Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Undead Sega,

You've got some great points, but it's not clear if they relate directly to what I'm saying or what has been covered in the entire thread.

but a simple re-rendering of the backgrounds in a much higher resolution than what it is will definitely solve some of the technical issues that the game somewhat suffers.
    Rendering the backgrounds in a higher res alone would have two noticeable effects. Firstly, the reduction in aliasing on edges and small objects, and the increase of smaller details in the scene. However, it would not solve large texels close to the camera. The only way to eliminate them is to increase the texture resolution.

also believe the console is doing something else to the backgrounds which introduces more artifacting to them (it is evident in the animated ones) which makes them slightly worse than the original files on-disc.
    Regarding the animated backgrounds, what artifacts are you seeing on them that's unique to them?

re-rendering the backgrounds in HD is the right way to do this, why repair something that isnt broke?
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. But as a recap for what we've discussed, Capcom are not re-rendering the backgrounds, but upscaling the original background images. The reason why I've brought texturing is because just re-rendering the backgrounds at a higher res would upgrade the look in some ways (jaggies, smaller details, med - far range textures) but not others (close - medium range textures).

And I have no idea what your point is in the analogy between the remastering of From Russia With Love and the REMake, but to use your words, Capcom are taking the VHS route (upscaling the already rendered backgrounds used) rather than returning to the original negatives (re-rendering the original backgrounds from within 3D software to a higher res).

It's also worth noting that since we don't know what resolution the backgrounds have been upscaled to then we don't know if the 16:9 image is an upscaled a portion of the final 4:3 background or the final 4:3 is downscalled from a higher detail image.
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
      Bring it "as it is" or "how it was made". Think of it like when film studios remaster their films for DVD/Blu-ray that were once originally done for VHS. A 35mm film made in 1963 (my example would be "From Russia With Love" ) that was transferred for VHS in 1997 would've went through a process where that film would be transferred to a high-quality master-tape which will be used for mass production. For the DVD/Blu-ray release, you simply wouldn't use that master-tape for a HD release would you??? No. It would go through a remastering stage where they would dig out the original camera negatives and scanned them in 4K. The results are absolutely outstanding! Baring in mind...the film was made/release in 1963 but it still looks better than when it was original projected on its premiere release and its subsequent analogue/digital Standard-definition releases.

Yeah...I hope that makes sense
      Well, we are HD from a long time ago, but i ask myself whats the resolution from the old master files.

Comment

• Originally posted by yurieu View Post
        Well, we are HD from a long time ago, but i ask myself whats the resolution from the old master files.
        This does not matter, just because the textures of the poly models maybe slightly sub-standard, this does not mean the scene would look like standard-definition.

Also if one was clever, you could utilize some internal filtering like Lanczos or Anisotropic filtering during the 3D software and renderer. This would definitely make some of the lower textures appear much better. You will surprised how well it performs, and plus it's just a minor thing and I insist that nothing needs to be changed, everyhting was done good enough and only ever needs to be rendered at a higher resolution.

Comment

• Originally posted by yurieu View Post
          [speculation]Well, I can tell you that it's most likely greater than 640x480, though probably not by a significant amount. As I said before, 800x600 seems to be in the ballpark.[/speculation]

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
            Also if one was clever, you could utilize some internal filtering like Lanczos or Anisotropic filtering during the 3D software and renderer. This would definitely make some of the lower textures appear much better. You will surprised how well it performs, and plus it's just a minor thing and I insist that nothing needs to be changed, everyhting was done good enough and only ever needs to be rendered at a higher resolution.
            These methods wouldn't make a difference because the backgrounds are rendered at a higher resolution with textures are full resolution, then the final image downscaled to fit the game's final resolution.

Those filtering methods are used to extract more data out of lower resolution images that have been filtered down from a much higher res source and not touched up afterwards. [EDIT] Just to clarify, Lanczos is for downscaled images, Anisotropic takes multiple mip levels and blurs between them based on a variety of different settings.
            Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 11-25-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• The game is out in Japan now. Any uploaded gameplay footage yet?

Comment

• Well, my copy has shipped.

Spoiler:
                Last edited by Dracarys; 11-27-2014, 04:10 AM.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Originally posted by djepic112 View Post
                  The game is out in Japan now. Any uploaded gameplay footage yet?
                  Carcinogen was playing it on Twitch last night on the 360. He did play it on the PS3 for about 20 minutes but the controller presets had the buttons messed up. The best layouts all seemed to have circle as use/examine but then when it took you into the menu & if you pressed circle again it cancelled the action (quit you out of the menu) rather than use/confirm pickup of the item. So it was Circle to pick up but then when in menu X to use/confirm pickup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                    These methods wouldn't make a difference because the backgrounds are rendered at a higher resolution with textures are full resolution, then the final image downscaled to fit the game's final resolution.
                    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Downscaling usually introduces a lot of noise on prerendered graphics, and as a matter of fact CAPCOM rendered all their assets to the intended resolution straightaway. Still, I honestly doubt their texture library was so poor that HD resolutions would make them look like junk, at least on REmake. RE3 was kind of a different case and it shows how bad the backgrounds look at double the resolution with no RGB555 conversion. Anyways, even if the textures were pretty bad from the go, a real upscale would still look great because their meshes are so high poly they have a lot of detail in the geometry rather than on simple textures.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• He's talking about using those filtering methods on the textures prior to rendering the room, not on the rendered image before or after downscaling

"you could utilize some internal filtering like Lanczos or Anisotropic filtering during the 3D software and renderer"

Comment

• Well, in that case it makes sense. Then again, usually you'd want to create prescaled textures for lower resolutions, because it helps rendering a lot faster than simply enabling AA with bicubic reduction (what CAPCOM used) and produces less resize noise. It wouldn't surprise me if CAPCOM had 2K or 4K textures on REmake and even in that case HD rendering would produce massively good quality pics.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Rendering time? I can't speak for all CG companies or dev studios, but it's pretty common to have rendering automated so that everything is rebuilt on a regular basis (ideally once or twice a day) and you don't worry about individual render times unless it's near a deadline and you need a specific fix.

Comment

• Terrible font for such a fancy game

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem título.png
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	403835

Comment

• FluffyQuack first impressions video:

And mine has shipped
                              Last edited by CODE_umb87; 11-27-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Nope. Sorry I've cancelled your order. You know you aren't allowed to enjoy games without community approval.

Comment

Working...
                                X