Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
    ...and it pretty much ends there.

r3000a MIPs machine code simply isn't compatible with either PC or DreamCast... but for what it's worth, at least you'll be able to burn something to a disc and play it in a real PSone console.
    idk what r3000a MIPs machine code is, but all my mod is are tim files, character models, rdt's, fmv's, and enemy/player sounds. and changing starting inventory. so far on the dreamcast the only thing not figured out is the enemy sounds(burned and tested on a real console). i thought everything like that was cracked on the playstation? i got sherry working with the pistol and all that just by making small adjustments everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by J0shuaKane View Post
      idk what r3000a MIPs machine code is, but all my mod is are tim files, character models, rdt's, fmv's, and enemy/player sounds. and changing starting inventory. so far on the dreamcast the only thing not figured out is the enemy sounds(burned and tested on a real console). i thought everything like that was cracked on the playstation? i got sherry working with the pistol and all that just by making small adjustments everywhere.

You're confusing runtime data (textures, sounds, RDTs, etc.) with actual code.

This is an example of r3000a MIPs machine code:

This is what a PSone exectuable looks like in assembly... and modifying and/or creating my own code (both MIPs and c code injection) is responsible for everything that you've seen in this thread.

Quick-turn, new disc layout, new Debug Menu, extra data, H&K MC51 weapon AI, new/custom hitboxes, new/custom Item mix tables, new/imported backgrounds+masks, etc - quite literally everything is possible as a result of my custom programming.

That said, yes, everything has been reverse-engineered for the PSone version, and only the PSone version. The DreamCast runs on a completely different architecture and PSone machine code (r3000a MIPs) just simply is compatible with that machine, or any PC.

Most runtime data is cross-compatible, because the original programmers made it so. It wouldn't make any sense to recreate tons of RDTs, etc., just because a game got ported from one machine to another. The only exception to this is usually sound/music data, no matter the game, because these machines have different hardware to handle how sound is produced. Hence why PSone utilizes Sony ADPCM, where the PC version uses standard WAV, and GameCube uses Nintendo ADPCM, and so on.

The application I've developed will produce runtime data that will work with any version, but again, the code isn't compatible. I currently don't, and probably never will have the interest to do anything of the sort for the DreamCast, GameCube, PC and/or any other machine that this game has been ported to.

That said, if you want to utilize any of the custom stuff you've seen in this thread, you are limited to only the PSone.
      Last edited by MeganGrass; 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM.
      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• alright, like i could make a zombie emd slot for every classic re character to make an undead appearance, but only with the specific hardware it was programmed for. sounds good to me!!! would give people reasons to play the different versions XD

psone probably being the best because it is the most accessible and also portable.

thanks for the taking the time to respond like that. it does help. getting my stuff to work is the easy part. its a community project that this is best suited for, and will require real work. i didnt mean to DE-rail the thread with my stuff.

Comment

• A great reversal!
          Well the project is in good health.
          Thank you.
          sigpic

Comment

• I see (and hear) what you did there. Good stuff.
            sigpic
            "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

• The Flag Editor is complete.

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Another video showcasing various debugging utilities, such as Event Test, Message Test, Sound Test and Animation Test.

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• A really old video showing ROOM309, in all it's scripted glory.

Absolutely nothing is "final" here, just some testings of various scripting opcodes.

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Showcasing data from Bio3 running in the Bio2 engine, and a new debugging feature - invincible, which prevents enemies from attacking the player.

This was done out of boredom and the lulz, don't take it too seriously.

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                      A really old video showing ROOM309, in all it's scripted glory.

Absolutely nothing is "final" here, just some testings of various scripting opcodes.

That is an extremely impressive cutscene, MG.

Comment

• I'm in shock.
                        You've done incredible things.
                        sigpic

Comment

• holy shit mark!

you just made me want to work on the psone exclusively. that debug feature is unreal

Comment

• Originally posted by J0shuaKane View Post
                            holy shit mark!

you just made me want to work on the psone exclusively. that debug feature is unreal
                            I assure you, it's very real.

So, I wrote a small function to convert Bio1 RDTs to Bio2 format:

The entire game has been converted for use in the Bio2 engine. The only things that aren't present are Camera Sprites/Masks and Event Scripting, however, everything can easily be scripted and played entirely in the Bio2 engine.

...no clue what to do with this, really, though I have to admit that playing Bio1 in an updated engine seems very tempting.
                            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Updated/Complete Flag Editor, now user friendly.

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Seeing Leon at the hospital made me realize how much of a missed opportunity showcasing more of the town in RE2 was. The city itself was probably my favorite thing about RE3 in regard to setting.
                                sigpic
                                "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Working...
                                X