Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The EVil Within, what are your reactions to it so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EVil Within, what are your reactions to it so far?

Been watching it on Youtube since I'm flat broke right now and I like a lot of what I'm seeing in how its progressing. I mean it starts off pretty fucking weird and then goes to feeling like Silent Hill meets RE4, but after about 3 hours or so its starting to feel more like its own thing.

My biggest gripe is that after all this time watching whats going on, I still don't feel like I know any of the characters. I've definitely see some missed opportunities to tell a little bit more about Sebastian as a person.

I will say that this game doesn't feel very accessible though, In RE and in SH there was an openness to anyone to pick up a controller and learn the game and explore. This game doesn't really have that, its very specific about who its audience is, which is great, but if you aren't part of that audience that can be off putting.

I am impressed with the settings, the backgrounds some of the monster and the atmosphere is pretty damn good. The Resident Evil references have been charming and I like that I don't really know whats going on here, there are lots of hints and shit but thats been it.

Anyone else buy the game yet? I'm looking at it from a story perspective myself and have read that its very unforgiving as a game.

I'm still not 100% sure myself on this game either - whether to buy or not.
    If anything, the reason I am put off it the direct RE 'references' - or shall I say, RE4 Rip Off.

I mean, to think this guy is the father of RE and survival horror - and he has to copy Silent Hill and RE4? I've heard by others the game is a bit of a mish-mash of ideas and concepts, without anything really 'flowing'.. so to speak.
    Might get second hand if I can..
    "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

From a story perspective I've just heard Evil Within is hard to follow and people can view it differently (but they always say that about games with stupid stories). I would of picked it up on Steam but the PC version looks awful (huge borders, 30fps only, etc). I'm sure its a decent game otherwise. I decided instead I'll get it around Christmas and by then they should of fixed some of the issues, I like a good horror game to play over the holidays.

Besides I had just finished Alien Isolation and its DLC, which is a thoroughly awesome and intense game (maybe my 2nd scariest game after SH1?), so I've really had enough horror for now, hah.

Comment

well im currently playing it, im impressed with the enemy designs and their AI, like if your expecting an enemy to come from the door ur looking at, think again, they'll come at you from anywhere lol.... bullets are hard to come by unlike resident evil or dead space, only twice i have jumped when scared i was hoping it would happen more often like dead space but still have a long way to go.

i've died sooo many times and the next time i come to that situation again its slightly different

so far its a great game, still waiting for it to give me a few scares

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
          I would of picked it up on Steam but the PC version looks awful (huge borders, 30fps only, etc). I'm sure its a decent game otherwise. I decided instead I'll get it around Christmas and by then they should of fixed some of the issues, I like a good horror game to play over the holidays.
          You can disable the style driven cinematic borders/aspect ratio and change the framerate on to 60 with little effort.

To unlock the debug console, right click on The Evil Within in Steam, hit properties, then go to 'set launch options'. Enter +com_allowconsole 1 to activate the console in-game using the Insert key.

R_swapinterval <NUMBER>
          Sets the FPS lock. Note that the numbers below are negative.
          -2: This is the default, set to 30 FPS. This is the officially supported frame rate
          -1: This sets the FPS limit to 60. Fully playable, although there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these).
          0: This fully unlocks the FPS. We do not recommend playing above 60. We will not fix any issues above 60.

R_forceaspectratio <NUMBER>
          Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio.
          0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don’t want bars.

Comment

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
            I'm still not 100% sure myself on this game either - whether to buy or not.
            If anything, the reason I am put off it the direct RE 'references' - or shall I say, RE4 Rip Off.

I mean, to think this guy is the father of RE and survival horror - and he has to copy Silent Hill and RE4? I've heard by others the game is a bit of a mish-mash of ideas and concepts, without anything really 'flowing'.. so to speak.
            Might get second hand if I can..
            How is it possible for one to rip off their own game? I see no reason why not for him to include the references.....they were HIS creations. From my short time playing it I can already tell it is going to be far better than anything in the RE series created after RE4.

Originally posted by P.I.M.P. View Post
            well im currently playing it, im impressed with the enemy designs and their AI, like if your expecting an enemy to come from the door ur looking at, think again, they'll come at you from anywhere lol
            This.

Right now I'm only on chapter 3 stuck on a boss. Don't underestimate this game thinking it's another RE4 clone. It is a challenging combination of REmake's ammo/health scarcity and RE4's enemy count. Also the brutal death scenes are a plus. Hated RE5/6's censorship. I say if you don't plan on playing it you are missing out.
            Last edited by CODE_umb87; 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

So the big reveal on whats going on has happened in the game and I have to say, I didnt see it coming and its a pretty cool concept.

Later in the game theres a setting thats similar the mines from RE1 and the Goonies trap section of RE4 and its pretty damn good. But I'm still pretty sad that What I'm seeing is about at the end of the game and I still only know a little bit about Sebastian the main character, like I said I saw missed opportunities to show some more of him as a person besides his main story arc.

I know these games generally aren't known for doing that, but taking a few moments to let the characters get to know eachother is a really important part of a story.

EDIT:..You know, I just noticed something about this game, chunks of it feel very similar to what we call Resident Evil 3.5.
              Last edited by Wrathborne; 10-15-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                This.

Right now I'm only on chapter 3 stuck on a boss. Don't underestimate this game thinking it's another RE4 clone. It is a challenging combination of REmake's ammo/health scarcity and RE4's enemy count. Also the brutal death scenes are a plus. Hated RE5/6's censorship. I say if you don't plan on playing it you are missing out.
                are u referring to the chainsaw guy? the amount of times i crapped bcuz i didnt kno where he was comin from lol

Comment

Originally posted by P.I.M.P. View Post
                  are u referring to the chainsaw guy? the amount of times i crapped bcuz i didnt kno where he was comin from lol

Yes. I wasn't expecting him to be so fast. The sprint meter was killing me so I had to stop-run-stop-run lol.

Comment

You know...I'm really suspicious that the afflicted monsters from Revelations 2 are designed to be a fuck you to Shinji Mikami.

The similarities between the afflicted and the zombies(?) from EW are noticeable. Both seem to be into pretty severe self mutilation.

The new giant afflicted that was just shown off earlier looks like it came out of EW more than anything.

Comment

$60 is too much for me to spend on one game right now so I'll wait for the price to drop. It will probably be a very long time until I buy it on Steam. I've watched cutscenes of the game and the story is convoluted and shallow. It's a shame because the settings and enemy designs are top-notch. Did Shinji write the story for this game?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                          You can disable the style driven cinematic borders/aspect ratio and change the framerate on to 60 with little effort.
                          Yeah, I was aware of course, but those fixes aren't perfect and it just looks on the whole very poorly optimized for PC. http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/com..._port_quality/

May as well wait for awhile.. amazing that they can launch a game with literally no graphics option in the menu.

Comment

"Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps and to utilize an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms."

Why?? Why??

Maybe this is pretty much like RE4... performance saving. The game outputs 1080p and its not cinema wide, its just black bars. It is sad we already suffer from ultra low field of view, now we have black bars and slow motion frame rate

I dunno why bethesda, sony, and MS allowed these issues, and steam should remove this from their store.

Comment

I love how Bethesda didn't even develop this game and yet it still turned out to be a completely unoptimized, resource hogging mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X