No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus, I hope you can get the textures/uv map to look proper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      Ok, Ticks are going to be in BTM for sure:

Their model is quite sweet and doesn't look an awful lot like the Hunter's, like I initially thought (they look more like a mantis and those spikes are a nice touch). If I can bake the object and generate a satisfying uv map from the Saturn mess, then I have a new enemy for Survival mode.

I haven't decided yet what to use. It depends entirely on how much we're willing to change the sound sets, but so far they work pretty well for 32 bit graphics. If we were to bump up the assets and make them more realistic, then I would definitively want to replace the whole sound library to avoid goofy effects.
      The original Biohazard? So is this a beta enemy?

Comment

• Baking kinda did the trick with that mess of a texture and the non-existent uv map:

Still gotta fix a few rough edges in the uv map leaving some sections outside of the map, but so far all's good. It's nothing manual tweaks can't fix.

Speaking of uv maps, there is apparently support for them on the Saturn, but it's considered part of something called a "graphics enhancer". Is that a piece of extra hardware? I remember somebody over at Assembler mentioning that used for the prototype Saturn Shenmue to make the game run with a great amount of detail, but given the game was never released I'm not even sure if such a device even exists.

Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
        Gemini you may as well for the heck of it throw 1 or 2 Ticks in the lab since it would be a good place to put them.
        I'm not sure, they are not exactly canonic enemies (they seem to be briefly mentioned just in some RE3 book, more info on this lead would help). Then again, I could always add them to the side stuff Vincent produced while working on Hypnos and be fine with them roaming the labs or the mansion.

Originally posted by BiohazardFE View Post
        Wow, brilliant work with finding these, they were known but never accessible in this manner. I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing more from this project over all.
        It wasn't exactly too hard to put together an extractor as soon as I realized out how the Saturn works for realz, even with a complete lack of info on those wonky formats. Good thing I had done a lot of research years ago with the Saturn Symphony of the Night.

Originally posted by geluda View Post
        Where are these models from?
        They all come from the Sega Saturn port of RE1.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Wow. o_0 Why on earth were these assets left inside the Saturn version? Perhaps the team involved spent less time purging unused content from the disc?

Comment

• the fuck is a tick?
            this is interesting

Comment

• The tick is a Sega Saturn exclusive - it utilizes the hunter animations, iirc... feel free to do a Google/YouTube search.

Other exclusives were a zombified Wesker, iirc, and a second Tyrant that is golden in appearance.

...and absolutely none of it is canon, but pretty neat, nonetheless.
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                Texture mapping is performed only by having a slice of texture associated to a polygon through the attribute table.
                Seems like the Saturn was designed to make harder the work of developers.

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                Speaking of uv maps, there is apparently support for them on the Saturn, but it's considered part of something called a "graphics enhancer". Is that a piece of extra hardware? I remember somebody over at Assembler mentioning that used for the prototype Saturn Shenmue to make the game run with a great amount of detail, but given the game was never released I'm not even sure if such a device even exists.
                Yeah, I heard is an expansion cartridge to put in the slot of memory cards and ram extension. The only reference to that, was like you said the development of Shenmue. But who knows, maybe this was just one of the improvement in the developers kit (instead of a new peripheral) Sega did during the life of Saturn. That textured tick rocks!!!
                Last edited by The_Wes; 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM.
                Si guisante se dice "pea" y chiflado "nut", ¿Un cacahuete "peanut" es un chiflado de los guisantes?

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
                  Wow. o_0 Why on earth were these assets left inside the Saturn version? Perhaps the team involved spent less time purging unused content from the disc?
                  Don't tell me you didn't know about the ticks in the saturn version of the game :- o

Comment

• ^ never owned the saturn version - but seen videos. Their dying noise is creepy lol
                    "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Wes View Post
                      Seems like the Saturn was designed to make harder the work of developers.
                      Well, the exporters took care of turning the texture into that stuff the Saturn uses natively, so modelers would still be using regular uv mapping during the work. During export the tools would bake a texture for each polygon and generate little slices so that the surface matches the polygon, including distortions due to degenerated quads magically looking like triangles.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                        The tick is a Sega Saturn exclusive - it utilizes the hunter animations, iirc... feel free to do a Google/YouTube search.

Other exclusives were a zombified Wesker, iirc, and a second Tyrant that is golden in appearance.

...and absolutely none of it is canon, but pretty neat, nonetheless.

Seems the Tick is actually semi canon, though.

Comment

• Always a bit funny to see how some people respond to prototypes, despite, in some cases, hardly ever scratching more than the mere surface of what the original trilogy has to offer

Comment

• The Ticks, although they were exclusive to the Sega Saturn version, I wonder if they would ever bring them back - unless of course they're not canon.

To see them in Behind the Mask would be interesting, keep up the great work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                              Always a bit funny to see how some people respond to prototypes, despite, in some cases, hardly ever scratching more than the mere surface of what the original trilogy has to offer
                              I had the Saturn version and completed it a few times (when it wasn't busy crashing randomly), though I still remember hardly nothing about them. Do they attack the same as a hunter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scream View Post
                                I had the Saturn version and completed it a few times (when it wasn't busy crashing randomly), though I still remember hardly nothing about them. Do they attack the same as a hunter?
                                Yeah. They're pretty much just reskinned hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X