No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wanting an HD port since the PS3/360 era began. I had pretty much abandoned the notion by this point, then boom.

My favorite game of all time with updated graphics + possible Trophies/Achievements + being able to play it on a console that I actually like = Take my fucking money.

This does need a physical release though.
    Last edited by REmaster; 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Yeah, I think they still have the PSD with a resolution of at least 800x600, as their picture as slightly sharper than the one you can obtain from the originals from the disc.

In the PSD they have all the elements that need different treatment separated into layers, as seen here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	r213_006.png
Views:	1
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	403726

Otherwise they couldn't have done this:

remove the old plants with new one, the one on the left it's a real time 3D model, the other on the right looks suspicious, they are clearly at a higher resolution than the rest of the background.

Character textures seems upscaled too, same noise.

Lazy developers are lazy.

Comment

It's frustrating, as they clearly still have the 3D data - they used it for Umbrella Chronicles (obviously toned things down for the Wii)
        Laziness...
        still might get this anyway - who knows.

And for all the RE noobs (from 4 onwards) - if they complain about 'hard' controls and no ammo .. tough. This isn't for them.. it's for the true RE fans of old, who love survival horror. Capcom need to realize this and reboot the series again to suit this instead.
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

They might be testing the waters as most of us expect, or they might just need some quick RE cash to keep people interested in the franchise, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
            Would Capcom developers really be idiotic enough to render their master backgrounds at a resolution as low as 512x448? I concede that I was initially fooled into thinking that these backgrounds weren't upscaled (but rather rosily filtered to obscure the lack of fine details in the aged models), but these images appear to be upscaled from a higher resolution master. If I had to guess, the original 4:3 masters are 800x600 (SVGA) at the very least, and certainly uncompressed.
            It's not that they rendered the master background at 512x448. It's that they don't have the master backgrounds or the materials used to create them. I wouldn't consider 800x600 "masters" considering they're simply screenshots of the 3D environments which apparently no longer exist. But it is likely they have at least that resolution.

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
            It's frustrating, as they clearly still have the 3D data - they used it for Umbrella Chronicles (obviously toned things down for the Wii)
            Umbrella Chronicles' mansion was a patchwork job. If you look closely, many of the textures are completely different. For the same reason as above. Same case with BIO4 HD. They could have improved the textures quite a bit, but they simply didn't have the original photos the textures were based on-- which several people have tracked down.
            Last edited by News Bot; 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Just thinking about all this upscale background grumbling, didn't see anyone make this note. Going to make a big call on this then. With the exception of the character models, depending on how they're being handled, the backgrounds and game can end up looking better on the previous gen offerings (running 720p rather than 1080p) unless the PS4/XB1 versions offer a switchable display mode between the two resolution options. Thats kinda messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                Has that been officially confirmed by your connections?

Whilst it is the most likely scenario, given Capcom's approaches to porting other RE titles to current gen consoles, the educated guesses I've read up until now, based on the current shots, haven't been convincing enough to completely rule out re-renders. Word from Capcom would obviously overrule all of that.

Jimmy_Jazz, I don't think you've caught my post from earlier on, me and SonicBlue managed to replicate almost exactly the released screenshot that Capcom did.

Stop trying to give Capcom credit, they're doing it wrong, they're lying to us, theoretically trying to get more money than they put in, and they are C(r)apcom.

I'm really trying to see what can be done for them to do this properly! Maybe join the official Capcom forums and make a detailed analyses post so everyone can see? I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                  Jimmy_Jazz, I don't think you've caught my post from earlier on, me and SonicBlue managed to replicate almost exactly the released screenshot that Capcom did.

Stop trying to give Capcom credit, they're doing it wrong, they're lying to us, theoretically trying to get more money than they put in, and they are C(r)apcom.

I'm really trying to see what can be done for them to do this properly! Maybe join the official Capcom forums and make a detailed analyses post so everyone can see? I don't know
                  Oh wow, you guys should go work for Capcom if you know how to make them look as good.

There seems to be some confusion about the difference between the old backgrounds and the new backgrounds. I don't think any of you realize how much work it actually takes to program a game. If you had even a little bit of experience modding REmake or RE2 and understood how the game was programmed consequentially, you could see why they are doing what they did.

1) YES, the new backgrounds are upscaled. But this is not a bad thing, because they actually *do* look better because they are *uncompressed*. They also redid the lighting. Notice how much crisper the new images look, even at the same resolution? You couldn't do this by ripping the data out of the GCN disc. They had to compress the shit out of the backgrounds to get them to fit on two GCN discs. They had to put them on two GCN discs to begin with because there were multiple cutscenes that had alternate camera angles that appeared in the event data at different parts of the game.

2) Camera panning was already done in Resident Evil 0 and it didn't look bad at all. The reason they did this is because they would be forced to go back into whatever program they made the backgrounds in to begin with, and screenshot them all over again. That's just as much work as redeveloping the game from the ground up and wouldn't even be worth it... Especially since it was an already good-looking game to begin with, and has assets that look just as good as games on a PS3 or PS4. The only way you could polish the stuff even further without having to snapshot every single camera angle over again and program the camera transition data for them, is to redo the character models. Which brings me to...

3) The character models are completely redone. Prerendered backgrounds with layer masks would eat up none of the VRAM that would be required by full 3D backgrounds like in RE4 (which still has dogshit visuals compared to this btw).

In conclusion, uncompressed backgrounds + redone character and enemy models = quit complaining about the visuals. They actually do look really good and do the original release justice. Ye of little faith should care more about the game getting released to a new audience that didn't own GCNs or Wiis at the times the games were relevant. Capcom suffered poor sales of this game because it was released on a console that had a completely different install base from the Sony and Sega owners that the games met success with. The scenario design is the game's strong suit, and if Capcom manages to market this game correctly, then it will PROBABLY be used to fund REmake 2. Consider that.

Comment

Let's just assume that they are 'uncompressed backgrounds', either way they are useless since they are upscaled and denoised so horribly!

To be perfectly honest, the 3D models didn't need that much of a change since it is the backgrounds that gains the game's reputation and that it is what advocates the game entirely.

Yes it is nice that they did do that blah, blah, blah, but your 1) and 2) does yell to me laziness. It's not like this is done by one person, this is done by a large group of developers! So your comparison with "experience modding REmake or RE2" is not at all comparable nor is it justified.

Comment

• Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

That's your problem, that you think it's lazy. You don't understand that Capcom doesn't have an unlimited budget for this stuff, do you? Big bad company is trying to get money and doesn't care about the fans, boo hoo, the game looks good and what they did with the scenario design is what they want to show people anyway. I'm fucking happy that this release is happening AT ALL because it means the userbase that was alienated during the switch to Nintendo gets to see and experience that aspect of the game. It's a good fucking gesture.
                      Last edited by Carcinogen; 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• I'm happy myself that this is getting a release but that fell hard so quickly because of the background renders, it doesn't properly warrant a HD remaster or a proper remastering job in itself.

The problem doesn't only rely on laziness, it's the quality, more so the lack of it. You have such a beautiful looking game and all they want to do is not make the most of it? By upscaling and filtering out fine details so they don't exist anymore?? What in the right state of mind does a game company do this? Fair enough with RE4, although disappointed they could've done more effort with those textures, but they do constantly use this game as a mold or as their gold trophy...putting in PR stating it's their best selling RE game, however that game is fully 3D rendered and it does and WILL take sometime to redo everything properly, but don't announce something when you're heart is not really in it.

My other main problem is that, a game that hasn't been on anything else but two generations worth of Nintendo consoles, wouldn't you want to take advantage of the situation of finally been out of that exclusivity and go full out on making this as great as it visually does??? I certainly would. Square-Enix did with KH, KH2, FFX & FFx-2 Microsoft did with Halo: The Master Chief Collection, heck even Nintendo with Zelda!

Comment

• I don't think you get it. There's this thing called 'money', and these developers are paid over a timeframe. It takes too much time to do something like make new prerendered backgrounds for a minimum return. Look at their stocks over the last couple years. Given how much Capcom has suffered after RE6, I think Capcom knows that given the age of the game, it won't sell as well to rerelease an old game. So why should they be ready to put "heart and soul" into anything other than showing people the gameplay aspect? They should be able to break even at least, if not use this to generate hype for REmake 2. It's basic projections and analytics, which a company needs to survive.

Comment

• IT doesn't take that looong just to re-render previously existing backgrounds. Back in 2002/2003 yeah that would be understandable, but we are in 2014, computing power is nowhere like what it was over 10 years ago!

Renders that would've taken hours to do back then will probably take minutes, even in HD. They can go as far as using better rendering techniques such as Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusion, both of which will really shine in the new renders, but leaving it as it is will do perfectly fine. Realistically, they can do all of the re-renderings in a day or few.

We can scrap the "heart and soul" business then, but doing it properly still matters!

Comment

• If you want a gauge of how good the bgs could of looked, take a look at this hq zero pic vs the ingame bg.

Comment

• I was waiting for this to crop up! Hahaha!

But common...this must still be possible! How can we bring this up to their attention?

Comment

Working...
                                X