No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I woke up this afternoon to this and I almost jizzed but I had to do some quick research on this and I knew it was too good to be true!

It's another lazy job from from Capcom who's probably testing the waters again. I'm sooo mad it's unbelievable, after thorough examination I was sooo f**king disappointed once again!

They couldn't even bother to re-render the backgrounds in HD nor is the widescreen support true. you can clearly see that there is NO new details in the pre-rendered backgrounds and it is blatantly upscaled. What's worse is that the upscaling is disgustingly bad that even I can do a better job. Just look closely at the background environment textures, instead of having new details, the current details all seem to be meshed together by some sort of image filtering that looks horrible.

Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself (i.e. the concrete wall texture, doesnt look gritty at all but more 'wormy' if you asked me):

If they should do a proper remaster, they would revisit the project files for the backgrounds and render them out in 1920x1080. It will be the EXACT same background but rendered at a higher resolution and with a wider frame.

I also personally think it wouldn't take that long, since the game was done back in early 2000, computing power is nowhere as they are today, thus they would literally do all the rendering within a few days, maybe a week for the animated backgrounds at HD and utilizing better rendering techniques such as Global Illumination, Ambient Occulsion, it would literally smack every pre-rendered background game ever!

I really really really wish they do this! After so many years they are finally doing it but more or less a hack job.

I'm sorry for this rant but I really just want things to be done right if I am to purchase something that I have been yearning for something to happen for so many years.

Pleaseeeeeee Capcom! Dont' release it in this state! It's the perfect Resident Evil game and it deserves so much better treatment!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
      If they should do a proper remaster, they would revisit the project files for the backgrounds and render them out in 1920x1080. It will be the EXACT same background but rendered at a higher resolution and with a wider frame.
      I sincerely hope that this is still possible someday. The scrolling method seems like a good compromise in the meantime, almost like Code Veronica.

Comment

It looks pretty good, to me. I'll definitely be getting this, but certainly prefer a physical release - sick of this digital only strategy.

Rebirth is full of replay value already. Co-op is a novel idea, practically impossible in this engine without major rewrites to the code.

New costumes, weapons and monsters would be absolutely fantastic, though.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

To me, the "HD" part of this is just a nice side-touch. The real good thing about this game is that for the first time Resident Evil Remake is being ported to other systems. Up until now all you could do is play it on the GameCube or the Progressively-Scan updated Wii version. For the first time you can play it on the 360, PS3, PC, and the other next-gen systems. I actually thought that this game would never get ported.

And yes Mark, I agree with you. Sick of that digital crap as well. I'm old-fashioned. I prefer physical copies of my games.
          Last edited by RetroRain; 08-06-2014, 01:08 AM.
          My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

I prefer digital copies myself, but I like physical ones too as its always a good thing to have a back up.
            Last edited by Wrathborne; 08-06-2014, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajrich17901 View Post
              Truly don't understand this fanbase, you all bitch and moan that you want remake to come to other consoles and in hd...but when it does they all bitch and moan re7 wasn't announced instead. Friken bipolar community.
              This was my exact reaction when I saw the complaining.

People should just be glad they are even porting this Nintendo-exclusive that was never supposed to see the light of day on anything else. They are remastering this not remaking it....TLOU Remastered had nothing new offered with it, neither did Tomb Raider, why would anybody expect there to be new content for a 13-year old game? Giving it the HD treatment is enough for me.

and I for one don't think this looks like a sloppy remaster:

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                As much as I like this...What new content are they offering for the game?
                Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                It's another lazy job from from Capcom who's probably testing the waters again. They couldn't even bother to re-render the backgrounds in HD nor is the widescreen support true. you can clearly see that there is NO new details in the pre-rendered backgrounds and it is blatantly upscaled.
                Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                carbon copy of the Wii port.

Who else but Capcom?

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                  Achievements and trophies! If we really lucky a door loading skip option! Plus 3D stick control like RE2 N64!
                  I hope this time we'll get a complete trophy set.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                    This was my exact reaction when I saw the complaining.

People should just be glad they are even porting this Nintendo-exclusive that was never supposed to see the light of day on anything else. They are remastering this not remaking it....TLOU Remastered had nothing new offered with it, neither did Tomb Raider, why would anybody expect there to be new content for a 13-year old game? Giving it the HD treatment is enough for me.

and I for one don't think this looks like a sloppy remaster:
                    To be fair, I can relate with everyone who wants to see new content added. Back in 2001 when Halo CE was released, I fell in love with the game and played it nonstop. Sometimes I'd get to do LAN matche with my brother and his friends. One X-box would be in my room and the other X-box would be in my brothers room so we could play big matches 4v4 on BloodGulch, Sidewinder, Hang 'Em High, etc. On my own I liked to glitch out of the map and do stuff like re-board the pelican just as you unboarded it at the beginning of Assault On The Control Room. I'd be in the pelican as it flew off and get to journey down through the bowels of the Halo ring. I was there for Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and even Halo: Reach and I always looked forward to what new cool feature would be implemented in the game next. Sure, I loved the previous Halo game but this was opportunity to be able to do something entirely new and exciting whether it be a new weapon, a new enemy, new level editor features, etc. I just wanted to be able to expand the awesome experience that already was rather than some copy/paste job.

With a re-release of REmake, the potential is there for something new and exciting out of an already stellar game and people get hyped up over that. I also know that there will be no new content so shame on Capcom for that. When they re-released CVX, they left the game as broken and unfixed as the original and just updated the graphics. When I'm playing the extreme battle game as Wesker, I still get screwed over by pairs of hunters because their one-hit kill attack that they use when you're in CAUTION status can kill you even if you just healed. Nevermind if you get far enough to acquire the magnum for Wesker which is necessary to defeat the boss which uses a one-hit kill at knife range, there's a chance that you get DIJs diary instead which just as the hunters, screws you over.

I'd like that if Capcom did a re-release, they make it worth the money.

Comment

i think this going to be hilarious, but this is CAPCOM after all. they'll start with the Remake, they'll charge $40, then comes Zero, which they'll charge another $40 for it. then they'll do something about RE2, then RE3, and RECVX, and it'll just repeat it itself.

meanwhile, Square-Enix at least had the decency to remaster not one, but TWO games at the same time (FFX | FFX-2) and package them for $40...

edit: and now its down to $30.
                      Last edited by Branden_Lucero; 08-06-2014, 04:46 AM.
                      Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

One thing to take into account is that the GC version sold in the vacinity of 1.35-1.45 million copies.

That's less then a quarter of what RE5 sold and just over a quarter of what RE6 sold. Ignoring second hand sales and the percentage of X360 & PS3 owners that never owned a GC, that's proof that there is a huge audience of RE fans out there that have never played REMake. And I wonder how many of them never played the original trilogy.

It will be a shame if Capcom doesn't put in anything for long-term RE fans, but this remaster is probably more about Capcom seeing how open the wider audience are to this traditional experience than hardcore RE fans. And hopefully titles like DayZ, ZombiU & Alien: Isolation will show that there is still fertile ground in the survival horror genre for ideas.
                        "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                          One thing to take into account is that the GC version sold in the vacinity of 1.35-1.45 million copies.

That's less then a quarter of what RE5 sold and just over a quarter of what RE6 sold. Ignoring second hand sales and the percentage of X360 & PS3 owners that never owned a GC, that's proof that there is a huge audience of RE fans out there that have never played REMake. And I wonder how many of them never played the original trilogy.

It will be a shame if Capcom doesn't put in anything for long-term RE fans, but this remaster is probably more about Capcom seeing how open the wider audience are to this traditional experience than hardcore RE fans. And hopefully titles like DayZ, ZombiU & Alien: Isolation will show that there is still fertile ground in the survival horror genre for ideas.
                          and Evil Within.
                          sigpic
                          www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

The jury is still seems to be out on The Evi WIthin based on previews over the past 6 months. I really hope it's good but if someone was going to make a spiritual successor to 4, I wish it would focus on the crowd control, stealth, retreating and environment interactions of the village at the very start of the game then the room by room sweeping that we've got now.

Also, I'll be curious to know which direction Capcom are going down when it comes to re-rendering these backgrounds.

Option A (most likely) - the original 4:3 image is at 720p and upscaled in the zoomed in / 16:9 mode
                            Option B - the backgrounds are rendered so that when you are playing using 16:9 then what is displayed onscreen is at 720p and the overal 4:3 image is of a higher resolution (can't be arsed to do the math) and that is scaled down for the 4:3 image
                            Option C (least likely) - Each background is pre-rendered twice, once for 16:9 and once for 4:3
                            "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSpyda04 View Post
                              With a re-release of REmake, the potential is there for something new and exciting out of an already stellar game and people get hyped up over that. I also know that there will be no new content so shame on Capcom for that. When they re-released CVX, they left the game as broken and unfixed as the original and just updated the graphics. When I'm playing the extreme battle game as Wesker, I still get screwed over by pairs of hunters because their one-hit kill attack that they use when you're in CAUTION status can kill you even if you just healed. Nevermind if you get far enough to acquire the magnum for Wesker which is necessary to defeat the boss which uses a one-hit kill at knife range, there's a chance that you get DIJs diary instead which just as the hunters, screws you over.
                              CVX is perfectly fine, there's nothing broken about it. Why would a hunter stop its animation even if you paused to heal ? That would be silly.
                              The magnum isn't necessary at all to kill Alexia, it can be knifed. Sure it's harder, but surprisingly easy and fast at the same time when you get the hang of it.

Comment

This is totally awesome however 2015 seems so long for something like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X