(REQUEST) .PSF to Midi Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (REQUEST) .PSF to Midi Converter

Does this exist at all and to run on Win8?

If not is there any program to show the notes on individual tracks on a .psf file?
    Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM.

Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
    Does this exist at all and to run on Win8?

If not is there any program to show the notes on individual tracks on a .psf file?
    You'll have to rip the SEQ data from the PSF, using snakemeat's VGMtoolbox.

Download VGMToolbox for free. VGMToolbox is a C# based tool to assist VGM collectors and dumpers. It includes tools to extract, optimize, and build VGM formats as well as auditing and exploration utilities.

SEQ data is a standard MIDI file with a special header, use seq2mid (linked below) - it works with virtually every other PSone game out there...

...except Squaresoft's PSone games, which use an updated version of the AKAO format. There's an AKAO SPC2MID converter on that page, as well, but it can only be used for SNES titles.

I have no idea if these tools will work with Win8, however, they should because they are relatively new.
    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Thanks for the tools and they do work however I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly. You wouldn't mind explaining it for me would you? Seems the programs have a bit of a learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
        Thanks for the tools and they do work however I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly. You wouldn't mind explaining it for me would you? Seems the programs have a bit of a learning curve.
        I forgot to mention that if you're looking for Bio1/2 music, only, download biofat:

biofat is a utility to handle multiple file types for multiple games, including: * BioHazard / Re

For Bio1, use the Bio1->HSB->Disassemble option.

For Bio2, use the Bio2->BGM->Disassemble option.

Both options will output the SEQ data for you.

If you're aiming for other games that already have compiled PSF data, either of the following options in VGMtoolbox should work for you:

The 'seq2mid' application is used via command line, whereas usage is as follows (example):

seq2mid main00.seq

^ That should automatically convert 'main00.seq' to 'main00.mid'. Obviously, you'll want to replace the main00.seq text string with whatever file it is that you're working with.

When/if you're wanting to convert the VAB data to something PC friendly (*.dls), follow the instructions at the link below (disregard the SEQ->MID tip there, it's outdated with loveemu's seq2mid application):

Last edited by MeganGrass; 04-27-2014, 11:36 AM.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Does biofat work with 3 and survivor?

What I'm trying to do is get the SEQ data from RE Survivor PSF files so I can see the sheet music for them by converting the SEQ to MIDI. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

UPDATE: Figured it out. Had to use Data extractor then drag that BIN file to get the SEQ. Thanks for the help.
          Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Okay, glad that I could help.

I should probably re-implement Survivor functionality back into biofat, given it's recent surge in popularity. It would be a very simple matter, as I've had the necessary code ready for quite awhile now.

As for Bio3, the SEQ data requires a slight change. Specifically, that data doesn't use standard SDK crap... however, I have taken the liberty to create a PSF rip of Bio3, already, which you can find at the link below:

I'm a blackstar.

Comment

For anyone who wants it, I've provided the SEQ and VAB data for Survivor at the link below.

Download
              Last edited by MeganGrass; 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM.
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                For anyone who wants it, I've provided the SEQ and VAB data for Survivor at the link below.

Please be sure the "Use our Download Manager" option is unchecked and disabled before downloading.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/c85c0515
                Interesting, thanks for it Mark!

Comment

Mark, I could have done the work for you, you know. Thanks for beating me to it. I just hope noone beats me in helping Gemini with the rearrangements. Do you happen to know what music formats ps1 handles. If not maybe you can explain the opposite of the reverse engineering you just taught me. Want to be more knowledgeable in programming.
                  Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the offer, but I've had functionality written to extract all SEQ and VAB data from 'noise.bin' for several years, now - it's a very simple archive file. Not to mention, the automatic conversion of that data to PSF format. Really, I was just surprised that you didn't share your results.

The PSone can handle anything the developer creates for it, with obvious limitation. For example, something highly compressed and designed for PCs would kill the PSone's CPU (MP3, etc). People have done it, however, it's only for showing off proof of concept - certainly not to be used with real game production. That said (Gemini, feel free to correct me), with the exception of CD-DA audio, all stream data must be converted to ADPCM before playback can occur. Hence, every PSone game utilizes ADPCM by default.

In fact, 90% of all audio you've ever heard coming from a PSone is en/decoded in Sony's proprietary ADPCM format. The SPU was specially designed to handle this format with much ease. The other 10% is standard waveform data (*.wav), typically with the extension DA. Again, someone feel free to correct me.

VAB data is constructed of two files - the VH (Header) and VB (Soundbank). The header defines various attributes to apply to the audio streams located in the soundbank, such as reverb, pitch, note, etc. Obviously, this is very useful for standalone sound effects and music samples used in conjunction with Sequence data (*.seq). As you are already aware, SEQ data is standard MIDI with a simplified header. The soundbank (*.vb) is comprised of all raw samples to be used in conjunction with the header (*.vh), where sample pointers are also defined.

XA audio uses a RIFF header similar to that found in standard PC waveform data (*.wav). The header is extended with CDXAfmt text string to define it's status. STR video (bitstream/bs) data uses XA audio for playback, for example. To put it in simple terminology, XA is like WAV, only encoded for the PSone. Therefore, XA file size is typically large and only to be used where necessary (with STR) or if the developer didn't want use sequence format, for whatever reason (Mortal Kombat 3, for example).

There are many code examples that can be found around the web which detail how to properly utilize both XA and VAB data, in addition to the PC applications that were also developed to handle conversion with ease. Also, the Sony PSone SDK (PSY-Q) is a tremendous resource of information and tools (VABtool, etc).
                    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Hey Mark, talking of Survivor, I'm just wonder if you are able to extract enemies from EV_OBJ.DAT and OBJ.DAT, you know?

A last thing, you know if Survivor use RDTs files like RE1-2-3? and if so, where are located? maybe in the STGBGX.BIN files?

Thanks for your attention.

EDIT:
                      If I'm not wrong, I just have extracted a Ark Thompson (EMD?), I will attach it down.

Unfortunately, I can figure where the pointers to the data are...

If you can confirm this are extracted correctly, I can extract all characters and enemies.

Ark.rar
                      Last edited by Dark Biohazard; 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Biohazard View Post
                        Hey Mark, talking of Survivor, I'm just wonder if you are able to extract enemies from EV_OBJ.DAT and OBJ.DAT, you know?

A last thing, you know if Survivor use RDTs files like RE1-2-3? and if so, where are located? maybe in the STGBGX.BIN files?

Thanks for your attention.
                        I can extract that data, yeah... but it won't be of any use to anyone. All model data in this game is in Sony's proprietary HMD format. Unless someone were to create something like a HMD->TMD converter, it'd be pointless.

...and no, Survivor doesn't use the RDT format. Room/area data is, again, HMD formatted model data. No clue about the event scripts, etc.
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I see, that sounds complicated...

I edit my previous post can you take a read?

Can be great if you can add a option to BIOFAT to extract Survivor data, although it may not be useful at the moment, it's interesting anyway.

Thanks for the reply Mark!
                          Last edited by Dark Biohazard; 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

New project for you Mark, HMD to TMD converter. Kidding.

Comment

@DarkBio - It looks like you've extracted the model, I'm not even sure myself.

The pointers are simple: nFile@0x00 followed by the pointers, starting at 0x04.

Currently, only BIGTIM, NOISE and ROOMENV are supported, but I have no plans to support any other archive files from Survivor.

@Cloud - No thanks I have all the necessary documentation, but it's really not a headache that I wish to endure at the moment. Maybe sometime, but not now... no point in seeing 5000 mods for Survivor, it's just bad timing with BTM just recently being announced an all.
                              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X