Shinji Mikami's Most Dislike Resident Evil Characters is Rebecca Chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinji Mikami's Most Dislike Resident Evil Characters is Rebecca Chambers

Shinji Mikami recently shared his approach about horror games while promoting Evil Within. Apparently, he loves strong yet vulnerable characters in his games, which is the main reason why Jill and Claire are portrayed in this way in their respective games. He then went on to single out Rebecca Chambers as his most dislike characters in his games, and went on to elaborate why; "She’s submissive, she’s not independent. I didn’t want to include her but the staff wanted that kind of character in the game, for whatever reason. I’m sure it made sense to them. And in Japan, that character is pretty popular.”

With his new title, Evil Within, heading for release, we talk to the creator of the Resident Evil series about terror, technique and the problem with female characters. By Keith Stuart

She asserted herself really well in RE0 though...

Comment

I now understand why the inclusion of Rebecca in RE1 felt so out of place compared to Chris, Jill, Barry and Wesker. She makes no sense in the story because she was just included as a fan service character.

Well, at least Mikami has a good vision about women in videogames. I give him that.

Comment

Without Rebecca, I'd argue that Chris' scenario would lack any vulnerability. He doesn't have the luxury of an ever present partner character to express his feelings to, like Jill, so he shows little fear over the first zombie, at the deaths of the Bravo team, etc. He just powers through the mansion like a super hero. I don't think there's a problem with someone who relies on others during horror. I can't see how Rebecca is worse than Ashley Graham, whose only contribution was throwing a lamp.

Comment

I think it would have been better to scrap Rebecca and to have Wesker as a sidekick during Chris' scenario. Not only this duo would have been kickass but also Wesker's betrayal would have been more shocking.

EDIT : Or maybe the scrap of Rebecca could have influenced Capcom to put Barry in both scenario. That way we could have two canon story. I think Rebecca really distracted the story of the game.
          Last edited by Grem; 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Rebecca as a character just wasn't well used. Her contributions include piano playing, forgetting the life saving serum, abandoning Chris to do the vjolt mission(instead of fighting the fucking thing), gettign shot by Wesker, and starting the self destruct device.

Barry wasn't an infinitely better deal of help, but he did give you some helpful items and save you from a few monsters and 1 trap.

Comment

I actually like Rebecca .. her vulnerability added to the horror IMO - especially when playing as her in Zero.
              Her and Claire are my personal favorites, then Jill a close third..
              "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Blashphemy!

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                  Rebecca as a character just wasn't well used. Her contributions include piano playing, forgetting the life saving serum, abandoning Chris to do the vjolt mission(instead of fighting the fucking thing), gettign shot by Wesker, and starting the self destruct device.

Barry wasn't an infinitely better deal of help, but he did give you some helpful items and save you from a few monsters and 1 trap.

That's because according to game's difficulty setting, Jill is on easy and Chris is on hard. They made it like that on purpose to demonstrate the difference.
                  Complete global saturation....*Headshot*....You are going to be very sorry....

Comment

I think RE0 Rebecca was a pretty solid character. She was just tossed into this hellish situation and pretty much saw her friends and entire team get mauled and killed by all these creatures and just when she survives the first ordeal she has to go through is ALL again in RE1 and she keeps her cool and hold her own. Now THAT is a strong female character if I've ever seen one.

Comment

the problem with Rebecca in Zero is that she was weak minded and easily manipulated, and tends to get into shit she could entirely avoid.
                      Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X