Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    While HUNK is easily one of the most likable characters he doesn't fit in Gun Survivor. The UT commander has to die at some point according to the original scenario, so a replacement with a character we know is alive many years after the Sheena Island incident wouldn't work.
    Well in the canon the UT Commander doesn't die at all. He sets of the self-destruct and flees the island as the only survivor. Sounds like he fits Hunk perfectly to me. If he dies in a non-canon branching scenario then I don't see the issue. I'd say it just adds a touch more depth having a known character lead the unit and a simple human-led clean up crew rather than yet another faceless human character we never see again and some weird genetic mutant things that dissolve upon death. It also doesn't affect the canon in any way. But that's just me.

News Bot is right about the β Hetero Nonserotonin. It was needed exclusively for the Hypnos Project and not to mass-produce the T-103. You need to make that clear in the files as 90% of the fan base still believe otherwise with the Sergei clones etc.

Originally posted by Renard View Post
    How do they know each other? A rookie cop and a private detective?
    They were prior friends, simple as that.
    Last edited by TheBatMan; 04-25-2014, 06:37 AM.
    "I've got 100 cows."
    "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Originally posted by Renard View Post
      How do they know each other? A rookie cop and a private detective?
      Attended the same police academy, probably. It's never stated. But it's common for private detectives to be former police or academy graduates.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Comment

Whoa, hey. This is awesome. :p

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
          Wow, many thanks to everybody for the warm support! I couldn't believe Gun Survivor had so many fans.
          To me, Gun Survivor had massive potential that Capcom completely and utterly failed to use for whatever reason. While GS ended up falling short as a game, I still enjoy it as a Resident Evil-title, because the story expanded on the mythos so much. The Raccoon City aftermath is touched upon, and the creation of the Tyrants is explained for example. And I always loved the bleak atmosphere, the soundtrack and sound FX, all the lonely, ravaged buildings and the diaries and reports filled with their authors' desperation really managed to create an atmosphere of complete hopelessness. Also, it was downright scary to see from your own perspective how a fukken Tyrant is slowly coming straight at YOU. Wonderful stuff that totally went underutilized. So I'm all for giving Ark Thompson a new chance, it's well deserved.

Playstation, eh? Can you recommend an emulator to run this on?

Comment

It's crazy to think that the seed for the Chronicles series was planted before BIO4. Survior is a bit of a hack job and an unusual title but I quite like it, it puts a completely different spin on survival horror especially for the era. Perhaps it's a shame that it wasn't released for the Sega Saturn. The Chronicles series is actually my favourite series since the original Biohazard games so it feels natural for me to like it. It's a good thing for teams to start projects like this because had you not I might never have tried the game, still a few more titles to go by the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
              It's crazy to think that the seed for the Chronicles series was planted before BIO4. Survior is a bit of a hack job and an unusual title but I quite like it, it puts a completely different spin on survival horror especially for the era. Perhaps it's a shame that it wasn't released for the Sega Saturn. The Chronicles series is actually my favourite series since the original Biohazard games so it feels natural for me to like it. It's a good thing for teams to start projects like this because had you not I might never have tried the game, still a few more titles to go by the looks of it.
              Disregarding the rearrangement of certain plot elements, the Chronicles titles are probably my favorite since the original titles, as well.

I'm certainly not the biggest fan of Survivor... but for what it's worth, the developers did some superb work with 3D modelling of some various areas in the game (for the time-era). They really didn't do a 'hack job', at all, it's just that the PSone and PC ports render the rooms like complete ass. Granted, several areas were lacking and should have been expanded upon, but...

Most areas look pretty decent when rendered properly in a custom engine:

That said, I fully support this project, 100%. It's looking great, thus far, and it may actually turn me onto Survivor... cause I certainly never cared about it, before.

Great job, Gemini!
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

^Somewhere, some disgusting bastard is thinking "Maybe all of Survivor's original assets should be dumped in the Silent Hill engine?" ... and that distusting bastard is me.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  ^Somewhere, some disgusting bastard is thinking "Maybe all of Survivor's original assets should be dumped in the Silent Hill engine?" ... and that distusting bastard is me.
                  Same, it's got SH1 written all over it.

This project, is awesome.
                  I always thought the story was pretty decent, and seeing third person gameplay and the new backgrounds have me very arou--excited.

Out of curiosity, would you be able to run this on a ps3 via emulator?
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Resident Evil Survivor is as bad as I remember it. Seeing Gemini's project made me play it again after more than a decade and it was a plainful reminder why I could never get into this game. The learning curve of the game is extremely off putting due to the bad gameplay design. The controls and camera aren't good for the kind of action the game demands and that is particularly noticeable when you're fighting Cerberus or Hunters. That being said, it's amazing how easier the game gets when you play through it a second time. I don't ever remember playing a game again and feeling such a huge progress over my skills. The routes picked obviously play a part in it but once you get comfortable and used to its gameplay, it's child's play.

There's something of a cult status for Resident Evil Survivor. Understandably so, the setting and locations, the atmosphere and the storyline (aside from the horrible voice-acting) all feel much like a survival horror - and a Resident Evil game. I can also see a lot of influence from past games in it and some ideas drawn from it in future games. Had this game been released like a standard Resident Evil (pre-rendered backgrounds with a 3rd person camera) and polished a bit, it would have been certainly cherished by the fanbase.

The multiple paths ideas, previously addressed by other people, picks up on the classic elements of the Resident Evil games. I liked them a lot, especially because they have a strong influence in your progress and status, but I felt that they were poorly expanded - only one decision affects one cutscene (before fighting Hypnos-Tyrant 1) and one optional battle (after you use the Master Key in the Laboratory). Assuming that Gemini wants to leave this idea intact, there's a lot of untapped potential that can be done with it. Alternately, including all game paths in one single playthrough would greatly increase the length of the game and allow to get everything the first time around - problem is it will most likely kill any replay value unless certain events are randomized or need a particular order to be set (like in Resident Evil 1 or 3).

The enemies and bosses are good. They have the standard behaviours and patterns of a Resident Evil game; they just force the player to figure them out with a messy camera which is not good since it requires a lot of trial and error at the expanse of health. But it's enjoyable to find out how to best approach each enemy, the timing for firing and interrupting their attacks and how to evade them when fighting is not the best option. In that regard, the developing team did a great job.

The ranking system is strangely the best of any Resident Evil. It accounts for time, health used (under the form of First-Aid Sprays), continues [all elements present in previous ranking systems) but also your accuracy and the number of enemies killed. It's no Silent Hill, in terms of complexity or challenge, but a far better approach than the simplistic formula used for the classic games.

Here's my result for my fifth playthrough (second day playing):

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLUS_010.87_26042014_223940_0539.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	403637

I was trying to go for the S Rank using only Handgun A but I seem to have screwed up on my enemy body count.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
                    BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

Whats the fastest time anyone has beat Survivor in? I've beaten it in 40 or so minutes before.
                      My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Hello Gemini,
                        This seems like a very promising project! I would love to help. I have a 10 year singing experience and a I started to do voice acting. I have no "published" worked at the moment, but I am negotiating with two different game developers (in the horror game genre). I have sound clips I could provide of my voice, though I would prefer to record something under your direction. If you're interested, please feel free to contact me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                          Well in the canon the UT Commander doesn't die at all. He sets of the self-destruct and flees the island as the only survivor. Sounds like he fits Hunk perfectly to me. If he dies in a non-canon branching scenario then I don't see the issue. I'd say it just adds a touch more depth having a known character lead the unit and a simple human-led clean up crew rather than yet another faceless human character we never see again and some weird genetic mutant things that dissolve upon death. It also doesn't affect the canon in any way. But that's just me.
                          I'm definitively not a fan of HUNK, meaning I rather have a fresh character for the occasion than something used in almost every freaking entry of the series. As for the canonic part, I'm planning to have him dead to unlock 100% completion of the scenario. Maybe it's not completely canonic, but it makes re-playability a little better and encourages the player to watch every extra scene available in a single playthrough.

News Bot is right about the β Hetero Nonserotonin. It was needed exclusively for the Hypnos Project and not to mass-produce the T-103. You need to make that clear in the files as 90% of the fan base still believe otherwise with the Sergei clones etc.
                          I'll make sure the FILE where it's mentioned gets the full nomenclature used to strip away the utter ambiguity.

Originally posted by Northman View Post
                          Playstation, eh? Can you recommend an emulator to run this on?
                          I haven't done many tests to check emulator compatibility. I know for certain PCSX and PSXjin are not compatible, ePSXe could work, and no$psx seems to run BTM fine.

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                          Out of curiosity, would you be able to run this on a ps3 via emulator?
                          I can't check this one because I don't have a modded PS3, not anymore. Generally speaking the PS3 emulator has higher compatibility than its PSP counterpart, so if I had to take a guess I'd say it should be compatible.

Originally posted by DeadArtist View Post
                          I have sound clips I could provide of my voice, though I would prefer to record something under your direction. If you're interested, please feel free to contact me.
                          You can send a bunch of samples of whatever you'd like in private form; random clips from the original Gun Survivor will do fine, so that I can see which character is more suitable to you voice tone. You can pick up any character, except for Lott (already assigned to Kei_M).
                          Last edited by Gemini; 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                          , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpower View Post
                            Gemini: In the remake of Gun Survivor can do mention Sergei Vladimir in a file? The mass production of T-103's Which Was spearheaded on Sheena Island was based on the initial Sergei clones.

What do you think of a tyrant 103 (Ivan) as guardian of the factory of production of the 103s as a mini-boss is for the protection of the tyrant Hipnos?
                            I absolutely HATE the integration of the Sergei Vladimir storyline! Completely unnecessary!

It takes away the 'evilness' the Umbrella was on how they first conceived the mass production of the T-103.

Comment

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                              I absolutely HATE the integration of the Sergei Vladimir storyline! Completely unnecessary!

It takes away the 'evilness' the Umbrella was on how they first conceived the mass production of the T-103.
                              Sergei's clones have nothing to do with mass-production. The clones were used as human test subjects to develop a variant strain of the t-Virus that could allow more humans to become Tyrants. None of the Tyrants you see in the games are clones of Sergei.
                              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

He likes 'em Tyrant stylish. Definitively not going to add any of that stuff, it's completely unrelated to Gun Survivor. The less this resembles a MUGEN project the better it is, I'm not a fan of Super God Shin Tyrant II Guacamole edition. Another extra rule I apply when I work on my stuff: if it's good and if it's feasible it may get added, but if it's trash it stays in the junkyard.
                                Last edited by Gemini; 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                                , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Working...
                                X