Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carcinogen View Post
    they would be forced to go back into whatever program they made the backgrounds in to begin with, and screenshot them all over again. That's just as much work as redeveloping the game from the ground up
    Please try saying that aloud to yourself with a straight face.

Originally posted by Carcinogen View Post
    uncompressed backgrounds + redone character and enemy models = quit complaining about the visuals. They actually do look really good and do the original release justice.
    If they're indeed working with uncompressed 800x600 24-bit RGB images, then I will cut them some slack, because I agree that this would offer an appreciable boost in visual quality over the images stored on the GameCube discs. You can bet I'll be playing in 4:3 mode either way, though.

Comment

1) YES, the new backgrounds are upscaled. But this is not a bad thing, because they actually *do* look better because they are *uncompressed*. They also redid the lighting. Notice how much crisper the new images look, even at the same resolution? You couldn't do this by ripping the data out of the GCN disc. They had to compress the shit out of the backgrounds to get them to fit on two GCN discs. They had to put them on two GCN discs to begin with because there were multiple cutscenes that had alternate camera angles that appeared in the event data at different parts of the game.
      1) I don't think you know what uncompressed means.

2) The lighting is the same. The reason the light in that background is brighter is because the hardware adds the lighting, it's not drawn with it. For instance, Dolphin is unable to render some of that very lighting. The rest is just some very bad tweaking of the contrast settings. Crushed blacks are never a good thing.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• I'm eagerly waiting for the upcoming trailer in high quality to see the result for myself.

Comment

• When will Resident Evil 0 for HD?

Comment

Oh wow, you guys should go work for Capcom if you know how to make them look as good.
            Why don't you apply for a job? I heard that they are looking for a picture enlarger advisor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RE_004_bmp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	403727

Name:	RE_004_bmp_copy.png
Size:	1,007.5 KB
ID:	403728

There seems to be some confusion about the difference between the old backgrounds and the new backgrounds.
            There is no confusion, the more I look them, the more they look like 640x480 enlarged pictures.

I don't think any of you realize how much work it actually takes to program a game. If you had even a little bit of experience modding REmake or RE2 and understood how the game was programmed consequentially, you could see why they are doing what they did.
            We are not talking about developing a game from scratch, all the rooms and assets are already been made.
            Modding a game has nothing to do with it.

1) YES, the new backgrounds are upscaled. But this is not a bad thing, because they actually *do* look better because they are *uncompressed*.
            No, they look like shit because they are upscaled, this is not how you handle the situation.

People who work on something make textures at least at double the target resolution to have the source in case they have to change something afterwards, but since we don't know how to program a game, they do that because they are lazy and don't want to scale up the texture working at a resolution of 64x64, even if they are working with 16bit pictures.

They also redid the lighting. Notice how much crisper the new images look, even at the same resolution? You couldn't do this by ripping the data out of the GCN disc. They had to compress the shit out of the backgrounds to get them to fit on two GCN discs. They had to put them on two GCN discs to begin with because there were multiple cutscenes that had alternate camera angles that appeared in the event data at different parts of the game.
            You take the time to re do the lighting in all the rooms and then render them all again at low resolution? Why?

As already said by News Bot, that lighting is generated in real time from the engine, new algorithm, new lighting effects, "better" results.

The pictures don't look crisp but muddy and then sharpened.

Yes you could, the lighting affects only 3D geometry, if there were no lights on a scene, the background would still be visible.

Post processing effects are added over the picture.

To fit the pictures they did use Jpeg compression, but the backgrounds can be read clearly, contrarily to this new one. Resolution was only stretched from 640x480 to 512x448, preserving almost all the details, as the leap is minimal.

2) Camera panning was already done in Resident Evil 0 and it didn't look bad at all. The reason they did this is because they would be forced to go back into whatever program they made the backgrounds in to begin with, and screenshot them all over again. That's just as much work as redeveloping the game from the ground up and wouldn't even be worth it... Especially since it was an already good-looking game to begin with, and has assets that look just as good as games on a PS3 or PS4. The only way you could polish the stuff even further without having to snapshot every single camera angle over again and program the camera transition data for them, is to redo the character models. Which brings me to...
            They don't screenshot the backgrounds, they RENDER them, you open the software, load the project, change the resolution output to whatever resolution you like, hit render, save, done.

3) The character models are completely redone. Prerendered backgrounds with layer masks would eat up none of the VRAM that would be required by full 3D backgrounds like in RE4 (which still has dogshit visuals compared to this btw).
            Characters are exactly the same. Increasing the contrast on the textures is not making new characters.

In conclusion, uncompressed backgrounds + redone character and enemy models = quit complaining about the visuals. They actually do look really good and do the original release justice. Ye of little faith should care more about the game getting released to a new audience that didn't own GCNs or Wiis at the times the games were relevant. Capcom suffered poor sales of this game because it was released on a console that had a completely different install base from the Sony and Sega owners that the games met success with. The scenario design is the game's strong suit, and if Capcom manages to market this game correctly, then it will PROBABLY be used to fund REmake 2. Consider that.
            They are compressed even more and with artefacts such a noise dithering all over the place, original backgrounds were super sharp.

CAPCOM is selling a defective product that I have to buy just because they are making an effort to let anyone who hasn't play the game finally play it? They are making money out of a work already financed in 2002 again and again and I can't complain if the call this poorly executed upscaling a Remastered version?

Remastering of what? They are destroying visual information upscaling the backgrounds, adding all that noise to cover the actual lack of definition on the textures, this is an amateurish work, they should have released the game as it should, in 4:3 at 640x480, which is it's default resolution.

They didn't even came up with an explanation of this mess, they should have said the truth, that could be one of these, or a combination:

1) Our rendering software runs only on specific hardware that we don't own any more (i.e. SGI)

2) Our rendering software needs a license to be operated, we no longer have a license server/dongle to use it

3) Our rendering software loads the textures of a scene from a network that is no longer available (so blank render output or no rendering at all)

4) The projects file can't be opened by any new software (even if you manage to open the geometry, you have to setup the scene again, with lighting, texture, cameras, multipass render layers, etc. and composite them again)

5) We no longer have the project files

6) We no longer have the texture files
            Last edited by SonicBlue; 08-08-2014, 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Saving face > revealing truth

Comment

• Damn this is so right. I hate all these enhancementes to original A/V content, like those gross enhancements in new HDTVs. The renders are so upscalled and with brightness maxed out. It looks like cartoon, I would be satisfied if it was a straight port with no enhancements.

But we dont know if the game core would accept different scenarios other than the used ones.

Comment

• Arent alot of these screenshots still WIP, I'm sure it was specifically noted in some places

Comment

• What I don't understand is that some backgrounds were modified, for example the one where we find Forest. That's really strange. Maybe what they showed us is really not representative of the final product.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                      What I don't understand is that some backgrounds were modified, for example the one where we find Forest. That's really strange. Maybe what they showed us is really not representative of the final product.
                      The explanation is simple.

You can output the objects in your scene into different layers, this mean that you can assign a group of object to be rendered separately form the rest.

This is used in compositing, for example you render the reflections into a separate channel and blur them, this can save a lot of render times.

Example:

Name:	im15.jpg
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	403729

also, Maya documentation:
                      Working with render layers: different layer examples

Comment

• Wonder if they will change this in the re-release

Comment

• SonicBlue, you told it how it is! You literally beat me to it! let's go make a petition or something!

Don Piano, that is absolute gold! I hope they do not change that! Cause if they do, it shows that it is possible for them to go ahead and re-render the backgrounds!

Comment

• I'm too drunk I can;'t even read yalls posts properly

Comment

• If we can bring this up to their attention sooner than later, there is a better chance that they will do something about it before release!

Comment

• SonicBlue, would you ever consider porting BTM to PS4 with native uncompressed 24-bit 1920x1080 renders? What would be necessary to do this? The 3D models could totally be replaced too.

Comment

Working...
                                X