Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    I think it's very possible. The babies are nothing more than a scaled down Neptune, plus the whole polycount can be massively decreased by untriangulating the original PSX models. I don't remember the exact amount of faces Neptune has, but if I could pull off four T-002 in a room with no lag, five sharks shouldn't be a problem. The real question is: how to make them worth a damn? Unless I turn them into a huge pain in the ass that constantly follows you around the Aqua Ring.
    I'm not sure how the AI works for Neptune but I would do this:

-3-5 Neptunes
    -Speed up their swimming
    -Shark will attack [bite] until player is in caution (either yellow or orange), and then auto-kill after in caution/organge. Similar to the Hunter's moveset.

EDIT: Looks like you already have this in mind. I posted this right after I saw your reply to my comment.
    Last edited by Chris' Boob; 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, that looks a whole lot cooler than I thought. :O
      The game that keeps on giving ;)

I think Neptune can be quite a scary enemy actually as you are moving slow and the camera angles make it difficult to see what's ahead IIRC. Maybe have it so they're really fast and can kill you in two hits, and then have the water slowly draining.. (so they slow down gradually) that could be tense
      Last edited by Scream; 01-04-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• Why not do more along the lines of the REmake? So the baby sharks are larger, more normal sized - and Neptune is bigger as well (maybe not as big as in REmake, but at least so he doesn't look ''normal'' sized and that would make him scarier?
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scream View Post
          The game that keeps on giving ;)

I think Neptune can be quite a scary enemy actually as you are moving slow and the camera angles make it difficult to see what's ahead IIRC. Maybe have it so they're really fast and can kill you in two hits, and then have the water slowly draining.. (so they slow down gradually) that could be tense
          How about when you get to the aqua ring... The timer stops for a little bit and the sharks are already loose. But instead of pressing a button to lower the water... The water is already draining although slowly... Like scream said.

It's like a test of survival until the water is completely drained.
          sigpic

Comment

• I loved the puzzle on the DS where the water burst and flooded.. or did it poison, I forget..
            "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
              Why not do more along the lines of the REmake? So the baby sharks are larger, more normal sized - and Neptune is bigger as well (maybe not as big as in REmake, but at least so he doesn't look ''normal'' sized and that would make him scarier?
              The original Aqua Ring is way too small, that's the main issue with having larger sharks swimming around the place. I think REmake made a lot of changes there, and it's not just the size.

Originally posted by Scream View Post
              Maybe have it so they're really fast and can kill you in two hits, and then have the water slowly draining.. (so they slow down gradually) that could be tense
              Originally posted by Chris' Boob View Post
              It's like a test of survival until the water is completely drained.
              I guess it could be a nice survival challenge if well thought, especially because of the tense moments. I'll look into the possibility of implementing this at some point.

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
              I loved the puzzle on the DS where the water burst and flooded.. or did it poison, I forget..
              It uses poison and it also expands that button puzzle for locking the control room.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Gemini : I thought you might realize the chapter of wesker fleeing the mansion with Crinsom head is lisa trevor, with the timer before the palace explodes?

Comment

• ^ I won't bother with Lisa one bit, but an escape from the laboratory all the way back to the mansion front door could work.

In other news I've been messing around with VFX as usual:

This is more or less a recreation of what the Saturn Battle Game has for mission results (IIRC western editions don't have a rotating title logo). Imagine it with stats of what you've done an a little rotating statue indicating your final rank, à la Dino Coliseum. While this looks extremely simple it actually took a lot of tries to make it render properly and with no clipping.

Also more VFX crap:

Testing out a sphere-shaped grid for selecting missions and bosses. This idea come from Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
                  Last edited by Gemini; 01-11-2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Taking influence from MvC2? That's something I didn't expect, by far one of my favourite games, it looks great! In addition, perhaps you could create challenges for unlokcables for each stage that once completed you get a gold boarder surrounding the stage icon, just like you get for unlocking the alternate colours on the MvC2 character select.

Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• looks very nice
                      hope it's all going well for you.

Comment

I haven't done any benchmarks on platforms different than the PlayStation
                        Not sure if you would be interested, but there is a website that is hosting the full Dreamcast Dev Tools...

Spoiler:

I am actually going to be experimenting with it myself (As soon as I can get a usb mouse for my old PC running XP SP3)

so yea, who knows... maybe you could toss out a Dreamcast version one day...

PM me for the link~ ;)

also, I read somewhere in here something about possibly redoing Gaiden? I am a somewhat huge fan of Gaiden (Even tried doing my own version some years back, albeit in 2D) I would love to see a gaiden remake somewhere down the line...
                        Last edited by Ss4gogeta0; 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM.
                        Game Dev, GTA/RE Modder, Biohaze Oldie

Comment

• Originally posted by Ss4gogeta0 View Post
                          Not sure if you would be interested, but there is a website that is hosting the full Dreamcast Dev Tools...
                          Like I said before, there's really no need for a Dreamcast port. PC and PSP should have plenty more usefulness, especially because I can actually test on both and I'm more familiar with their hardwares.

also, I read somewhere in here something about possibly redoing Gaiden? I am a somewhat huge fan of Gaiden (Even tried doing my own version some years back, albeit in 2D) I would love to see a gaiden remake somewhere down the line...
                          This is the project you're referring to.
                          Last edited by Gemini; 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ss4gogeta0 View Post

Spoiler:

I am actually going to be experimenting with it myself (As soon as I can get a usb mouse for my old PC running XP SP3)

so yea, who knows... maybe you could toss out a Dreamcast version one day...

PM me for the link~ ;)

Gemini is pretty much stricly doing it for PSX and PSP. That doesn't mean it can't be done however.

As to your comment in regards to Gaiden....I'm the guy you'd be looking for. The project is live and well though I may have neglected to keep it updated. Don't worry, the team will post an update in the near future ^_-. Now I won't keep spamming Gemini's topic with my project. Reply to mine if you have questions.

Comment

• Brief update:

I resumed programming Purple-chan, who is now a bit less of a mess, but still sucks quite badly.

In other news, there may be some updates on Yawn. He could end up looking a bit different, as in "remade" with a look slightly different than giant green sausage of crap. Another good news is that that engine still keeps it together with 3 trunks working differently.

Comment

In other news, there may be some updates on Yawn. He could end up looking a bit different, as in "remade" with a look slightly different than giant green sausage of crap. Another good news is that that engine still keeps it together with 3 trunks working differently.
                                Excellent news Gemini! Yawn definitely deserves an uplifting, can't wait to see him in action!
                                May I ask if it is going to be a completely new model, or is it going to be similar to another incarnation, such as later games, like the umbrella chronicles variation?
                                Last edited by Getta robo; 02-10-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X