Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow News - Not everyone hates the Resident Evil movies (at least not ALL of them)

THIA Staff

Default Slow News - Not everyone hates the Resident Evil movies (at least not ALL of them)

Turns out not everyone hates Paul W.S. Anderson's movie series inspired by the Resident Evil franchise.

According to an answer given during an AMA (ask me anything) with James Cameron over on Reddit, James Cameron revealed that his nr. 1 guilty pleasure on the movie front was in fact, surprisingly enough, Resident Evil (the first one). So there you have it! Straight from the keyboard strokes of the director of some of Hollywood's finest!

Source:
    I am James Cameron. AMA.

#55 Oswell E. Spencer Wrathborne's Avatar

Goddammit James...Dont encourage that shitpile to keep making these pieces of "movies".
    Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Well, he said "just the first one" and we're talking about guilty pleasure. I don't think it's encouraging Anderson to make more RE movies.

I still think its funny that he likes the first one, because lots of the sets, and even the character Rain, were just lifted from his film 'Aiens".
    Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

that's why he likes it

The first was the best in the series easily.

2 and 3 were meh. Afterlife and Retribution were the best after the first one.

For a brief moment I forgot the atrocious "film" series existed.

Thanks a bunch for reminding me, Carnivol.

I own the first on dvd. If you pay careful attention there are few shots in the movie that are well done. Fixed cam watching style.
    But the plot stinks and has nothing to do with RE.

I wouldn't dare buy or watch the sequels ever again.

#21 Hunter Gamma

Am I alone in thinking the RE CGI movies were awful as well?

Nope. I skipped the second one due to how bad the first was.

Quote Originally Posted by djepic112
    Am I alone in thinking the RE CGI movies were awful as well?
    Degeneration was awful. Terrible CG, cheesy and convulated.

Damnation on the other hand was very enjoyable and close to what you would expect from a movie adaptation of the video game. Those fights against the B.O.W's were really well made even if the plot was a bit confusing.

I view Damnation as the only decent RE movie.
    Last edited by Grem; 04-13-2014 at 06:47 AM.

THIA Staff

This is the best news I've seen on here this year. Always had a certain fondness for the RE1 movie that made me rewatch it quite a few times. Yeah it's not really RE but not bothered too much...

Quote Originally Posted by mister 888 View Post
    Cameron made crap after T2.So his opinion is now pointless.
    I dunno, I rather liked Titanic and True Lies. Avatar on the other hand...

Well, thatīs a "guilty pleasure", Cameron admits the movie is not actually any great but he still like it.

I think the first RE movie is not that bad, it worked fine for a first installment to the series, and I liked the fact it had his own story and characters and doesnīt fuck on the actual game characters and scenes.

1 was interesting, Apocalypse was just acceptable, and Extinction was the ultimate warning to tell me "Do not watch this guyīs movies anymore", and thatīs what I did it.

Degeneration and Damnation are fine if you think them as OVAs. They werenīt meant to hit theathers around the world and compete among the best movies from the history.

Quote Originally Posted by Scream View Post
    Avatar was a great Special effects film, really pushed the envelope, the story though was a little meh. One thing I did really like, that not a lot of people noticed, is it had been over 10 years since Cameron directed a film and he didn't use any of the newer filming techniques. No bullet time, no shakey cam, or quick cuts.

He didn't modify his own style or try to reinvent himself, which was really refreshing to see. I wasn't sure what to expect from him since he hadn't directed a film since 1999, but he stuck to his own style. Which was really nice to see.
    Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Opposites attract, I guess.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

#41 Kipepeo

I watched the first RE movie in theaters... about 4 times. I also really like the Retribution film, as well.

I have a certain appreciation for the seriousness of the first film, and love the corny moments in Retribution (Barry, I'm looking at you, pal).

The soundtrack are cherished, as well. Marilyn Manson's tunes are absolutely haunting and fit perfect - you can never go wrong with that guy.

Different strokes and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Scream View Post
    Titanic is a fantastic movie, very superb.

True Lies is hilarious, at times... for example, the moment when Harry daydreams about breaking that car salesman's nose.
    Last edited by MarkGrass; 04-13-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    I'm a blackstar.

i remember in the back of RE2 there was a contest to be in the resident evil movie. i was so excited and waited anxiously for years, only to be treated to the absolute worst zombie film i had ever seen. horrible. how long until the first zombie battle? lame ass characters couldn't relate to any of them. nothing like resident evil at all.

hollywood lol. the only way we will ever get a decent resident evil movie now is from an independent b movie company, like those guys who posted those clips from their movie here.

not to mention the acting was shit. idk when "drama" became "acting" but that seems to be the standard anymore. make people all scared and crying all the time. fucking ruined zombies, same fate as vampires except its the people still alive who suck. fuck the resident evil movies, they are just twilight with zombies, and had the same impact.

/rant. im going to go watch the dead next door.

The entire first film is basically a boring, forgettable, PG-13 version of "Aliens".
    There are no characters, there are just basic tropes running around, dying like idiots. Was very sad to see the film make as much as it did back in 2002, because it wasn't anything worth watching and it started one of the worst movie franchises ever.

THIA Staff

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrass View Post
    Titanic is a fantastic movie, very superb.
    Did you watch the recent 3D remastering? Damn, that thing is gorgeous. Maybe it's because it's one of the first 3D movies I watched fully at home, but it really popped out and felt like I was there almost. Way better than Avatar 3D.. The only other 3D movie I enjoyed so much was a Final Destination movie (I forget which), haha, great ridiculous death scenes.

#49 Giant Majini

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathborne View Post
    The entire first film is basically a boring, forgettable, PG-13 version of "Aliens".
    I think this is exactly why Cameron finds it a guilty pleasure. It's basically his own film's plot rehashed with zombies but not that well done :p
    Last edited by Rombie; 04-14-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information