Outgrowing Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by News Bot
    Outside of the goofy English translations, the games aren't inherently cheesy. Twin Peaks is cheesy, this series is not.
    Well, true, Resident Evil isn't supposed to be cheesy. The series takes itself seriously most of the time. But, sometimes, with the over-the-top action, the one-liners (for this one, english translations perhaps) and some ridiculous situations or mutations it becomes really cheesy.

However, RE is clearly not deep by any means.

Originally posted by News Bot
    The story for this game and REV1 weren't based on classic writers, they are simply referenced within the plot for plot reasons.
    Yeah, but they decided to choose these writers for a reason. And that reasons is : to make the story looks like it's more intelligent that it really is.

I don't think it really adds any kind of "depth" to the games. You can draw some parrallels, but it never crossed my mind to search for similarities between "The Metamorphosis" and Alex's situation for instance.

I think that the references to Kafka are better done in REV2 than The Divine Comedy in REV1, though. But it remains largely superficial. I don't think that REV2 is more "deep" than any other games in the series. We still have a cliché story.
    Last edited by Grem; 05-16-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Referencing other works of fiction isn't intended to make it look deep or more intelligent. It's just references, many works of fiction use elements from other works of fiction in their own stories because they're relevant in some manner. I don't know how you could think of it as a negative.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
        I don't know how you could think of it as a negative.
        French pessimism probably

Comment

• The Kafka stuff was the least of my problems with REV2- I probably shouldn't have brought it up, haha. I am glad, at the very least, that there is an explanation for this, you know.

One small tidbit I was surprised (and glad) to see is the use of a Gun Survivor plot point for a fairly important one in REV2.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post

One small tidbit I was surprised (and glad) to see is the use of a Gun Survivor plot point for a fairly important one in REV2.
            What plot point was that?

Comment

Working...
            X