don't have to edit anything myself? If so, then this is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks. Time to play some RE1 on the GBC then!

Funny because one of the first videos I ever uploaded on YouTube 7 years ago was some game footage of RE1 for the GBC which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0F1pymC78E (Forgot it has gotten over 237k views last time I checked, wow, lol.)

Thanks for everyone's help again!

Comment

Funny because one of the first videos I ever uploaded on YouTube 7 years ago was some game footage of RE1 for the GBC which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0F1pymC78E (Forgot it has gotten over 237k views last time I checked, wow, lol.)

Thanks for everyone's help again!
                  Dat's mah footage, "rebranded" by the old rehorror lolz. It was discovered around 2003/2004 I think, and was the first time we had seen RE:GBC moving. Is it the same as the beta that was released? I never even bothered to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                    Dat's mah footage, "rebranded" by the old rehorror lolz. It was discovered around 2003/2004 I think, and was the first time we had seen RE:GBC moving. Is it the same as the beta that was released? I never even bothered to play it.
                    YouTube was still young back then, so I decided to show it to a wider audience. In the About section, I still credited the original source.

I always wondered what happened to the old REHorrer.net, it was one of my favorite Resident Evil sites back in the day.

Still amazing thinking that RE1 finally can be played on the GBC. Makes me almost want TimeWalkGames to do a repo cart with original packaging like they have done for the likes of Sweet Home for the NES. Too bad they closes down.

As for the footage itself, it is pretty much the same exact footage from the Beta released game.
                    Last edited by AJM Ruler; 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

YouTube was still young back then, so I decided to show it to a wider audience. In the About section, I still credited the original source.

I always wondered what happened to the old REHorrer.net, it was one of my favorite Resident Evil sites back in the day.

Still amazing thinking that RE1 finally can be played on the GBC. Makes me almost want TimeWalkGames to do a repo cart with original packaging like they have done for the likes of Sweet Home for the NES. Too bad they closes down.

As for the footage itself, it is pretty much the same exact footage from the Beta released game.
                      I meant REhorror wasn't the original source for that vid. And "relyonhorror"/rehorror both suck hard.

Comment

double post.

becuz slow server
                        Last edited by Scream; 02-28-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I meant REhorror wasn't the original source for that vid. And "relyonhorror"/rehorror both suck hard.
                          Haha, most true words I've seen on this forum in a while.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Is it the same as the beta that was released?
                            No, this one is not out there
                            lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Haha, most true words I've seen on this forum in a while.
                              Heh. Well I don't really remember its very early history but I remember it being a huge spam ad near the end of its days. I also vaguely recall hearing about it being sold or something, so I can see why they moved into horror in general if money is their thing. Still an awful name though.

Good to know it's a different beta, what's the difference between the two then?

Comment

Working...
                              X